Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 09:50 PM

696 posts, read 1,694,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
This has been weighing heavily on my mind lately. I have come to love where I live. When I first moved to the DC area 21 years ago, I HATED it! But now that I am in Vienna and raising a family, I find I like it quite a lot. The people are nice. They are educated. It's not too snobby and not too low-class. My biggest complaints are the expensive housing, the traffic, and the cold winters. But if I were to list my wish list, Vienna has about 80% of what I want on it.

Having said all that, we might be in a position to move in the not-to-distant future and when I visit other places and compare it to where we live now, I realize how good I have it here. I always thought I would love living down south, but I really don't know any more. If we could warm up the winters, make the beach closer, lose some of the traffic, and make more cute walkable downtowns, Northern Virginia would be perfect!
Great post. I never "hated" it when I got here, but would agree that I love about 80% of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 10:27 PM

9,779 posts, read 15,790,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Bradley View Post
Long Island, baby.
Long Island, NY? Why do you say that? I'm curious because we had a chance to move up there recently and turned it down. Many of the towns were gorgeous, i will admit - right on the water with beautiful yachts. But the expense and the traffic plus the inconvenient location - getting on and off the island seemed like such a pain - really turned us off. What do you like about it so much?

Old 08-23-2010, 10:32 PM

5 posts, read 12,242 times
I'm a tech and now work 100% from home - I'll be leaving NoVA soon, everything is way too expensive here and the residents are all snobbish and unpleasant without actually having the virtues of excellence or high productivity to back up the attitude. My next stop will likely be somewhere between Charlottesville and Blacksburg - Virginia as a state is a really nice place to live, the weather is temperate, there are four genuine seasons, and the land is beautiful. (Jefferson didn't end up in Monticello by accident.) The state is rich in history and has a diverse economy and people talk with that lovely Southern accent. Outside of NoVA it's conservative enough that you can live well outside liberal BS saturation zones.

Old 08-24-2010, 12:17 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,253,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apQ6Qx View Post
Jefferson didn't end up in Monticello by accident.
Since he was born at Shadwell and grew up in Albemarle County it's no real surprise he stayed in the area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apQ6Qx View Post
the residents are all snobbish and unpleasant without actually having the virtues of excellence or high productivity to back up the attitude.
I think you're overgeneralizing just a bit. Not too many snobs down here where Washington ended up.

Old 08-24-2010, 09:01 AM

8,982 posts, read 21,169,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
If I still needed to work:
Houston or San Antonio, TX- I'm nervous about really big cities but the job market in TX seems decent and housing is cheap (since I'll likely rent forever)
Don't count out Dallas (unless, of course, you can't stand the Cowboys, either *heh*). From visiting relatives there, it seems that a decent enough home in many of their exurbs - e.g. McKinney, Allen, Frisco - can be for as little as the low $100s with a reasonable commute to Plano, a more "master-planned" version of Tysons Corner.

Old 08-24-2010, 10:03 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
Don't count out Dallas (unless, of course, you can't stand the Cowboys, either *heh*). From visiting relatives there, it seems that a decent enough home in many of their exurbs - e.g. McKinney, Allen, Frisco - can be for as little as the low $100s with a reasonable commute to Plano, a more "master-planned" version of Tysons Corner.
Tone509, I hate all of their sports teams starting with the Cowboys. Plus it would be a little too close to family for comfort.

Old 08-24-2010, 10:28 AM

1,652 posts, read 3,880,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Long Island, NY? Why do you say that? I'm curious because we had a chance to move up there recently and turned it down. Many of the towns were gorgeous, i will admit - right on the water with beautiful yachts. But the expense and the traffic plus the inconvenient location - getting on and off the island seemed like such a pain - really turned us off. What do you like about it so much?
Hehe.. I was just being silly, mostly (trying to come up with a place that was even more densely populated and traffic-filled than NoVA, and LI came to mind). Some of the less densely populated places towards the far (away-from-NYC) end wouldn't be that bad, though, but I think you'd have to have a way to teleport yourself on and off the island.. Trying to drive from, say, Montauk to NYC on on a regular basis wouldn't really be feasible, I'd think.

Old 08-24-2010, 10:43 AM

76 posts, read 220,380 times
Phoenix, but since the wife won't move back there, it's San Diego. Three and a half more years here then headed to SoCal.

Old 08-24-2010, 06:41 PM

9,779 posts, read 15,790,796 times
Okay, I understand. I didn't think LI would be your cup of tea based on earlier posts of yours, but parts of it are beautiful so I wasn't sure. That was our major problem with it - leaving LI is a royal pain. That, and I didn't want my kids to grow up with a NY accent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Bradley View Post
Hehe.. I was just being silly, mostly (trying to come up with a place that was even more densely populated and traffic-filled than NoVA, and LI came to mind). Some of the less densely populated places towards the far (away-from-NYC) end wouldn't be that bad, though, but I think you'd have to have a way to teleport yourself on and off the island.. Trying to drive from, say, Montauk to NYC on on a regular basis wouldn't really be feasible, I'd think.

Old 08-24-2010, 07:19 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Where should I begin?

-Ann Arbor, MI
-Astoria, OR
-Austin, TX
-Baltimore, MD
-Bethesda, MD
-Bethlehem, PA
-Boston, MA
-Boulder, CO
-Burlington, VT
-Carlisle, PA
-Charlottesville, VA
-Dubuque, IA
-Duluth, MN
-Evanston, IL
-Everett, WA
-Frederick, MD
-Hoboken, NJ
-Huntington, WV
-Ithaca, NY
-Madison, WI
-Mankato, MN
-Marquette, MI
-Minneapolis, MN
-Morgantown, WV
-Newburyport, MA
-New York City, NY
-Northampton, MA
-Olympia, WA
-Philadelphia, PA
-Pittsburgh, PA
-Plymouth, MA
-Portland, ME
-Portland, OR
-Portsmouth, NH
-Princeton, NJ
-Providence, RI
-Richmond, VA
-Roanoke, VA
-Saint Paul, MN
-Salem, MA
-Scranton, PA
-Seattle, WA
-Silver Spring, MD
-Spokane, WA
-State College, PA
-Stillwater, MN
-Washington, DC
-Wilkes-Barre, PA
-Winchester, VA (technically not considered "NoVA" just yet)

Yep. I can't wait to move out of Reston someday. There's lots of places I'd rather be than in an HOA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia