Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 01:55 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,665,452 times

Advertisements

I think johnq is right. If we think way, way, back.........we were a group who came into City Data one by one. Different years, different times........
Then we became internet friends. I really love to look up and see one of our familiar posters names.......It certainly makes me smile.
I can only think of perhaps three or four names that would banter a bit overboard. Somewhat hostile, a bit off topic, and aggresive. Really at times it was interesting to follow.......Other times it was too long and drawn out. I can't ever remember hitting the RED button over these arguments.
But, I won't say "never"........maybe if someone was being called hateful names, I might have.
All in all I think the NEPA people enjoy each others company here. This place is one of a kind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2010, 02:45 PM

1,294 posts, read 3,254,386 times
I love this forum, its the only place I can reconnect with where I grew up.

Old 04-26-2010, 03:47 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton56 View Post
Oh please, you know full well that those Facebook pages were NOT designed because you're gay. You know what behaviors lead to those pages. No, they weren't nice, and they shouldn't have been set up, you know why they did it, and it's not because you're gay, or Italian, or whatever.
Right. They did it because they blamed ME for something I didn't do! I was also THREATENED. I guess you didn't hear that one, huh?

Old 04-26-2010, 03:51 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenRice View Post
In all my years of getting into debates and arguments online (I cut my teeth on the Yahoo news message boards) I have never experienced the level of whining and victimizing (? not sure if that's the word I want) that I see here.

I had trolls impersonate my online persona back in the day - it was annoying at first until all the regulars discovered it was a troll. It was then funny. Then I made a troll of myself impersonating the troll impersonating me...ha ha - it got ridiculous and then eventually went away.

It seems that some people ENJOY the negative drama and take it WAY TOO SERIOUSLY otherwise why would they spend so much time whining and complaining about it publicly? I hid one persons FB updates because they were constant whine fests about someone who was being harrassing. The best way to stop someone from harrassing you is to pull the plug on their power - don't let them know it gets to you, don't whine about it online, just ignore it, don't read the texts, don't read the emails, and if it continues alert the authorities.

Life is too short and this cyberspace here is NOT life. If it ceases to be enjoyable then move on to something else. I have left message boards in the past for that reason - either I grew bored with it, or I didn't enjoy it anymore, or it became an unpleasant experience - I am not one to wallow around in an unpleasant environment and wonder why it's unpleasant - I JUST LEAVE AND FIND SOMETHING PLEASANT TO DO.

I pop in and out of Talkbalk, I pop in and out of here, I'm on facebook more than anything because I ENJOY IT. I have a few real estate boards I go to when I have time....

BUT MOST OF MY TIME IS SPENT ENJOYING THE REAL WORLD - the world outside my door, the world apart from my computer.

TRY IT - you may like it.
Well, Karen, you made it no secret I'm the person in particular you are referencing, and I hope you'll never someday have to deal with people sending you all sorts of harassing e-mails, stalking you onto multiple forums, creating fictitious Facebook accounts, threatening your job, etc., etc. because then maybe you wouldn't be so quick to condemn. This has grown to be MUCH more severe than just "innocent fun." These people potentially even know where I live, and I've grown so paranoid now I look everywhere when I'm coming and going. Judging by what I experienced in a fracas involving the police on the NoVA sub-forum and what I've witnessed from the city council meetings in Scranton there are PLENTY of people who can't keep Internet squabbles ONLINE.

Old 04-26-2010, 04:02 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,008,541 times
Actually, I have almost 600 people that I am "friends with" on FB. I have hidden the updates of at least two dozen people because I found them tiresome/annoying.

I did not make anything obvious - there are plenty of whiners out there.

Old 04-26-2010, 04:35 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,097,857 times

Old 04-26-2010, 08:09 PM

2,014 posts, read 3,898,753 times
I'll say this much, the soap opera that this thread is brought me back. At least vicariously

Old 04-26-2010, 08:31 PM

7,931 posts, read 15,821,616 times

Old 04-26-2010, 09:28 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Paul,

Here is my advice to you:

Find another forum where people don't blame victims for the actions of others. Find a forum where disagreement can be met with logical conversation rather than nasty, mean personal attacks.

Some of you have really made my jaw drop. ::shaking head:: What amazes me is this is the ONLY forum where I have ever seen this level of negativity.

Old 04-26-2010, 09:31 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Oh and I will come out and say right now:

Yes, I have reported personal attacks. Yes, I've reported other rule violations. Why? Because if you can't follow the rules like a civilized adult, you should be told about it. If you can't disagree without resorting to personal attacks, then you shouldn't be posting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania