Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 07:00 AM

23 posts, read 48,452 times

Advertisements

My family relocated from Delaware to Springfield last week, and spent 3 days exploring Lake Accotink, Burke Lake & Hidden Pond Nature Center since there are SO MANY parks nearby. This morning, I noticed two large scary looking bites on my daughters legs. They are hard, hot, swollen to the size of half-dollars and have a thin white ring around them. I'm curious if this sounds familiar to anyone, or can share some insight on what we need to be wary of when walking through the woods in the parks..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2010, 08:05 AM

430 posts, read 1,059,013 times
I am not a doctor or an expert, but it could be a spider bite or just a mosquito bite. I know I got eaten up by mosquitoes over the weekend.

Old 08-30-2010, 08:05 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,650,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AG1024 View Post
My family relocated from Delaware to Springfield last week, and spent 3 days exploring Lake Accotink, Burke Lake & Hidden Pond Nature Center since there are SO MANY parks nearby. This morning, I noticed two large scary looking bites on my daughters legs. They are hard, hot, swollen to the size of half-dollars and have a thin white ring around them. I'm curious if this sounds familiar to anyone, or can share some insight on what we need to be wary of when walking through the woods in the parks..

The difference in insect life between Delaware to Virginia should be minimal. Now if you were talking Florida, that would be a different story!!

It sounds to me that your daughter might have a sensitivity to bug bites (mosquitos in particular). I've seen this often in people--they just react more strongly to bug bites than other people. My daughter is that way.

Could it be that you were just outside with nature more so than when you are in Delaware?

The only bug bite that you need to be overly considered with is a deer tick bite. the swelling would not happen immediately though and the tell-tale "bulls eye" rash (rings around the bite) wouldn't happen for a few days.

Old 08-30-2010, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Could it be that you were just outside with nature more so than when you are in Delaware?

The only bug bite that you need to be overly considered with is a deer tick bite. the swelling would not happen immediately though and the tell-tale "bulls eye" rash (rings around the bite) wouldn't happen for a few days.
We are absolutely outside with nature more so than we were in Delaware, the parks, nature trails and lakes just do not exist where we came from! I gave her some Benadryl, and am keeping an eye on it. Just wanted to make sure there aren't any crazy little critters we needed to know about around here. You don't know what you don't know, therefore I ask!

Old 08-30-2010, 08:23 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,650,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AG1024 View Post
We are absolutely outside with nature more so than we were in Delaware, the parks, nature trails and lakes just do not exist where we came from! I gave her some Benadryl, and am keeping an eye on it. Just wanted to make sure there aren't any crazy little critters we needed to know about around here. You don't know what you don't know, therefore I ask!
Nothing out of the ordinary that I can think of.

I know you didn't ask but I'd probably put some hydrocortisone on it regularly as it sounds like an overreaction and I'd keep an eye on it. The only thing you'd want to really watch out for is that sometimes bug bite can get infected with staph due to staph always being on the skin and kids always scratching at the bite.

Old 08-30-2010, 08:57 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times
By any chance, when you were walking near the lake did you see a lot of flies with green heads? If so, it may be a fly bite. It's nothing to worry about, but may take a few days to go away. I'm surprised you weren't bothered by them in Delaware, since we usually encounter them when we go to Bethany or Rehoboth. These particular flies tend to hang out in marshy areas, especially salt marshes (but also places like Burke Lake).

If you're sensitive to flies, here's a good way to ward them off. Fill a baggie with water and 2-3 pennies and put it in a spot where the sun will bounce off the pennies. It drives flies crazy and they will not come anywhere near the baggie.

Old 08-30-2010, 09:35 AM

We lived in northern Delaware, nowhere near the marshes or beaches (unfortunately!). Did not notice any green-headed flies but the Hidden Pond nature center (I'm pretty sure that's where these bites came from) was so thick with trees and brush that we couldn't really see what was happening around our legs. hydrocortisone and the water/penny baggie trick is useful info, thanks so much! We love the abundance of nature here and will definitely make sure to be better prepared when we check out other parks.

Old 08-30-2010, 10:24 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times
Hopefully you'll develop an immunity as the years pass, too. That's what happened to me. When I first moved here I was very sensitive to the mosquitos. But after a year or so they either stopped biting me as much or I became immune to them.

Old 08-30-2010, 01:10 PM

628 posts, read 1,933,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
If you're sensitive to flies, here's a good way to ward them off. Fill a baggie with water and 2-3 pennies and put it in a spot where the sun will bounce off the pennies. It drives flies crazy and they will not come anywhere near the baggie.
There was--and maybe still is--a TV program that researched urban myths to determine whether true or false. I'd like to see some similar detective work done on this response to flies!

Old 08-30-2010, 01:57 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,087,071 times
As a precaution, you should call your pediatrician and talk to him/her or a nurse. It could be a spider bite or tick bite. Some spiders carry a type of venom that won't kill, but still may require treatment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia