U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 06:54 AM

5,046 posts, read 5,216,953 times

Advertisements

I am on facebook ; anyone want to join me?
d
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2010, 09:14 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,034,524 times
I think its just the fact that any sort of debate, even if its kept somewhat civil, is not allowed here, which reduces this forum to nothing but people looking to move to the Poconos from NY/NJ, which becomes pretty boring after a while....it becomes like a broken record.

The only thing that keeps me from joining the facebook group is that facebook gives out your real name, personal info, and allows anyone on your friends list to see your pictures and stuff. And I've had someone from C-D recently stalk me on the comment section of the Times-Tribune site, posting negative remarks towards my comments and signing their name as "go phillies." I have an idea of who it might be from here, but who knows? Nonetheless its a little creepy and pathetic that someone goes to those lengths to criticize my opinions. So yeah, potentially giving someone like that my real identity on Facebook might not be a great idea. And apparently Paul has quite the group of stalkers who post on the T-T site using his online alias.

Old 04-23-2010, 10:31 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,274,817 times
What you said, Go Phillies.

I joined Facebook for about two hours. That's all it took for me to decide I wasn't interested in having as many "friends" as possible with no real substance otherwise. When you try to disinstall (quit) the site, they do everything possible to talk you out of it, and when they eventually relent, they send you an e mail to let you know that your information is still there and you can "come back" anytime.

As far as helping out-of-towners decide where to live, most of that info is already here if folks would just type in the search box. (Who decides where to live from listening to a bunch of strangers is beyond me.)

I agree that the NEPA forum is lagging just now, but it is, after all, Spring, and I'm sure lots of us are enjoying the great outdoors of Pennsylvania.

You wanna see some action? Just post something containing the words Chris Doherty, Janet Evans, KOZ's or Scranton U. That usually gets it going.

Old 04-23-2010, 12:31 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,379,822 times
What the NEPA area really needs is a local chat forum. Facebook is good, but most only use it to find people they already know.

I liked coming here when it was more chatty, but that isn't the design of this site. Now that the site is actually achieving its design it isn't so entertaining for those of us that already know about the area.

In my opinion this site would be more fun if each area had a "regional off topic" section. so all the locals could have a place to chat, argue and discuss while keeping the local information in another area for those interested in the area.

The city I live in has several local chat forums away from C-D. they are the strongest social networking our city can have. I have met dozens of good people with similar interests that live right down the road. It is a great local resource. the contributors of the forums have sections for photography, off road, shooting, politics, schools, religion, sports, ham radio, couponing and on and on.

Old 04-23-2010, 04:42 PM

31,926 posts, read 73,550,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnqpublic View Post
Vendetta? I LIVE in Scranton, I have read your posts, but you have me confused with other people who dont much care for your holier than thou , know it all attitude... Grow up youngun!!! ;-]
Yep. Added emphasis on the word "LIVE", and yet you're not one of those who has an ax to grind with me on the Times-Tribune for trying to offer up advice when I live in Virginia? Interesting.

Old 04-23-2010, 04:46 PM

31,926 posts, read 73,550,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
And apparently Paul has quite the group of stalkers who post on the T-T site using his online alias.
It's actually much, much worse than just that. One of those with an ax to grind from the Times-Tribune has also started posting under "SWB" on a forum I post on in Virginia as well, mocking me, and forcing me to clarify what was going on. Someone created a fictitious Facebook account (three, as a matter of fact) and started to hurl abuse towards me until I figured out how to alter my privacy settings to block them. Someone keeps stealing not only my established alias on the newspaper's web site, but also that of "Reader" and, as you said, has called you out by your City-Data screenname on there as well. There's a LOT of mentally ill people that bounce between here and that web site (and that is sad coming from an ill person himself! LOL!)

Old 04-23-2010, 08:18 PM

2,760 posts, read 3,706,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RestonRunner86 View Post
It's actually much, much worse than just that. One of those with an ax to grind from the Times-Tribune has also started posting under "SWB" on a forum I post on in Virginia as well, mocking me, and forcing me to clarify what was going on. Someone created a fictitious Facebook account (three, as a matter of fact) and started to hurl abuse towards me until I figured out how to alter my privacy settings to block them. Someone keeps stealing not only my established alias on the newspaper's web site, but also that of "Reader" and, as you said, has called you out by your City-Data screenname on there as well. There's a LOT of mentally ill people that bounce between here and that web site (and that is sad coming from an ill person himself! LOL!)
I feel bad people are messing with you...but I doubt they are mentally ill, just major buttholes with to much time on their hands!!!!!!!! Simply put the heavy handed control of this site has turned many off...myself included.

Old 04-23-2010, 08:30 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,659,862 times
This forum sucks anyway, the Mods can have it all to themselves. Hey, aren't we far enough off topic to have this thread closed?

Old 04-23-2010, 08:35 PM

3,756 posts, read 9,039,389 times
Hi All BlueDiamond here. Jungle George is on facebook but I will let him know..........Seems like a lot of fun people are not hear as much as they used to be.

Blue

Old 04-23-2010, 08:40 PM

3,756 posts, read 9,039,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
I am on facebook ; anyone want to join me?
d
I am having a hard time finding you send me a dM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania