U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2010, 05:32 PM

21 posts, read 54,173 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My husband and I are heading out to Wilkes-Barre for a concert while we are staying in NY and wondering if there is much to do there?
We are looking at coming to spend the day of the concert is on but wanted to be prepared. Can anyone advise?

Thanks so much.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 09:20 PM

2 posts, read 3,176 times
Hi:

Wilkes-Barre is worth more than a look. Just two weeks ago my DW and I went to a vintage car show in the Public Square and just tonight there was an Art Show in the Square. There are very nice older homes in Wilkes-Barre and can be had for a Song and a Dance. I must tell you there are some parts of Wilkes-Barre, you have to be careful about as well as staying away from South Wilkes-Barre, but even there, there a some exceptions, such as Barney Farms where the Mayor lives. My advice to you is to spend a week there or at least weekend. I know you will fall in love with it.
Check it out!!! Gnomey

Old 05-20-2010, 11:17 PM

21 posts, read 54,173 times
Thanks Gnomey

Old 05-22-2010, 03:31 PM

1,973 posts, read 4,986,995 times
The Weekender, Northeast PA

Old 05-24-2010, 06:54 AM

1,483 posts, read 3,031,176 times
What about Flood??? I've heard some horror stories about this city having some serious flooding issues.

Old 05-25-2010, 06:33 AM

1,973 posts, read 4,986,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlonaG View Post
What about Flood??? I've heard some horror stories about this city having some serious flooding issues.
We had a major flood in 1972 that wiped out downtown and much of south W-B. Since then they have rebuilt the dyke, it is much higher now. We haven't had a major flood since then, and only certain parts of town are in the flood zone, not the entire city.

Old 05-26-2010, 08:31 AM

31,935 posts, read 73,626,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlonaG View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by W-B proud View Post
We had a major flood in 1972 that wiped out downtown and much of south W-B. Since then they have rebuilt the dyke, it is much higher now. We haven't had a major flood since then, and only certain parts of town are in the flood zone, not the entire city.
In more recent years the only part of the city that has flooded, to my knowledge, is a small section of South Wilkes-Barre near to Solomon's Creek. In 2006 there was a huge scare with the river that prompted the evacuation of hundreds of thousands of people, but thankfully the Susquehanna crested far below what the dire forecast originally predicted. If anything Kingston and Forty Fort, across the river from Wilkes-Barre, would flood first, since they sit a few feet lower in elevation. A flood would be the last of my concerns about living in Wilkes-Barre.

Old 05-26-2010, 03:14 PM

22,629 posts, read 29,270,896 times
As far as a small affordable semi-East Coast city goes, Wilkes Barre ROCKS!
And will rock more in the future.
This city is going nowhere but up.
Get in while the getting is good!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania