Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 11:53 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,941,268 times

Advertisements

San Diego! Or home, to Santa Barbara.

The longer I spend out here, the more I'm realizing how much the weather affects my mood. I need to move to a place where I can be outside 360 days a year without my fingers going numb or my legs getting bitten by mosquitoes.

The beach makes me a happy girl too Easy access to sand between my toes would bring a smile to my face.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 12:13 PM

449 posts, read 1,393,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
San Diego! Or home, to Santa Barbara.

The longer I spend out here, the more I'm realizing how much the weather affects my mood. I need to move to a place where I can be outside 360 days a year without my fingers going numb or my legs getting bitten by mosquitoes.

The beach makes me a happy girl too Easy access to sand between my toes would bring a smile to my face.
Yes! San Diego is where my wife and I would move to in a heart beat.

Old 08-23-2010, 03:32 PM

219 posts, read 472,077 times
I haven't been to many of the places in the U.S. that most interest me these days, such as the Pacific Northwest, and the Rockies. My husband assures me Vancouver Island is heaven on earth and would be the ideal place to live, so we'll have to go see, one of these days. But everywhere I have been in the U.S. has a lot of charm for me.

Old 08-23-2010, 04:48 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,160,220 times
I'll preface this by saying that while I have been enjoying my time in NOVA and it serves my purposes, I also know that it's highly unlikely I'll be retiring here. And so with that...

Add a third "vote" for San Diego for the same reasons although it's more in the abstract as I've yet to actually visit there. But if it's anything like Manhattan Beach (yeah, I know that's in the LA metro) then I'll be good to go. I don't need to be directly on the beach, just give me that "360 days of mild sunshine".

And since "money is no object", I'd keep a place in Philly as well. Gotta stay connected to my hometown.

Last edited by FindingZen; 08-25-2010 at 08:38 PM.. Reason: realized that I meant Manhattan Beach, not Huntington Beach :)

Old 08-23-2010, 05:47 PM

9,776 posts, read 15,776,851 times
This has been weighing heavily on my mind lately. I have come to love where I live. When I first moved to the DC area 21 years ago, I HATED it! But now that I am in Vienna and raising a family, I find I like it quite a lot. The people are nice. They are educated. It's not too snobby and not too low-class. My biggest complaints are the expensive housing, the traffic, and the cold winters. But if I were to list my wish list, Vienna has about 80% of what I want on it.

Having said all that, we might be in a position to move in the not-to-distant future and when I visit other places and compare it to where we live now, I realize how good I have it here. I always thought I would love living down south, but I really don't know any more. If we could warm up the winters, make the beach closer, lose some of the traffic, and make more cute walkable downtowns, Northern Virginia would be perfect!

Old 08-23-2010, 07:27 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,276,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilsmom View Post
if money were no object? I actually would say Boston. We visited there a couple years back and just fell in love with it. Of course, there is the winter season.

I rule out CA just because I have an intense and irrational fear of Earthquakes. I also rule out HI because my husband spent 3 years there and while it is beautiful, it is SOO far from everything else.

We actually are relocating in the not too distant future. We're going to Austin, TX. It would have been Raleigh, NC except my parents decided to relocate when we do and we wanted to get closer to both of our families. My husband's family will never leave TX, so we have to go to them. They are in the San Antonio area, but I really dislike it there and Austin is only an hour away.

I love TX, Austin is nice and no state income taxes, of course the state tax and real estate taxes are higher

Old 08-23-2010, 07:46 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,723,992 times
Well I may not count since I actually moved from Northern VA but while Louisville is growing on me, I hope to have more of a choice in my location once I finish college.

If I still needed to work:
Houston or San Antonio, TX- I'm nervous about really big cities but the job market in TX seems decent and housing is cheap (since I'll likely rent forever)
Columbus, OH- I wasn't too impressed with my quick passthrough Columbus on my way to Louisville but numbers wise it looks decent also not expensive
Raleigh, NC- not far from my hometown and despite the violent change and growth I still like North Carolina

Dreamland
Hawaii- I love Asian and Pacific women and beautiful scenery
A decent beach town in Western Florida Pensacola maybe?

Old 08-23-2010, 08:29 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,388,802 times
Rancho Santa Fe, CA would be high on the list for a winter retreat, but only because I am a bit tired of the offerings in Orange County and other parts of San Diego. While I could easily assimilate back into the parts of Los Angeles where I am most familiar (Westside, Little Holmby, Malibu), the general feel of Los Angeles would be a bit too vibrant for a relaxing place.

Although for a desert place, Indian Wells would also rank high on the list, especially for the golf/tennis.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 08-23-2010, 08:42 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,879,472 times
Long Island, baby.

Old 08-23-2010, 09:48 PM

696 posts, read 1,694,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen 81 View Post
Seattle! I'd love to be near the Cascades and Puget Sound, drinking microbrews from Portland, not worrying about Snowpocalypses or 55 days over 90 degrees. I'm probably the only person who thinks that the Pacific NW has the best climate in the continental US, though.
I lived there for 30+ years and I'd say it's a beautiful place to live, minus the dreary overcast days! I miss Ivars and some of the other wonderful local restaurants. Oh and Mt. Rainier on a sunny day......nothing like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia