Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 05:30 AM

1,339 posts, read 3,470,839 times

Advertisements

We have so many posters on this forum offering advice, wisdom, rants, insults, etc. that I would like to start this fun thread where everyone can truthfully proclaim the skills/specialities they bring to this forum.

Care to play along?

Thanks,
K
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 06:07 AM

2,517 posts, read 3,419,281 times
A few posters on here consistently provide helpful information to different areas: Margery, Claremarie, JEB77, and ChristineVA are ones that immediately come to mind.

I've lived here in Fairfax County for over 5 years, and this area remains as baffling and foreign to me as it did when we first arrived. The unkind, bully-ish manner in which some people behave here is unattractive to me, but very popular with certain groups. No other part of the country has ever embraced rudeness as a sign of strength the way DC/noVA does.

Old 07-08-2010, 06:23 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,291,520 times
Lived in Mount Vernon 20 years. I don't think most folks on this forum or in NoVA in general are rude or bully-ish. They're usually just smart, educated, confident, and assertive people with strong opinions. A little rough and tumble makes it more interesting.

Old 07-08-2010, 06:45 AM

855 posts, read 1,174,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern435 View Post
A few posters on here consistently provide helpful information to different areas: Margery, Claremarie, JEB77, and ChristineVA are ones that immediately come to mind.

I've lived here in Fairfax County for over 5 years, and this area remains as baffling and foreign to me as it did when we first arrived. The unkind, bully-ish manner in which some people behave here is unattractive to me, but very popular with certain groups. No other part of the country has ever embraced rudeness as a sign of strength the way DC/noVA does.

I am totally with you on the rudeness as a sign of strength point. Having lived in New York, I can say the attitude isn't one of simply personality, it's not even charming here. It's just plain rude and snide derived from self-importance. Also a lot of one-upping which is totally unattractive.

I will say that I am nowhere near an expert on this area, I have just lived here for 8 years before living all over the world. Like anyone else, my opinions about NoVA, are just that, opinions, aside from actual information that I have gotten first hand through trial and error. lol

Old 07-08-2010, 06:54 AM

4,709 posts, read 12,688,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern435 View Post
....No other part of the country has ever embraced rudeness as a sign of strength the way DC/noVA does.

Apparently you've never been to Nuh Yawk...LOL

As for me, I was born at the old (Duke & Washington Sts) Alexandria Hospital 59 years ago....and been here ever since, except for college in CT and several temp postings abroad for Uncle Sam. But I am in no way an "expert" on NOVA....what does that mean anyway?

About the only things I would consider myself expert in are, a) pickin' the 5-string banjo (Scruggs style), and b) boat handling....I can turn a 57' boat around in her own length with a 20 knot wind a'blowin'. LOL

Old 07-08-2010, 07:29 AM

4,264 posts, read 9,289,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chariega View Post
I am totally with you on the rudeness as a sign of strength point. Having lived in New York, I can say the attitude isn't one of simply personality, it's not even charming here. It's just plain rude and snide derived from self-importance. Also a lot of one-upping which is totally unattractive.

I will say that I am nowhere near an expert on this area, I have just lived here for 8 years before living all over the world. Like anyone else, my opinions about NoVA, are just that, opinions, aside from actual information that I have gotten first hand through trial and error. lol
This is the main reason we opted to live in Stafford with my husband doing the commute for the 2 yrs we will be here. I know alot in NOVA consider Stafford to be full of rednecks but I will take rednecks over know-it-alls anyday. At least out there noone gives a care where we work or how much we are worth. The first question out of ones mouth isn't "where do you work" it is "where are you from or are you military" these are just my observations and are subject to human error.

I do have to add, after having lived in Arlington for 6 months and now staying in corporate housing in Falls Church, that people tend to be more friendly in this apt complex.

Old 07-08-2010, 07:36 AM

26,701 posts, read 41,801,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kutra11 View Post
We have so many posters on this forum offering advice, wisdom, rants, insults, etc. that I would like to start this fun thread where everyone can truthfully proclaim the skills/specialities they bring to this forum.

Care to play along?

Thanks,
K
- I served a six year sentence on the West Side of Alexandria.
- My mother is a federal employee and I worked a few months with federal employee.
- I lived in Virginia 19 of my 22 years of my life (13-14 in Hampton Roads) but still good on all things Virginia.
- Went to T.C. Williams HS and NoVA community college.

Old 07-08-2010, 07:48 AM

2,136 posts, read 5,317,190 times
First, I've lived in a lot of different places so I can provide a range of comparisons. I spent part of my childhood in urban and suburban Atlanta; the rest of it in urban and suburban Kansas City. I completed secondary school in rural northeastern New Mexico, then came to DC for college, spending summers in rural Georgia. Lived four years in DC (minus a semester in Cameroon), then two years of grad school in Austin, then moved to Northern Virginia. Lived in Rosslyn for a while, then Bailey's Crossroads, then four years in Falls Church 22043, then home sweet Brambleton (seven years this October).

I went through all these moves during major life phases - I've been the poor student in Georgetown; the really poor newly-minted grad student sleeping on someone's couch for months trying to save up a deposit for a dumpy apartment off Columbia Pike; the techie during the dotcom boom (and bust), figuring out the best way to reverse commute from south Arlington to Reston (and later Ashburn); the newly engaged (and later, newlywed) renting a house in Falls Church for four years; buyer of new construction (having accepted the inevitability of living outside the Beltway); federal government commuter schlepping from Loudoun to L'Enfant Plaza; adoptive mom of twins trying to navigate the bizarro world of NoVA parenting. And all along the way, I've collected and absorbed stories from friends, family, coworkers, and neighbors about their experiences here. My interest in my surroundings was strong enough for a local newspaper (rest its soul) to hire me as a community columnist, and I guest blogged a couple of times for the Washington Post's Loudoun Extra.

I have a Bachelor's in International Affairs (African Studies), a Master's in Library Science, I'm a "Jeopardy!" champion, and I have sixteen years of varied experience living in DC/NoVA. I may not be an "expert" on NoVA, but if I don't know the answer, I can try to find it. When answering questions here, I try not to speculate, but instead give factual, evidence-based answers (unless, of course, it's just a for-fun topic). I accept the fact that different people want different things from life, and so I keep my strongest opinions about some NoVA topics to myself, especially when considering whether to respond to a newcomer seeking honest, direct information. (For example, I just do NOT get the love for Vienna - but every time someone recommends Vienna, I don't feel like I have to jump in and trash it - I just don't post. Amazing, I know. ) I accept the fact that different people have different needs and NoVA has enough variety throughout that most people can probably find what they're looking for here, and if they don't, they don't.

Old 07-08-2010, 08:07 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,956,467 times
I'm an expert on all things dog related in NoVA Looking for a good rescue or shelter to find a new friend? I can help. Training classes? I know where to go for obedience, agility, rally-o, and more. Best day cares, dog parks, or feed stores? I have recommendations!

I know small parts of NoVA very well thanks to living/working there (Crystal City, Alexandria City, Kingstowne), but I'm by no means an expert.

Old 07-08-2010, 09:11 AM

8,984 posts, read 21,194,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmurphy View Post
I'm a "Jeopardy!" champion.
Wow, belated congratulations! We're in the presence of greatness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: