Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2010, 07:58 PM

10 posts, read 47,242 times

Advertisements

How much will this suck?
Ok... so I have a temporary job right now near Virginia Hospital. My 6 month old son's daycare is 2 blocks away. I will be taking the bus a hop skip and a jump to Ballston Metro station, from there we will be heading all the way down the line to Cheverly MD. Generally I've always had good luck with getting a seat... i.e. "lady has a baby and looks like she's going to pull her hair out".

I hear the orange line is packed... I will only be doing this a month to a month and a half. Is this doable? It's either that or sit in traffic for who knows how long. Any suggestions? Am I better off driving? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2010, 09:32 PM

100 posts, read 218,974 times
definitely drive - leave early and the baby can nap in the car seat.

Old 08-12-2010, 06:08 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,799,414 times
You misspelled your thread title. Add a "b" to each of the last 3 words. Just kidding but with a baby you need to drive during those hours. If timing was off peak then it would be fine.

Old 08-12-2010, 06:56 AM

2,462 posts, read 8,920,232 times
Getting a seat is not the only issue. After your child has spent all day in daycare, how long do you suppose you keep him happy while you wait for the bus, get on and off, wait for the train, get on, and then ride all the way out to other end of the line? Remember, no food on the Metro, so that pacifying option is out.
It may be worth a try, but I'd be prepared to drive if necessary.

Old 08-12-2010, 05:54 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,586,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roni175 View Post
I hear the orange line is packed...!
It is indeed very congested. The Silver Line is long overdue, although I think it will just eventually make the Orange Line even more crowded.

Old 08-13-2010, 02:06 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,388,802 times
I would be inclined to deal with driving, myself, in your situation. In the morning, the worst of the traffic will be in the morning from Cheverly to 395, but once past Capitol Hill, it's a reverse commute, and should not be too bad to Arlington, at all. In the afternoon, 395 can be a pain, but if you cross the 14th Street Bridge in the HOV lanes (open to all traffic in the afternoon, left exit by the Pentagon), you can avoid getting stuck on the main lanes of the bridge. Then, you could go through town, or merge onto the Freeway to get to the tunnel and Route 50.

You would likely have a couple of weeks of a lighter rush hour, until schools are back in session, so you could find a good route, but driving would be my thought. If you were literally on top of a Metro at both ends, and did not need to wait for the bus, I'd say Metro, but not using the bus, too, since if it's hot or rainy, it would be miserable to have to wait.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 08-13-2010, 03:51 PM

577 posts, read 2,060,118 times
What times of day will you be on the train? For the ride home, getting on at Cheverly should allow you to get a seat - I'm guessing it won't be crowded until you get closer in to DC. Since you're not changing trains, once you're on and seated you should be fine. For the ride in, getting on at Ballston might be a bit busy. If it helps you could take the train the other way and go to the East Falls Church station and then get off and get back on going the other way. It may sound silly but it will cut down on the competition for seats. Takes longer, though.

As someone else pointed out, the mood and behavior of your baby will be the deciding factor. I suppose you could try it and see how it goes. If it's too difficult or annoying you can drive.

If you end up driving and HOV lanes are an option, a baby DOES count as a second passenger.

Last edited by Ashburnite; 08-13-2010 at 03:59 PM..

Old 08-14-2010, 02:47 AM

247 posts, read 1,141,056 times
Do you baby wear? When my DS was about 4 months we had to exacuate due to hurricane Gustav, and I was stuck for hours on end in an extremely crowded airport with hundreds (probaby thousands) of other people. No seats anywhere. I had a baby bjorn and peanut shell sling with me, and they were life savers. With him attached to me, it was pretty easy to navigate even really tight crowds. Just a thought.

Old 08-15-2010, 07:16 AM

389 posts, read 1,229,605 times
i'd say it depends on the temperament of your baby. i have 3 kids. the first baby would have been better off on the metro, because he screamed in the car but was happy in the sling. he would sleep in the sling anywhere and i nursed him in it, so the metro would be great. the next baby i would have chosen the car, because he loved to sleep in his car seat. the third baby would have been a toss up, because she was super easy in any situation and in that case i'd have chosen metro unless it was cold outside.

Old 08-15-2010, 02:32 PM

10 posts, read 47,242 times
Thanks all for the info! Unfortunately I would be making the commute along with everyone and their brother... rush hour. My baby loves to be held and tends to cry in the car seat so thats why I was thinking metro... but then again... I guess its worth a try to see how it will go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: