Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 08:18 AM

6 posts, read 5,951 times

Advertisements

Hello,
Thinking about relocating to NoVA for a job opportunity (negotiating offer currently). I'm looking for some insight on a couple of things and hoping some Mass transplants are out there who can help but info/advice is welcomed from all.

a)Looking for areas like Cambridge/Watertown/West Newton/Belmont towns similar in Norther Virginia that wouldn't make a commute into Herndon/Dulles Airport area too bad. (I hear a ton of horror stories regarding traffice in NoVA and lack of public transportaion.)

b)With current compensation around 108K (family of four; 2 kids between 6 & 12, stay at home mom) would a 12% salary increase be sufficient bump to live comfortable in the "safer" more popular areas like Oakton or Vienna? Somewhere we could rent a 3br house or apt wouldn't have to pay private schools. I know living "comfortably" is subjective but we aren't a family that buys 62" flatscreens or $600 designer purses or $400 dollar shoes but we are whole foods & trader joes type. And we don't won't to live in area where the only latino or african americans around are nannies, working for landscaper or serving at a restaurant.

c)Are there any Quaker (Friends schools like Sidwell) institutions or similary type education options in the area?

d)Most importantly I need to have satellite or dish serivce where I can see my Boston sports teams throughout the different seasons!!
(Are you guys Raven's or Skin's fan mostly in the area?

Apologies in advance if I haven't provided enough detail in this initial post but I will be back to add or clear up any confusion.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 09:03 AM

1,534 posts, read 3,725,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEpats_fan View Post
Hello,
a)Looking for areas like Cambridge/Watertown/West Newton/Belmont towns similar in Norther Virginia that wouldn't make a commute into Herndon/Dulles Airport area too bad.
  • Cambridge = Takoma Park, MD
  • Watertown = portions of Falls Church (Fairfax County, not City of Falls Church)
  • West Newton = Bethesda, MD
  • Belmont = portions of Oakton
As for commutes into Herndon/Dulles Airport -- obviously the MD locales are out. Oakton is certainly possible as would be some portions of Falls Church (within Fairfax County).

Quote:
b)With current compensation around 108K (family of four; 2 kids between 6 & 12, stay at home mom) would a 12% salary increase be sufficient bump to live comfortable in the "safer" more popular areas like Oakton or Vienna?
I would use a cost of living calculator to run the numbers. Personally I think kids get more expensive as they get older (soccer, lacrosse, baseball, music lessons, etc.) and I would aim to get the % increase as high as you can -- perhaps as high as 20-25%.

Quote:
d)Most importantly I need to have satellite or dish serivce where I can see my Boston sports teams throughout the different seasons!!
We have Verizon FIOS so we get Red Sox/Pats/Bruins/Celtics. Plus we have XM Radio.

Old 06-23-2010, 10:16 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,083,378 times
Quote:

a)Looking for areas like Cambridge/Watertown/West Newton/Belmont towns similar in Norther Virginia that wouldn't make a commute into Herndon/Dulles Airport area too bad. (I hear a ton of horror stories regarding traffice in NoVA and lack of public transportaion.)
Hi! Welcome to Nova. I don't know MA towns so I'm not sure what the towns you mentioned are like. In general, though, Nova does not have a New England sort of a vibe. There is a historic section of Herndon that is sort of "New England-y" but it's small. Falls Church might also be interesting to you.

Quote:
Somewhere we could rent a 3br house or apt wouldn't have to pay private schools. I know living "comfortably" is subjective but we aren't a family that buys 62" flatscreens or $600 designer purses or $400 dollar shoes but we are whole foods & trader joes type.
LOL, not to worry. Despite the jokes, lots of people around here aren't into materialism. They may have a McMansion but they shop at Target, have one purse they bought at Kohl's, and drive a 10-year old Mustang.

As far as crime goes, all of the neighborhoods are relatively safe. There are a few neighborhoods where I might hesitate to take a long walk after dark, but other than that the "dicey" areas aren't that bad. Some of the more working class neighborhoods like Sterling Park have some petty crime, but compared to other cities it's not bad at all.

The public schools are actually pretty good here. Schools are a hot topic on this forum, so if you want specifics comparing the schools you will find at least a dozen threads to answer your questions. There's no need for private schools unless that's something you want.

Quote:
And we don't won't to live in area where the only latino or african americans around are nannies, working for landscaper or serving at a restaurant.
When it comes to race and religion, Nova is probably one of the most diverse areas in the country. Your neighbors will not only represent every race, many of them will be from other countries (particularly European countries, India, and Asian countries).

Although we have a lot of racial diversity, we don't have a lot of diversity when it comes to education and economic status. There are some working class people here but the majority are middle class to wealthy. (We don't have factories here, our "local industry" is research and government).

There are some people with high school educations, but the majority have a degree (and often several degrees). It's not a big deal if you don't have a degree as long as you are well spoken. However, if you use ghetto-talk or your grammar is really atrocious you may encounter some snobbery.

Quote:

c)Are there any Quaker (Friends schools like Sidwell) institutions or similary type education options in the area?
I believe there are a few, but I'm not sure where. I went to the meetinghouse in Herndon once and it was a very nice group of people. I would not be at all surprised if Herndon had a school. The historic section of Herndon strikes me as a neighborhood you might like. the houses look like this:

Here's a thread with some photos of Herndon. You'd probably like the second neighborhood (the historic section):
2 Neighborhoods in Herndon

Quote:

(Are you guys Raven's or Skin's fan mostly in the area?
You'll have no problem getting satellite service here. Also, you will not have any problem hooking up with Boston fans. Most people have moved here from other cities and continue to root for their home teams as well as for the Nats, Caps, and 'Skins.

Last edited by Caladium; 06-23-2010 at 10:26 AM..

Old 06-23-2010, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeFish View Post
  • Cambridge = Takoma Park, MD
  • Watertown = portions of Falls Church (Fairfax County, not City of Falls Church)
  • West Newton = Bethesda, MD
  • Belmont = portions of Oakton
As for commutes into Herndon/Dulles Airport -- obviously the MD locales are out. Oakton is certainly possible as would be some portions of Falls Church (within Fairfax County).
How does Vienna fit into the picture?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeFish View Post

I would use a cost of living calculator to run the numbers. Personally I think kids get more expensive as they get older (soccer, lacrosse, baseball, music lessons, etc.) and I would aim to get the % increase as high as you can -- perhaps as high as 20-25%.

We have Verizon FIOS so we get Red Sox/Pats/Bruins/Celtics. Plus we have XM Radio.
Sweet on the sports front!!

Old 06-23-2010, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Hi! Welcome to Nova. I don't know MA towns so I'm not sure what the towns you mentioned are like. In general, though, Nova does not have a New England sort of a vibe. There is a historic section of Herndon that is sort of "New England-y" but it's small. Falls Church might also be interesting to you.

LOL, not to worry. Despite the jokes, lots of people around here aren't into materialism. They may have a McMansion but they shop at Target, have one purse they bought at Kohl's, and drive a 10-year old Mustang.

As far as crime goes, all of the neighborhoods are relatively safe. There are a few neighborhoods where I might hesitate to take a long walk after dark, but other than that the "dicey" areas aren't that bad. Some of the more working class neighborhoods like Sterling Park have some petty crime, but compared to other cities it's not bad at all.
So Sterling is an option? And what if the wife wants to take a quick trip to DC (after rush hour and before kids get out of school) is that doable from Sterling area?

Quote:

The public schools are actually pretty good here. Schools are a hot topic on this forum, so if you want specifics comparing the schools you will find at least a dozen threads to answer your questions. There's no need for private schools unless that's something you want.
Nope, I would be more than happy to stop the private school nonsense! However the values and sense of responsiblity to the bigger picture rather than the individual instill by Quaker schools is a plus.
My only concern with public schools is whether the teacher to student ratio isn't something like 30 students to 1 teacher in a class. I think that's ok in college and maybe some classes at the HS level.
I reviewed quite a few of those threads but they quickly become 1 on 1 or 2 on 1 debates losing focus. I don't really believe in teaching to pass some sort of school committee rating which makes the district eligible for funds.
Quote:

When it comes to race and religion, Nova is probably one of the most diverse areas in the country. Your neighbors will not only represent every race, many of them will be from other countries (particularly European countries, India, and Asian countries).

Although we have a lot of racial diversity, we don't have a lot of diversity when it comes to education and economic status. There are some working class people here but the majority are middle class to wealthy. (We don't have factories here, our "local industry" is research and government).
Define middle class these days.

Quote:
There are some people with high school educations, but the majority have a degree (and often several degrees). It's not a big deal if you don't have a degree as long as you are well spoken. However, if you use ghetto-talk or your grammar is really atrocious you may encounter some snobbery.
I believe there are a few, but I'm not sure where. I went to the meetinghouse in Herndon once and it was a very nice group of people. I would not be at all surprised if Herndon had a school. The historic section of Herndon strikes me as a neighborhood you might like. the houses look like this:

Here's a thread with some photos of Herndon. You'd probably like the second neighborhood (the historic section):
2 Neighborhoods in Herndon

This is exactly what I would be looking for, it's perfect!!! I wouldn't really consider buying or living in a house built after 80s! Do you have a rough idea of the cost of a house like this? Are there rentals in that part of town?
Quote:

You'll have no problem getting satellite service here. Also, you will not have any problem hooking up with Boston fans. Most people have moved here from other cities and continue to root for their home teams as well as for the Nats, Caps, and 'Skins.
THanks!!

Old 06-24-2010, 06:34 AM

Quote:
So Sterling is an option? And what if the wife wants to take a quick trip to DC (after rush hour and before kids get out of school) is that doable from Sterling area?
Sterling is a huge area that extends from the Potomac River to Dulles Airport, and from the County line to Rt. 28. Sterling is split into many sub communities, each of which are also quite large. Some people say "sterling" when they mean "Sterling Park." Actually Sterling also includes Cascades, Countryside, Dulles, Sugarland Run, and a few other areas. The communities north of Rt. 7 are the nicest ones, but they may not appeal to you since they were all built in the last two decades. In general I think Sterling is probably too new for you.

The only two parts of Sterling that might fit your age requirement are Richland Acres and Sterling Park. Richland Acres is very nice but it's small and it might be hard to find a house there. Sterling Park is ok, but probably the least desirable area in northern Virginia. It's the one area where you'll find a lot of foreclosures. There's some petty crime there and occasionally some lightweight gang activity. The homes are less expensive than anywhere else, which is a plus if you need afforable housing. But, it also means you'll have a harder time reselling your house. It's not a bad area, but it's not especially appealling either. There's a photo tour in the link below that could give you a good idea of Sterling Park.

Quote:
This is exactly what I would be looking for, it's perfect!!! I wouldn't really consider buying or living in a house built after 80s! Do you have a rough idea of the cost of a house like this? Are there rentals in that part of town?
Oh dear, if you wouldn't consider buying a house built after the 80's you're going to have a challenging time.

Most of the communities that are a close commute to your job were built in the last 20 years. The big exception would be Reston, which was started in the 60s and 70s. There are a few very small older pockets such as the historic section of Herndon--but they're small. I really like the old section of Herndon, but I have no idea how difficult it might be to get a house there, or how much they cost.

Which brings us back to Falls Church and Vienna. Vienna would probably be the better choice, since commuting from Falls Church could be a pain right now (there's a major construction project going on). Falls Church is charming, IMO, but the commute could make it a deal breaker.

Vienna is an older area and a little difficult to describe. It doesn't really have a counterpart in New England that I know of. Many people really love Vienna, although some of the people there strike me as snooty. (That's just the people I've personally met, it doesn't mean everyone's like that.) There's a photo tour in the link below that might give you a better idea:

Photo tours of various areas

Another idea might be to live in Purcellville or Leesburg. Your commute would be longer but not that bad. And you can find some pre-1980s buildings there. Not a lot of them, but some.

Take a look at Reston, you might find it intriguing. It was originally started as an experimental artists colony in the 1960s. It's now grown into a more typical suburb but still has some of the early roots. I really like Reston, but younger people may find it boring. It seems to appeal more to people after about age 25.

Old 06-24-2010, 07:16 AM

9,778 posts, read 15,788,843 times
I am one of the Town of Vienna's cheerleaders. I've lived here for almost 10 years, and we love it here. My husband is originally from the Boston area (lived in Marblehead and then in New Hampshire). Vienna has a lot of older homes but many are 50's ranch style, 60's split level, and 70's colonials - not exactly charming architectural type homes. Having said that, there are a few quaint looking ones mixed in, and if you have deep pockets, there are some new homes built in an old style that are quite nice. Vienna is a great town to live in - very family oriented - made up of mostly single-family homes. If you live close to the "downtown" area, you can walk to many things. If you live on the outskirts, you could get a bigger home but would need to drive most places. I don't find the people to be snooty here. In fact, I find most to be quite down-to-earth and friendly. I lived in Rockville and Bethesda, Maryland before moving here, and one cannot even compare the snootiness factor - it is 10 times worse there. So perhaps, it's all perspective.

Vienna to the Herndon/Dulles area would be a reverse commute - probably 30 minutes going against traffic. Housing is more expensive here than in Herndon as it is a closer-in suburb to DC and has fewer lower-income families. Herndon does have a very nice, walkable downtown, too. We have good friends who live there and love walking places. There is a large Hispanic population there that a few years ago made the news because of problems with day laborers hanging out at certain shopping centers. I think Vienna schools haver a better reputation than Herndon schools and overall prefer it to Herndon. If you decide you want to look into Vienna further, feel free to ask anymore questions or DM me. I have three kids - 3, 5, and 8 and am a SAHM so I am plugged into the mommy scene here.

Old 06-24-2010, 09:11 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,090,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
I am one of the Town of Vienna's cheerleaders. I've lived here for almost 10 years, and we love it here. My husband is originally from the Boston area (lived in Marblehead and then in New Hampshire). Vienna has a lot of older homes but many are 50's ranch style, 60's split level, and 70's colonials - not exactly charming architectural type homes. Having said that, there are a few quaint looking ones mixed in, and if you have deep pockets, there are some new homes built in an old style that are quite nice. Vienna is a great town to live in - very family oriented - made up of mostly single-family homes. If you live close to the "downtown" area, you can walk to many things. If you live on the outskirts, you could get a bigger home but would need to drive most places. I don't find the people to be snooty here. In fact, I find most to be quite down-to-earth and friendly. I lived in Rockville and Bethesda, Maryland before moving here, and one cannot even compare the snootiness factor - it is 10 times worse there. So perhaps, it's all perspective.

Vienna to the Herndon/Dulles area would be a reverse commute - probably 30 minutes going against traffic. Housing is more expensive here than in Herndon as it is a closer-in suburb to DC and has fewer lower-income families. Herndon does have a very nice, walkable downtown, too. We have good friends who live there and love walking places. There is a large Hispanic population there that a few years ago made the news because of problems with day laborers hanging out at certain shopping centers. I think Vienna schools haver a better reputation than Herndon schools and overall prefer it to Herndon. If you decide you want to look into Vienna further, feel free to ask anymore questions or DM me. I have three kids - 3, 5, and 8 and am a SAHM so I am plugged into the mommy scene here.
One of the things I liked about Vienna was that it was centrally located between the high-tech area and DC, so that people tended to work in all types of different jobs. When conversations turn to employment, as some such discussions invariably do, you end up speaking with people who work in entirely different fields, which I found very interesting. If you live further west, you're more likely to be surrounded by high-tech workers and, well, in McLean there is considerably more of an orientation toward DC.

Not to poke too hard, but it may be time for a small-scale intervention if one feels that one can disclaim that Vienna is "snooty" and yet comfortably go on, without reservation, to point out that Vienna schools have a better "reputation" than Herndon (or Reston, or Falls Church, or Annandale, or .....) schools. Many people think this means nothing more, and nothing less, than that the average test scores are higher and there are fewer students who come from less privileged backgrounds. I agree with you that it's probably a matter of perspective, but it's more than theoretically possible that some might consider that just a tad on the "snooty" side, too.

Last edited by JD984; 06-24-2010 at 09:53 AM..

Old 06-24-2010, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
I don't find the people to be snooty here. In fact, I find most to be quite down-to-earth and friendly. I lived in Rockville and Bethesda, Maryland before moving here, and one cannot even compare the snootiness factor - it is 10 times worse there. So perhaps, it's all perspective.
Thanks for saying this. You know, the truth is I only know two families in Vienna. It was wrong of me to let a handful of people color my whole impression of the town. So what if there's one particular guy I know there who's a real pompous ass? What does that mean? I also know a pompous ass who lives in Sterling Park (and nobody would call SP a snooty place).

So it really wasn't fair of me to judge Vienna without knowing more of the people there. Thanks for setting it straight.

Old 06-24-2010, 09:52 AM

9,778 posts, read 15,788,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
Not to poke too hard, but it may be time for a small-scale intervention if one feels that one can disclaim that Vienna is "snooty" and yet comfortably go on, without reservation, to point out that Vienna schools have a better "reputation" than Herndon (or Reston, or Falls Church, or Annandale, or .....) schools. I agree with you that it's probably all a matter of perspective, but it's more than theoretically possible that some might consider that just a tad on the "snooty" side, too.
I don't think there is anything snooty about saying schools have a better reputation. If I said I prefer schools in Vienna because the children who attend shop at better stores; their parents are more prominent; and it is a place to see and be seen, then I would agree. But saying schools have a better reputation? All it means is that the schools have a better reputation - that does not make me snooty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia