Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 07:08 PM

246 posts, read 1,354,888 times

Advertisements

Anyone have any idea of what or ethnic restaurants are by the George Mason area.....any cool Chinese, Japaense, Korean, or Vietnamese restaurants by that area. Also, is it just me, or is main street Fairfax pretty "small"?? What about sports bars? What is the Goege Mason area like when classes are in session. Anyone attend sporting or art events at GM?

Also, where are all the "strip mall" shopping areas in Fairfax City...is it all on Main street. I am talking about Best buy, staples, bed bath and beyond....thanks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2010, 07:13 PM

9,777 posts, read 15,783,646 times
If you go down Main Street Eastbound, there is a shopping center with Bed, Bath, and Beyond and Best Buy as well as a Marshall's and AC Moore (like Michael's). It's on the corner of Main Street and Pickett. If you drive farther north on Picket there is a Staples.

Old 07-24-2010, 11:44 PM

50 posts, read 202,619 times
By car or CUE bus w transfer to the Fairfax Connector you have access to Fair Lakes/Fairfax Town Center/Fair Oaks Mall & Fairfax Corner which also have all the stores you are looking for. Fairfax and east have lots of Pho restaraunts (try yelp for reviews). Hard Times, Brions Grille, and Buffalo Wing University are some sports bars to try in the immediate vicinity of GMU, there is a Chammps at Fair Oaks mall as well and a newer sports bar in the development where Burlington Coat Factory/Pier One is in FFX.

Old 07-25-2010, 09:24 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,941,346 times
Alicia's one person who knows all the best places in that part of town. You could try doing a search for her posts and see what comes up.

Old 07-25-2010, 02:33 PM

246 posts, read 1,354,888 times
Alicia who?

Old 07-25-2010, 05:54 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,879,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zotmeister View Post
Alicia who?
Alicia me. I'm new to Fairfax City, myself, but I'm trying to learn all I can quickly - especially when it comes to shopping and dining. I actually wish we had *more* shops and stuff in the downtown area and fewer strip malls, but hey.. I'm glad at least one of us is happy!

What sort of shopping are you looking for (besides the ones people have already addressed), specifically?

Old 07-25-2010, 07:26 PM

361 posts, read 737,279 times
There is a very nice takeout rotisserie chicken place at Kamp Washington. You would not know it's there, because it's in the back -- not visible from the street. Same strip mall as Weber's Pet Supermarket but go around the back, and it's right there. Awesome Peruvian chicken. My son eats out a lot -- I'll ask him if he has any more recommendations.

Old 07-25-2010, 07:55 PM

660 posts, read 1,705,047 times
For Japanese in Fairfax, I'd recommend Blue Ocean, which is at the intersection of Pickett and 236. It's actually owned and operated by Japanese people, and I've been told that the food is more authentic than most Japanese restaurants in the States.

For Korean...Fairfax is kind of a dead zone between Fairfax County's two "Koreatowns": Annandale and Centreville. Shilla Bakery has Korean baked goods and bing soo (kind of like a Korean ice cream sundae), and Super H Mart is a giant Korean grocery store with some prepared foods that you might like.

Same for Vietnamese - you're better off going east to the Eden Center or west to Chantilly/Centreville.

Fairfax does have some good Indian restaurants, though! Minerva on Route 50, Saravana Palace west of the City of Fairfax on 29, Bollywood Bistro in Old Town Fairfax (can't vouch for it personally), etc.

Old 07-26-2010, 05:41 AM

50 posts, read 202,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryLou View Post
There is a very nice takeout rotisserie chicken place at Kamp Washington. You would not know it's there, because it's in the back -- not visible from the street. Same strip mall as Weber's Pet Supermarket but go around the back, and it's right there. Awesome Peruvian chicken. My son eats out a lot -- I'll ask him if he has any more recommendations.
That place is the TRUTH!

Old 07-26-2010, 07:24 AM

631 posts, read 1,290,370 times
there's several restaurants right across the street from GMU, at University Mall, including a vietnamese restaurant, japanese, and american
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia