Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 02:15 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,155,936 times

Advertisements

It took the Irish over 100 years to amount to a few million immigrants to America. We've got 20 million or more Mexicans and OTMs in just the last few years.

Also, the Irish and others made it on their own, not through a huge social net funded by American taxpayers.

Old 06-20-2007, 02:59 PM

2,441 posts, read 7,008,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
It took the Irish over 100 years to amount to a few million immigrants to America. We've got 20 million or more Mexicans and OTMs in just the last few years.

Also, the Irish and others made it on their own, not through a huge social net funded by American taxpayers.
Mexicans have been in this country for longer than any of us have. Illegal immigration did not suddenly start happening around 2002. Remember, a large part of the Southwest used to belong to Mexico, and the land was forcibly taken from underneath them. I will admit that everyone who wants to come into this country should NOT be let in, for obvious reasons. At the same time, I think the hostility toward those who are in the country, legally and illegally, making an honest living, and trying to provide for their families should not be rebuked and treated as though they have murdered a baby.

First of all, there were few, if any, social services available to help immigrants out during the 19th century. If there were, please believe that the immigrants that arrived during that time would have placed a burden on that. Also, the immigrants during the 19th century faced a much harder time at supporting themselves because there was no net to catch them if they fell. Luckily, people do not have to starve to death or be absolutely broke in this country with the social systems we have set up. STILL, illegal immigrants cannot qualify for welfare or many other social programs that you so readily state that they're placing a burden on.

This country is attractive for anyone with a will to work hard and a will for success. You would be a fool to tell me that if you and your family was destitute in Mexico, or any third-world country, that you wouldn't do anything you possibly could to obtain a higher quality of life. It takes years to become a citizen of the United States, and if you and your family are starving, you do not have years to wait for citizenship to lead to a decent paying job.

Old 06-20-2007, 03:54 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,657,832 times
Hey miamiman. If you understood my post I said I'm against all illegals here in this country regardless of race. To say I'm racist is showing your ignorance. It's just that there's more Mexicans here than from any other country. I'm not against anyone from any race coming here if you do it properly. There's people from all different countries waiting to come here legally and I don't think it's fair for someone to sneak across the border and just show up and say I want the American dream. You have to earn it like everyone else. So I have just as much of a problem with someone from Canada or Russia being here illegally as I do with a Mexican. It is not a race issue.

Old 06-20-2007, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
Hey miamiman. If you understood my post I said I'm against all illegals here in this country regardless of race. To say I'm racist is showing your ignorance. It's just that there's more Mexicans here than from any other country. I'm not against anyone from any race coming here if you do it properly. There's people from all different countries waiting to come here legally and I don't think it's fair for someone to sneak across the border and just show up and say I want the American dream. You have to earn it like everyone else. So I have just as much of a problem with someone from Canada or Russia being here illegally as I do with a Mexican. It is not a race issue.
I am sorry, but referring to immigrants as "these Mexicans," and saying we don't need anymore diversity is a sign of racism. That sounds something like a member of the KKK would say. This country is going to get more diverse, whether you like it or not. The day when there will be more "minorities" in this country than whites will definitely be a turning point on how this country is run. Regardless of what you say, people who are starving and living in destitution are going to try to better their circumstances, and will continue to come into this country. You might not think that it's fair for people to sneak across the border, but that's just showing your position as an American who leads a comfortable lifestyle. I bet if you were destitute, your idea of what is "fair" would change drastically. This is a dog-eat-dog world, and I am sure immigrants know that better than anyone. That said, arbitrary laws limiting access into this country will continue to be ignored. They are looking out for their family, not thinking about families that are "waiting patiently" to come over. It might not be "fair" to skip in line, but it's also not "fair" to starve to death or deny your kids educational opportunities.

This is a very complex issue, and simplifying it by saying that potential immigrants should just sit at home and wait like "everybody" else is irrational. Everybody else doesn't wait in line, either. There are many people who skip the process, certain countries that are favored in granting residents citizenship. It's not a "fair" system. It's like being on a sinking boat with your family and standing in line to wait for a life raft. It's not going be orderly. Humans aren't stupid.

Old 06-20-2007, 04:25 PM

What I meant to say was I didn't want diversity shoved down my throat. I don't mind it. So if it came across racist, than Iam sorry. That is not the issue here. You're right. This is a complex issue with no real answers. Iam not a hate monger or into violence. We're just having a discussion here and people will have different opinions. Iam not saying I'm right or you're wrong, but this is just how I feel. And I do not endorse anything said or ever said by the KKK. That's just a redneck hate orginaztion. Thanks, ED. I also just read on the Scranton Times online, that 81 illegal immigrants were arrested at a plant in the Poconos. They were from Mexico, Equador, Malaysia and Indonesia. They are being held and awaiting deportation. In my opinion this must be done. This employer should be fined also. There are probably American families in the Poconos who could of used these jobs to feed their families. Just my opinion though.

Last edited by NYRangers 2008; 06-20-2007 at 04:58 PM..

Old 06-21-2007, 04:55 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,155,936 times
If someone is a citizen of Mexico, then he/she is rightly described as "Mexican".

Old 06-22-2007, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
If someone is a citizen of Mexico, then he/she is rightly described as "Mexican".
Exactly. However, describing illegal immigrants as "these Mexicans" is generalizing, looking past the millions of illegal immigrants in the country from place other than Mexico.

Old 06-22-2007, 08:32 AM

1,001 posts, read 1,989,546 times
I am from Nepa but I live in South Fla now. People down here are much more racist againts hispanics than in NEpa. Believe it or not. I have some cuban family but they are as americanized as you can possibly ever be. People down here hate the fact that certain areas are complety inhabited by Mestizo latin americans. there are areas here that there is not one store with english written on the sign. If you can not see why that pisses off a white or black american born person than you are being nieve.

This country is great because it is a melting pot that believes in life liberty and the persuit of happiness. Ther eis not a lot asked of its citizens but much is provided. Remember Kennedy's; "ask not" yadda yadda. Well a lot of people feel the illegals don't do jack except work remedial jobs for little pay and reap the benifits of free healthcare are a massive tax burden.

Talk to someone who works in the neonatal dept of a hospital in south fla, They are usually the biggest haters of illegals ever. An american citizen pays 5 to 12 thousand dollars to give birth at a hospital. an illegal pays zero. and then thei kid is a US citizen. thats why they have 10 kids they can't afford.

Crime is another bg thing. MS 13 is huge.

Miamiman. You have a right to defend the latin people because they are being targeted by everyone these days. But they are also defending illegal ailens in many cases. You defend illegals and you loose a lot of credibility. no one likes the new guy, especially if he comes here and gets special treatment and is causeing more harm than good.

Old 06-22-2007, 11:13 AM

Nice post, to570717

Old 06-22-2007, 10:26 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,247,966 times
Aren't there gangs and shootings in Hazelton now due to illegals? If the amount of illegals there came to Scranton the crime rate would most likely go up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania