U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 06:51 PM

9 posts, read 23,088 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm in Carbon county - anyone there??
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2007, 02:41 AM

91,474 posts, read 88,750,037 times
we are going to look at some gated communities in carbon county this weekend. currently living in nyc but hope to retire in pa.

Old 06-13-2007, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
we are going to look at some gated communities in carbon county this weekend. currently living in nyc but hope to retire in pa.
Hello, nice to meet you. I'm a Brit living in Carbon, so I'm not sure - what are gated communities?

Old 06-13-2007, 08:35 AM

27,090 posts, read 27,015,031 times
Hi

I lived in Kunkletown for 20 years...loved it...but now, it's so different...so, populated and since I don't enjoy the cold, I suppose someday, I'll have to move south...I love people, would just prefer them not to live all around me yanno, it scares the begezzes outa me Love wide open spaces, not much traffic, etc. 20 minutes to the grocery store, no strip malls, etc. that makes me happy...plus the water/ocean/sea

but some really great people live in the Poconos and I miss them....

Old 06-13-2007, 10:01 AM

31,572 posts, read 71,637,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheasy View Post
Hello, nice to meet you. I'm a Brit living in Carbon, so I'm not sure - what are gated communities?
Gated communities are just as they sound---residential housing areas that are surrounded by a gate and only accessibly by either swiping a card or getting checked in by a guard. Why they are being built in nearly crime-free Carbon County is beyond me, as they are usually built in areas where people want to live, yet also want to keep the "criminal element" out. Then again, A Pocono Country Place is a gated community in Monroe County with about 10,000 residents, yet I've heard nothing but bad things about the crime there. On the other hand, "The Hideout" is a gated community in Wayne County, yet I've heard nothing but great things about it. I suppose it's just a gamble on as to whether or not the gates will keep the lowlives out or trap them inside.

Old 06-13-2007, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Hi

I lived in Kunkletown for 20 years...loved it...but now, it's so different...so, populated and since I don't enjoy the cold, I suppose someday, I'll have to move south...I love people, would just prefer them not to live all around me yanno, it scares the begezzes outa me Love wide open spaces, not much traffic, etc. 20 minutes to the grocery store, no strip malls, etc. that makes me happy...plus the water/ocean/sea

but some really great people live in the Poconos and I miss them....
Hi Creme, nice too meet you - I'm in Kunkletown. I really like it here.

Old 06-13-2007, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
Gated communities are just as they sound---residential housing areas that are surrounded by a gate and only accessibly by either swiping a card or getting checked in by a guard. Why they are being built in nearly crime-free Carbon County is beyond me, as they are usually built in areas where people want to live, yet also want to keep the "criminal element" out. Then again, A Pocono Country Place is a gated community in Monroe County with about 10,000 residents, yet I've heard nothing but bad things about the crime there. On the other hand, "The Hideout" is a gated community in Wayne County, yet I've heard nothing but great things about it. I suppose it's just a gamble on as to whether or not the gates will keep the lowlives out or trap them inside.
Hi SWB, nice too meet you. I haven't noticed any gated communities here, however there are many places that you just don't know about. I agree, our area has a really low crime rate.

Old 06-13-2007, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheasy View Post
Hi SWB, nice too meet you. I haven't noticed any gated communities here, however there are many places that you just don't know about. I agree, our area has a really low crime rate.
we are looking at golden oaks village and its a 55+ community in white haven.

Old 06-14-2007, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
we are looking at golden oaks village and its a 55+ community in white haven.
Hi thats quite a bit more north that I am, so had to do a search to find it.

It looks really nice, when are you thinking of moving?

Golden Oaks Village Homepage

Old 06-14-2007, 04:38 PM

we are going this weekend to take a 2nd look. if they make the right deal we may buy early since we arent really ready to retire for about 3 years. we want to pull the plug early as im 55 now and my wife 57.

we would use it as a 2nd home and the kids will all make use of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania