U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 10:06 PM

487 posts, read 1,294,791 times

Advertisements

Whats a super nice area to live in Virginia inside the beltway, or beltway adjacent?
Looking for a small plain 2 to 3 bedroom house. On a nice lot in a great neighborhood. Can pay up to $700,000. This will be a modest home to live in, and an investment.
Any recommendations?

Last edited by tigger37708; 06-19-2010 at 10:18 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2010, 02:55 AM

1,294 posts, read 2,335,027 times
Check out Arlington north of I-66. Great area. Lots of modest homes in your price range.

Old 06-20-2010, 06:16 AM

1,576 posts, read 6,000,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithy77 View Post
Check out Arlington north of I-66. Great area. Lots of modest homes in your price range.
Still kills me that $700k only buys a "modest" home in the desirable inner suburbs of DC. Heck, in prime north arlington and old town alexandria, $700k pretty much only gets you "dumpy".

Old 06-20-2010, 07:22 AM

2,346 posts, read 3,053,136 times
Lake Barcroft is a nice neighborhood inside the Beltway. It's off Columbia Pike. You might be able to find a home there for $700,000.

Old 06-20-2010, 08:14 AM

216 posts, read 597,329 times
Definitely McLean.

Old 06-20-2010, 08:35 AM

31,660 posts, read 72,171,543 times
I would recommend the City of Falls Church. Considering most of NoVA is one giant sprawling suburb I've always loved visiting Falls Church and walking around its downtown area, which, while not perfect (lots of strip malls and parking lots) has a plethora of shops and restaurants to enjoy, along with the State Theater.

The surrounding residential neighborhoods in this community offer plenty of cute Cape Cod-styled homes, ranches, bungalows, Craftsmans, etc., many built in the 1950s-1970s, on small yet tidy lots along tree-lined quiet side streets for the $500,000-$700,000 range. The town has a very strong public school system, is within walking distance to two Metrorail stations (from the northern half of the town at least), and sits very near to the Beltway, I-66, Tysons Corner, and Arlington.

Drawbacks? Route 7 (Broad Street) through town is horribly congested many times of the day, and it can be nearly impossible to turn left from this street into or out of business parking lots or driveways. The town's police are bored, so they hang out everywhere and aggressively enforce the 25 mile-per-hour speed limit (which helps to further congest traffic as you near the Seven Corners end of Falls Church). I also often see groups of day laborers roaming the streets and sidewalks when I come through at certain times, but they appear to be harmless.

If I could afford the very hefty price tag and wanted to stay in the NoVA 'burbs, Falls Church would be my choice.

Old 06-20-2010, 09:53 AM

5,117 posts, read 9,374,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RestonRunner86 View Post
I also often see groups of day laborers roaming the streets and sidewalks when I come through at certain times, but they appear to be harmless.
Sounds like the National Park Service describing grizzly bears ...."just don't leave your trash in the open, or they might try to come into your tent and steal your food"...

Old 06-20-2010, 10:31 AM

10,918 posts, read 28,935,197 times
If you're looking for houses in the $1-1.5 range, you should be able to find a smaller neighboribg home. For a multimillion neighborhood, the price range quoted would likely get a building lot with no house. Many of the smaller homes that met the criteria in Langley are either gone, or renovated. And, you could easily be over $1m in land cost/value on a lot or tear-down between the Beltway and 123.

North Arlington, Falls Church, and parts of McLean would be considerations, but I would not be looking for a $675k house next to one that's $4m.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 06-20-2010, 11:09 AM

2,727 posts, read 5,032,577 times
You may want to specify whether top public schools and metro within a half mile are top priorities for you. Both of these increase the costs of houses quite a bit. If you don't need either, you can get a much nicer house and yard for your $700K.

Old 06-20-2010, 11:35 AM

5,117 posts, read 9,374,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
If you're looking for houses in the $1-1.5 range, you should be able to find a smaller neighboribg home. For a multimillion neighborhood, the price range quoted would likely get a building lot with no house. Many of the smaller homes that met the criteria in Langley are either gone, or renovated. And, you could easily be over $1m in land cost/value on a lot or tear-down between the Beltway and 123.

North Arlington, Falls Church, and parts of McLean would be considerations, but I would not be looking for a $675k house next to one that's $4m.
It's not quite that stark. One can still find decent houses in inside-the-Betlway McLean neighborhoods like Hansborough (Langley HS district) and Salona Village (McLean HS district) occasionally for around $700-750K. Some buy them for the location and schools; others buy them and either renovate them or tear them down and build new homes. The new homes often are $1.5-2.5 million, not $4 million.

I'm reluctant to give advice on where to invest in real estate, since there's so much uncertainty as to where the market generally is headed. But, for someone who wants to invest, it seems to me buying a less expensive home in an expensive neighborhood is a better proposition than buying an expensive property in a less expensive neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia