Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 04:22 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,128,777 times

Advertisements

Holy cow! I just saw the storm damage on the news. The mayor i saying it's worse than when Isabel hit. Worse than Snowmageddon! Where on earth did this storm come from, anyway? I hope you guys out in Alexandria and Arlington are ok, it looks like a real mess out there, especially in Del Rey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 04:29 PM

3,550 posts, read 6,499,511 times
Man it's like a monsoon out there!

Old 08-05-2010, 04:34 PM

696 posts, read 1,696,964 times
It was a crazy storm. My dogs gave me fair warning with their weird pacing. I took them outside just before it hit and saw how dark the sky was.

I too hope that Alexandria/Arlington peeps are okay. My friends and I were supposed to go to Old Town tonight but bagged that idea.

Old 08-05-2010, 05:09 PM

404 posts, read 1,096,315 times
A flying board hit my car driving home from work. I felt like I was in a scene from twister!

Old 08-05-2010, 05:20 PM

564 posts, read 1,496,091 times
Watched it come in. My office window faces due west with a perfect view of the masonic temple. It looked really intense, and it was. Watched tons of tree limbs breaking from above, and saw some extremely close lightning strikes. Driving home was fun too. Then upon arriving home discovered some huge branches in my lawn one of which smashed a section of split rail fence. Yipee!

Old 08-05-2010, 06:00 PM

26,701 posts, read 41,816,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Holy cow! I just saw the storm damage on the news. The mayor i saying it's worse than when Isabel hit. Worse than Snowmageddon! Where on earth did this storm come from, anyway? I hope you guys out in Alexandria and Arlington are ok, it looks like a real mess out there, especially in Del Rey.
I lived through the damage of Isabel in Southeast Virginia where it was much worse than in Northern VA. I don't agree with Mayor Euielle much but seeing the NBC4 gallery of the storm I could agree with him that it was more messy looking than what Alexandria experienced during Isabel. I hope all my friends back in Alexandria are alright.

Old 08-05-2010, 06:48 PM

32,623 posts, read 77,729,253 times
I was driving through this storm along Reston Parkway in South Reston and could barely see an inch in front of my face. We ended up with nearly two inches of rain today in such a brief period of time, and the wind was really amazing! I actually had fun, though, aiming my Mazda straight for huge puddles on the road and making a HUGE splash! ZOOM, ZOOM! What is it with NoVA's crazy weather since I moved here?

-Awakened by an earthquake.
-Endured 75-mile-per-hour winds.
-Three-inch-per-hour rainfall rates.
-More snow in one week than my mountainous hometown averaged in a season.

Actually, this was all within just the past six months! What's next? A hurricane? So much fun!

Old 08-05-2010, 06:51 PM

8,827 posts, read 15,345,542 times
I was surprised at how much damage was done to the north of us. I'm in West Springfield and we seem to be thankfully missing the brunt of recent storms.

Old 08-05-2010, 06:52 PM

9,781 posts, read 15,820,242 times
I was out in Sterling today and it wasn't too bad. When we came home to Vienna I saw three whole trees down on Ware Street. It was crazy. They had Marshall Road blocked off because a tree fell across the street. It was like a different storm than the one I was in, which was really no big deal.

Old 08-05-2010, 07:10 PM

26,701 posts, read 41,816,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RestonRunner86 View Post
I was driving through this storm along Reston Parkway in South Reston and could barely see an inch in front of my face. We ended up with nearly two inches of rain today in such a brief period of time, and the wind was really amazing! I actually had fun, though, aiming my Mazda straight for huge puddles on the road and making a HUGE splash! ZOOM, ZOOM! What is it with NoVA's crazy weather since I moved here?

-Awakened by an earthquake.
-Endured 75-mile-per-hour winds.
-Three-inch-per-hour rainfall rates.
-More snow in one week than my mountainous hometown averaged in a season.

Actually, this was all within just the past six months! What's next? A hurricane? So much fun!
Congrats you've experienced all of Virginia's types of wild weather in 15 months. Took me 19 years to do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia