Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 05:24 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
If anybody is going to do the cross country trip here's some advice. Get yourself one of those big fat Rand Mcnally maps at Wal Mart and point your car in any direction.
Always, always wanted to do that!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 11:59 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,665,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
And a CB radio ; we used a map and CB and it was GREAT.
That is an interesting idea. Our daughter use to use one( CB) back and forth from PA to NJ.....It was helpful in those Blakeslee storms. Isn't the navigator suppose to get you going to where you need to be. I'm trying to get more use to it. I know as time goes on they will dramatically improve.
I don't like having to punch in each letter for a street.....then scroll.....and see its not there.

Old 05-25-2010, 01:05 PM

539 posts, read 1,068,896 times
OKDorothy: kudos on wanting a radio, I had a Ham Radio license a couple of years when I was in HS (1970-71), but then I had to use morse code. I found out a few years ago that you don't need code anymore to get a license, so I got a new one, over 30 years later. You *do* have to study for a written test (multiple choice now), and there are 3 levels of licences. With the easiest one, you can get a callsign and have a fairly inexpensive radio at home or in the car, and with the repeaters on the mountaintops, talk a good 50 miles around. With the higher level licenses you can run more power and operate on certain frequencies to make contacts world wide. I did 2 things in the past few years on my radio "bucket list", worked all 50 states, and later, over 100 countries around the world. I'm 55 now and never gave a normal bucket list much though, but would just aim for a few things now off the top of my head.
-perhaps one day visit Hawaii (been to Alaska & all other 48 states)
-see the Canadian Rockies
-go to Austria again (was there a few days at age 10 - my dad's parents were born there)
-also a few other cool places like France, Australia, Japan, maybe Tibet or Nepal
- have a new "later in life" group of a few caring, philosophical & spiritual friends
- drive a trolley car (a few museums allow this with special arrangements)
- perhaps write a book based on my life, thoughts, and experiences
Still have to think about more, if there are more... but nice thread.

Old 05-25-2010, 03:06 PM

Frank, very interesting indeed.....Looks like you've been to many cool places.......
But, make that Bucket list visit to Hawaii and complete your states visits......
Wonder if it counts to just put your feet on one island there..........or do you have to visit them all for it to count?.....( my vote is just one, but more fun to do them all....)
Some great ideas for your bucket list.......thanks

Old 05-25-2010, 05:28 PM

1,935 posts, read 3,144,310 times
My bucket list (not in any particular order):
1) Re-connect with as many former shipmates I can find from when I was in the Navy ('78 - '82)
2) Visit all the ports we pulled into while in the Navy (Japan, Philippines, Hong Kong, Korea, Singapore, Thailand, Australia, Guam)
3) See Alaska once again (1st time was in 2004)
4) Finally get my helicopter pilot license
5) Own a '64 split-coupe Stingray
6) Catch a ride in a Navy F-14B Tomcat (might never happen since they've been decommissioned but you never know)
7) Fly a UH-1N helicopter just like the ones that flew in VietNam
8) See Italy to experience authentic Italian pasta
9) Go on a cruise to be out on the ocean once again since leaving the Navy
10) Maybe some day learn to paint

Old 05-25-2010, 06:36 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,766,703 times
In the last few weeks I did a few things I never did before...

1. Had my first jello shot(s)

2. Ate a baby octopus off the chinese buffet...just because.

I'm not hard to please......I try to just make each day a day I can basically wear a smile the whole day.....too much in life has pulled me in directions I didn't want to go....now I'm just happy with a plain old good day, one with no bad news.

Old 05-26-2010, 05:21 AM

407 posts, read 967,100 times
Mine is short.
1. Stay alive for awhile longer.

Old 05-26-2010, 05:57 AM

Great job everyone............Long and short lists...........
Think real hard as we have just one life to get this list done in.......and just so much time...LOL

Old 05-26-2010, 06:19 AM

1,162 posts, read 3,008,541 times
I want to take a canoe or raft on the Lackawaxen River from Hawley somewhere down to the Delaware. Hafta do that in the Spring when the river is higher...in the summer the Lackawaxen tends to get a little low.

Old 05-26-2010, 09:48 AM

2,834 posts, read 10,766,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenRice View Post
I want to take a canoe or raft on the Lackawaxen River from Hawley somewhere down to the Delaware. Hafta do that in the Spring when the river is higher...in the summer the Lackawaxen tends to get a little low.
I'd love that but river water is SOOOOOO cold!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania