Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 07:05 PM

248 posts, read 700,634 times

Advertisements

Today around 6:05pm right before exit 57B (Fair Oaks) on I-66W, I saw a flying tire three lanes away.

I was nowhere near it, but that was really scary. That would have really screwed up my windshield. But if that hit a motorcyclist....that would be 100 times worse....

Do you guys see this often?

This might sound like a dumb question but I've never lived in a busy area until a year ago...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 07:25 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
Haven't encountered an actual tire - but several times have seen (and once was hit by) "gators" those retreads that semis use and often peel off and are left on roads - SCARY>

Old 08-23-2010, 07:41 PM

4,697 posts, read 6,445,432 times
I've seen it more than once, including on the Beltway during my last hour of a long trip back from Maine. But it wasn't flying - it was rolling ... fast.

I saw a puff of smoke, and then multiple brake lights ahead and to the right of me - I was in the third of four lanes from the right. Then, as I neared the car that seemed to be causing the commotion, I saw a wheel drifting across the Beltway and heading for me.

I tried to judge the speed and direction of the thing. Fortunately, there was nothing in the left lane, so I moved over there to give myself some more space. I swear it was like someone was steering the thing right at me, so I hit the accelerator, hoping to have it pass behind me. It ended up grazing my right rear bumper, and then it continued over to the median.

A slight scratch, a suddenly very wide awake driver, and another 45 - thankfully uneventful - minutes, and I was home.

Old 08-23-2010, 07:52 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,226,528 times
I have. I've also seen (and missed) a metal drum (barrel) falling off the back of a truck on the Cabin John bridge.

I once worked with a guy who experienced a wheel falling off his old VW Bug while he was driving.

Old 08-23-2010, 08:23 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
I have seen a tire flying, and it is scary, especially since the husband of an acquaintance of my parents was killed by one that came off a truck when I was a child. I lost a fog light and a chin spoiler to a flying retread that came off a semi and was run over by the car in front of me, which sent it into my car.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 08-23-2010, 08:40 PM

2,090 posts, read 4,244,907 times
I just missed one a few years ago on I-270 - VERY scary!

Old 08-23-2010, 10:37 PM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times
We saw a flying/rolling tire a few months ago, but we were actually out of town when we saw it. I once saw someone playing the clarinet while he was driving on the Beltway - now that was scary!

Old 08-24-2010, 05:24 AM

1,848 posts, read 3,724,411 times
It happened to my Husband. He left a Goodyear and went about 1/2 mile and wham...off came the tire, it crossed through a busy intersection, and he said he saw it in slow motion before he realized it was his and the car went...slam..on the road! Luckily people all got out and went scrambling for the tire and the lugs. He walked back to the dealer, and dumped the lugs on the counter. He said the guy almost sh*& his pants. About $2000 dollars later...courtesy of Goodyear.

Same guy..different car, a can of paint fell off a truck going down the interstate...and splat! red paint all over blue car! Called a detailer who removed every bit, tipped that guy well! Never could trace the painter!

Lesson...don't drive near my husband!

Old 08-24-2010, 06:41 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
I have a hat, with a flying tire logo* on it,that I put on the dash while driving. So. Yes I have seen one while driving in NOVA.

Seriously, no I have yet to see that happen.

*for those who like to have fun - guess which sports team it is.

Old 08-24-2010, 09:49 AM

1,339 posts, read 3,465,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I have a hat, with a flying tire logo* on it,that I put on the dash while driving. So. Yes I have seen one while driving in NOVA.

Seriously, no I have yet to see that happen.

*for those who like to have fun - guess which sports team it is.
The "tired" Nationals or the "deflated" Redskins?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia