Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 10:52 PM

2,765 posts, read 8,332,648 times

Advertisements

Do you feel we're getting ripped off on groceries just because PWC and Fairfax area cost of living are more expensive? I just find our selection of produce at our grocery stores to be horribly over priced and so-so quality. I don't think Costco and BJ's club are that great with prices anymore, feel like they used to be. I have got a Restaurant Depot membership which I get better prices buying in bulk. I've also started shopping at the Korean stores like Lotte and Grandmart because their prices are much lower and have more selection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 05:55 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,268,360 times
It used to be a lot worse back when Giant and Safeway had a duopoly here and they were paying the high union pay and benefits that existed at the time. There are a lot more options now but it's still not as good as it could be or as it is in other areas out West. Keep in mind though that rents and wages around here are relatively high so they end up passing that through to you. Also, the local produce here isn't comparable to what you might be used to in a place like CA or it has to be shipped in from quite a distance. Fortunately for the grocers, there's not as much of a food culture here so the clientele isn't all that discerning.

Old 08-23-2010, 06:11 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,100,432 times
It depends on which areas you're comparing it to. Compared to Seattle or Portland the produce prices seem higher. Compared to other east coast cities, it seems lower. I just got back from a week in New Jersey and the groceries there were much higher than here.

I like to shop at Wegman's... or at stores that are within a 5-mile radius of a Wegman's. They seem to have better food and better prices. Competition is a wonderful thing.

Also, ethnic supermarkets are worth checking out. Grand Mart in Dranesville area has excellent produce and great prices on brand items. They carry a lot of the same things as other stores.

Old 08-23-2010, 06:23 AM

4,438 posts, read 8,137,308 times
I shop at Global Foods for their meat and produce, but go to Wegmans for their branded products. Giants/Bloom always seem to be more expensive on stuff. There is a Safeway near my house, that I go to if I just need something real quick and don't feel like driving 5 minutes to other grocery stores. I find that the produce at Safeway isn't very fresh at all.

Also check out Aldis.

Old 08-23-2010, 06:35 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,268,360 times
Unfortunately if you live around Alexandria, Wegmans isn't really an option.

Old 08-23-2010, 06:41 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,452,003 times
I'm big on coupons and good sales ... a good sale being defined as a good price on something I'd buy anyway, and not buy solely because it's on sale!

According to their calculations, I've saved over $250 at Giant so far this year. I especially like "buy one, get one free" ... but again, for something I'd buy anyway.

That said, we don't shop at Giant all that much anymore, and were never big fans of Safeway/Bloom/Shoppers/etc. We do 90-95% of our grocery shopping at Wegmans. I've looked at the prices of small, everyday things - stuff like the cookies I like to get - and the regular Wegmans price is better than Giant's price, and sometimes better than Giant's sale price.

Old 08-23-2010, 09:46 AM

3,307 posts, read 9,386,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Unfortunately if you live around Alexandria, Wegmans isn't really an option.
Will be in 2 years though!

Old 08-23-2010, 10:59 AM

494 posts, read 1,192,553 times
I read somewhere that when you pay a lot for fruits, you're really paying for the transit cost to get the fruits to your location. It's better for the environment that you buy fruits that are local and in season. If you have a penchant for chilean blueberries, they're probably being flown here in a carbon spewing jet.

Just a thought...

Old 08-23-2010, 11:57 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,950,389 times
Yeah, I went through price shock at my grocery store totals when I moved here. Everything is slightly more expensive--fruit, milk, deli stuff, cereal. It made me shop sales a lot more closely than I ever had to in California.

Old 08-23-2010, 12:05 PM

4,438 posts, read 8,137,308 times
It makes sense groceries being cheaper in CA considering we get a lot of produce from that state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia