Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2010, 08:22 PM

2 posts, read 6,169 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm a 25 year old female who is looking to move into the DC Metro Area. Ideally I would be working near McLean, VA. I want to live in VA but have easy access to DC. I'm looking for someplace young and fun but still safe. I have a budget of 1250-1400 and ideally I would like a one bedroom. I've researched the Tyson's Corner, Ballston and Clarendon area but Ballston seems too expensive for what I want and Tyson's Corners seem more family oriented. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2010, 08:07 AM

303 posts, read 592,152 times
Years ago when I was renting I lived for two years here. I enjoyed it. It was close to Tysons/McLean, easy access to get to Arlington & DC. The entire building (highrise) was all young professionals. At the time, there was a small grocery store in the building but I don't know if there is anymore.

Per the pictures on their website they have really updated the apts. and look nice. There is a very nice Whole Foods right across the street and Trader Joe's that is a short distance up the road in a shopping center - you could walk there.

Capital Properties | Fairfax Towers at Tyson's Corner (http://www.fairfaxtowers.com/home.html - broken link)

Old 06-24-2010, 08:13 AM

303 posts, read 592,152 times
Well I just checked another site and I see their rent will be more then the budget that you have set. Sorry.

Old 06-24-2010, 08:32 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,943,013 times
Most young professionals who choose to live in Arlington (Ballston/Clarendon/etc) end up with a roommate, because the rents are so high. If you look at most of the buildings, the 2 bedrooms are set up "roommate style" (where each bedroom has its own bathroom) to accommodate this type of living situation.

If you're anti-roommate, you might try finding a basement apartment in someone's home. Otherwise, you're going to have to either increase your commute a little, or live in a less popular place. Check out Crystal City (easy commute out 66 to McLean), Falls Church (quick commute, a good compromise between the trendiness of Ballston and the family-ness of McLean), or Alexandria (longer commute, but a really neat area)

Old 06-24-2010, 09:21 AM

855 posts, read 1,172,786 times
if you have a car--the Northern Va world is your oyster--so to speak. I would look in perhaps Falls Church near Tysons. There are quite a few nice high rise condos that may be in your price range and there are tons of people our age that live in the area. Also near Dunn Loring there are several apartments and condos that might work too. Both options are close to the metro for quick access to DC or Arlington. Traffic going west from DC/Arlington in the morning on 66 is no fun though during the week (weekend too for that matter).

Each person is different so you'd have to think about how often you would plan to be out and about during the week as opposed to weekends only. Also you would have to consider if having your own space a little further out works better for you than being in DC or Arlington, since both DC and Arlington require quite a bit more money and would likely require a roommate.

Good Luck with your move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia