Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2010, 03:25 PM

13,252 posts, read 33,408,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RestonRunner86 View Post
Wow! (Tumbleweed rolling on by. Crickets chirping. People grieving.) Is it about time we put the NEPA sub-forum out to pasture already?

What has happened to this sub-forum? Before I relocated and started contributing more to (and becoming embroiled within) other forums the NEPA sub-forum was one of the most active on City-Data, attracting dozens of new posts each day. Now we're lucky to see one new thread started daily, and more often than not it's not someone seeking relocation-oriented advice but rather someone starting a "chat"-type thread or a troll slamming the region.

Where have all the "regulars" gone? I LOVE PA, memoriesbre, greentown, NYRangers 2008, Jungle George, weluvpa, EnyaGirl, Retired Law 08, scrantonluna, CHS89, donnanhonesdale, shoegal111, etc., etc., where have y'all gone? I know we're all more active now with Facebook, but have we all generally arrived at the consensus that this forum is always going to have to be a shell of its former self? I haven't even seen toobusytoday around as much as of late.

Is there anything that can be done to "save" this forum? I'm not saying we have to return to the days of the same six of we "macho" guys arguing about Scranton politics while everyone else grabbed the popcorn and watched the carnage unfold as our poor moderator had a coronary slapping us with infractions, but when I was most active here in 2006-2008 this forum was a model for many other sub-forums. I inspired others to post their own photo tours. Summering could interject with....her....inspiring thoughts...and truly make anyone smile. Jungle George would post some potty humor and make everyone laugh. Newcomers seeking help were in abundance. We kicked around the idea of a forum "meet-and-greet" all the time. Now it's dead.

What would get people to start contributing again?

P.S. I know this is "off-topic", but it should still stand just long enough for people to give ideas on what can be done to bring back the scores who left.

This thread may be more productive if we concentrated on the last sentence.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2010, 03:46 PM

2,473 posts, read 5,436,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I just don't get GROWN adults that get angry over rules and consequences. It blows my mind. No wonder bullying and corruption are rampant here. Apparently it's not cool to report bad behavior, or behavior that breaks the rules. @@
All right, I just HAVE to chime in...

What happened to this forum has nothing to do with so-called "rules & consequences" per se...it has to do with the WAY those "rules & consequences" are enforced.

These same posters have gone on & on with their debates/arguments/etc. BEFORE the past year, & they got their infractions/reprimands/deletions/etc., but the threads weren't shut down at the drop of a hat. (not HighHat either...)

I happen to not agree with the "telling Mommy" thing...to a point. There's alerting a mod to a potentially dangerous or explosive situation, & then there's throwing someone under the bus because "I don't agree & think you're being a "bully".

The previous mod had absolutely NO problem keeping this forum in check while debates/discussions & information flowed instead of shutting down threads unnecessarily, resulting in the exit of more & more posters in disgust.

Grade school?? YES!!! I see it plainly, & from those who ***** about "grown adults" acting like grade-schoolers as well as those who actually do!!

Old 04-27-2010, 03:50 PM

1,305 posts, read 2,615,538 times
Cant rep, so two thumbs up J. G.!!!

Old 04-27-2010, 04:33 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,911,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RestonRunner86 View Post
What would get people to start contributing again?
Civil discourse.

Old 04-27-2010, 04:44 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,203,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnqpublic View Post
A interesting observation... seems like only one or two posters are "picked on" {their words} Of the volumnous posters here, one would have to ask ones self, what have I done that so many others have issues with me??? If it is happening on several boards, different topics, different parts of the country... why? "THE LIFE UNEXAMINED.....
\

Interesting. I never said I was "picked on". I know that I said this is the ONLY board where disagreement is met with nastiness, personal attacks, a bajillion and one smilies, etc instead of hardcore logic.

I participate on several national boards and do not ever encounter this kind of thing. But I'm really not surprised. I know the types of people I deal with in this area IRL, so why should a board of the area be any different, right? As a matter of fact that majority on THIS board would be the very small minority on my other boards. IOW, the people on my other boards can disagree without turning it personal.

Old 04-27-2010, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle George View Post
All right, I just HAVE to chime in...

What happened to this forum has nothing to do with so-called "rules & consequences" per se...it has to do with the WAY those "rules & consequences" are enforced.

These same posters have gone on & on with their debates/arguments/etc. BEFORE the past year, & they got their infractions/reprimands/deletions/etc., but the threads weren't shut down at the drop of a hat. (not HighHat either...)

I happen to not agree with the "telling Mommy" thing...to a point. There's alerting a mod to a potentially dangerous or explosive situation, & then there's throwing someone under the bus because "I don't agree & think you're being a "bully".

The previous mod had absolutely NO problem keeping this forum in check while debates/discussions & information flowed instead of shutting down threads unnecessarily, resulting in the exit of more & more posters in disgust.

Grade school?? YES!!! I see it plainly, & from those who ***** about "grown adults" acting like grade-schoolers as well as those who actually do!!

Guess what George? Hitting a report button doesn't always lead to mod action. That is up to the mod.

If we all REALLY cared about civil discourse on this board, then not a one of you would have such issues about following rules. I've read quite a few of the old threads from years past. What a disaster. Always the same ones jumping on people. Always the same ones saying nasty things. Why is THAT ok? But it's not ok to report for going against the rules?

I really, really, really cannot understand this POV at all. Like I said, I'm not surprised at the level of bullying and corruption in this area when reporting bad behavior is looked at as tattle taling, ruining a community, etc. It's f'ed up beyond belief. ::shaking head::

Old 04-27-2010, 04:49 PM

And another point: you guys aren't even really complaining about HOW the complaints are handled, you are complaining that there are reports even made in the first place. THAT is what I don't understand.

Old 04-27-2010, 04:50 PM

1,305 posts, read 2,615,538 times
"I know the types of people I deal with in this area IRL, so why should a board of the area be any different, right?"

I gess us hicks in dese her parts is uncivil!!! LOL

Old 04-27-2010, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnqpublic View Post
"I know the types of people I deal with in this area IRL, so why should a board of the area be any different, right?"

I gess us hicks in dese her parts is uncivil!!! LOL
Dude, I am from this area, born and raised. Still living here, so don't try to pull that with me.

I am saying that I see this type of behavior IRL. It's not cool to tell on others, don't "rat" others out. Don't tell your boss that your co-worker is doing something wrong. Mind your own business.

It only makes sense that this same attitude would flow into a forum with regulars from such an area.

Old 04-27-2010, 04:56 PM

2,009 posts, read 3,770,185 times
My question is why are people reporting people to the mods? I just see alot of disagreeing on here, but i honestly haven't seen anything that warrants a report to the mods, clue me in here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania