Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 12:30 PM

648 posts, read 1,333,829 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm a single woman in my early 30s relocating to NoVa. I will most likely either work in Reston or Chantilly. Where is a good place for someone like me to live (nice, safe and not so "family" oriented)? I want to take into consideration social scenes and commute as well. Also, I love riding bikes and horses. Are there any towns nearby with equestrian facilities without going too far out (say, within 15 miles or so)?
I will rent (most likely a room) for probably the first year; I'll then sell my house in CA and buy out here.

I'm coming from Orange County, CA, which is pretty expensive to begin with, so I have a feeling there won't be that much of a sticker shock.

I have no idea what I'm doing, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2010, 12:52 PM

2,309 posts, read 2,315,094 times
I would think Reston Town Center would be good for you. Good social scene and you can walk to a lot of things. Safe. I don't know about finding a room to rent...You will probably find a condo to rent.

Purcellville has riding facilities but is longer than 15 minutes from Reston. I would say about 45 minutes. But its not a bad drive.

Good luck!

Old 07-07-2010, 02:30 PM

Thanks for your input!

Anyone else have anything? Bueller?

Old 07-07-2010, 02:46 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,091,049 times
Affinity Farm and Misty Brae Farm are horse stables in Aldie, VA about 15-20 miles west of Chantilly. There are more near Leesburg and Middleburg and I believe in the Purcellville/Round Hill/Hamilton area (all west of Chantilly).

If you haven't yet, I'd suggest a trip here to look at these areas. Reston and Chantilly are more of the suburbs; the rural areas will be west and north towards the Potomac. There is a bike path that goes across Reston, Sterling, and parts of NoVA but you might be looking for something more.

You could probably do well renting a room for now. There are plenty of young professionals who either rent rooms on their own or with groups of others. Just visit the premises and see how suitable things are. Good luck!

Old 07-07-2010, 03:36 PM

Thanks so much!

Also, an odd question: are people in NoVa judgemental? I'm well-educated and well-spoken and come from an upper class family, but both of my arms are covered in tattoos (nice ones, not jailhouse). When I go to work, I wear suits and people are none-the-wiser. Living in Socal, it wasn't a big deal, but I realize tattoos may be less common there. Sometimes, when I go to different states where they're not as common, people look at me like I'm the devil. I'm just trying to prepare myself for the dagger eyes.

Any input?

Old 07-07-2010, 03:42 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,946,617 times
Personally, I don't think the tattoos will be a problem. There's quite a wide variety of people living here, you'll just be part of the mix. Reston and Herndon probably have the youngest singles crowd. McLean or Vienna are also possible choices, although that's starting to give you a bit of a commute. Fair Lakes is another possible choice. Of the bunch, I personally think Reston is the most fun.

As far as I know, all the horsey areas are also family oriented. But, it's not to far from Reston to drive to Great Falls, Middleburg, or the horsey parts of Loudoun.

Old 07-07-2010, 03:43 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,091,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katyusha25 View Post
Sometimes, when I go to different states where they're not as common, people look at me like I'm the devil.
Nah, no one around here really cares about tattoos. We have others things that look like the devil. We call them politicians.

Old 07-07-2010, 04:54 PM

Thanks Normie! I don't currently own horses, I just would like to continue my riding instruction. I do have dogs, however. I hope Reston and/or the other places you mentioned are dog friendly; not that I let them wander around with no leash, but you know what I mean.

And lol at Jersey Styx! Good to know

Thanks for your input!

Old 07-07-2010, 05:03 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,946,617 times
Most of Nova is very dog friendly. Here are photos of Reston Town Center that can give you an idea of the area. The Reston Town Center is your best bet for young singles, but be aware that (as Styx pointed out) it is still definitely a suburban area.

Reston-Town Center and Lake Anne

Old 07-07-2010, 05:07 PM

Those pictures are great, thanks! And if that's a Sephora that I saw in one of the photos, I will be in heaven. Looks like a great city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia