Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 04:15 PM

33 posts, read 195,202 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone!

I am looking for one-bedroom apartment suggestions around $1200 in Arlington/Alexandria. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks so much in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2010, 07:23 PM

32,626 posts, read 77,789,489 times
Unfortunately your $1,200 budget for a 1-BR apartment won't get you very far at all for the sought-after communities inside the Beltway, but you may have a few options to consider.

COLUMBIA PIKE CORRIDOR, ARLINGTON: Located a couple miles south of the "action" of the Orange Line (Ballston-Rosslyn) Corridor of North Arlington, Columbia Pike is a neighborhood in transition that is lined with numerous apartment complexes, most dating from the 1960s-1980s. With several new mixed-use developments completed or in-process the other complexes in the neighborhood are starting to up their ante by renovating to also remain competitive, but this has the double-edged sword of also leading to higher rents. Even if you found a 1-BR apartment now for $1,200 along Columbia Pike, which is possible, it's also, sadly, a consideration that your rent will rise not only naturally as a result of market-driven forces annually, but also if the complex decides they, too, are going to renovate and sock their residents with a huge monthly rent increase to finance those new granite countertops. I participate regularly on the ARLNow.com blog, which is a great source of information for anything and everything pertinent to Arlington County, and while people on there cheer when a story breaks about another complex being renovated they don't seem to realize that those of us who make just too much to qualify for subsidized housing but not enough to pay Arlington's "market rate" for a 1-BR apartment are being left with fewer and fewer places to go. My budget for a 1-BR is generally in the $1,100/month-$1,300/month range, and while that's currently still possible in Arlington, especially in this neighborhood, once it becomes more gentrified/renovated you'll see those 1-BR rents rise to $1,300/month-$1,500/month+, like the rest of Arlington. Otherwise in Arlington you might be able to find a basement of a townhome or single-family home with a 1-BR unit available to rent around your price range. Arlington is the Beverly Hills of Northern Virginia because it's one of the few decent parts of the area, so be prepared to pay an arm and a leg for it.

DEL RAY, ALEXANDRIA: Located along Mt. Vernon Avenue a few miles from famed Old Town Alexandria is the funky little neighborhood of Del Ray. While rents here are by no means a bargain, either, Alexandria overall (outside Old Town) tends to be less expensive than Arlington due to the perceived (whether justified or not) poorer quality public school system. I personally find Del Ray to be just a tad too small for my taste in terms of its business district, but you'd be convenient to many other areas, including the Pentagon City Mall and the nearby Potomac Yards big-box stores. Bus service is good in Del Ray. I'm not sure of any particular complexes here that might fit your price range, but as with Arlington you might be able to find a private homeowner looking to rent out a unit.

SEVEN CORNERS/BAILEY'S CROSSROADS, FAIRFAX COUNTY: Located along Route 7 in Fairfax County, not far from the municipal boundaries of Arlington and Alexandria are these two working-class neighborhoods that offer relatively low rents, especially near to the Skyline area. I've always considered both neighborhoods to be very ugly (sorry), and the relatively high percentage of low-to-moderate income minorities in this part of the Route 7 corridor has kept rental prices relatively manageable. If I personally decide to just shoot for another 1-bedroom apartment myself in the Spring instead of searching for a roommate this is likely where I'll end up since you can find rent here that's even cheaper than my current very far-flung suburb of Reston. The neighborhood is replete with shopping/dining options (mostly chains, but there are some great ethnic eateries to be had), and you're not more than 10-15 minutes from Falls Church, Old Town Alexandria, or the Orange Line Corridor of Arlington during non-rush-hour. I personally always hate driving through the Seven Corners intersection (horribly congested and confusing due to the lack of lines on the road, as everyone basically just grips the steering wheel for dear life and hopes bumper cars won't ensue), but there are ways around it.

Old 09-05-2010, 09:45 PM

Thank you so much... I currently live here and know the budget is a bit tough (thus why I am having trouble). The apartment is for a friend who is looking to move for a job with the DCFD and as a result has a tight budget. I really appreciate any specific building suggestions!

Old 09-05-2010, 10:56 PM

38 posts, read 74,127 times
I don't actually live there; so, I'm not sure how desirable it would be; but E. G. Reinsch Properties runs some apartment complexes along Columbia Pike that run $1200-$1300 a month for a 1BR/1BA apartment. This includes gas, electric, water, and trash pickup.

Old 09-06-2010, 11:52 AM

26,706 posts, read 41,859,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by novachick101 View Post
Hello Everyone!

I am looking for one-bedroom apartment suggestions around $1200 in Arlington/Alexandria. Any suggestions are appreciated.

May want to look on the West End of Alexandria. Closer to Landmark is realtively cheaper than other inside the beltway spots in VA.

Old 09-06-2010, 08:44 PM

373 posts, read 823,045 times
Check realtor listings for condos in Parkfairfax (Alexandria) or Fairlington (Arlington). You probably could find an unrenovated unit for under $1300. Renovated units (updated within the last, say, thirty years) will run higher, of course.

Old 09-06-2010, 09:23 PM

261 posts, read 1,302,458 times
I'm not sure about current rates, but my daughter was living in Mason Hall in Alexandria and found it extremely satisfactory. The only reason she moved out is to share with a friend. It's walkable to the metro (just) and has good management.

Old 09-09-2010, 07:39 PM

Thank you so much! I will pass it along!

Old 09-09-2010, 08:14 PM

2 posts, read 3,898 times
I have been looking for a 2 bedroom place and found alot of 1 bedrooms in Park Fairfax and fairlington....none, not even 1 was wihtin that budget. I agree with other poster to try one of the condo's in the Landmark area.

Old 09-11-2010, 07:11 AM

3,378 posts, read 3,714,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by novachick101 View Post
Hello Everyone!

"Hunting Point on the Potomac" has apts in your price range. It is an older complex with 2 (9 story) towers on South Washington st in Alexandria.
I lived there for 6 months, and here's my 2 cents
pro: 1. close to old town and the potomac river
2. cheap - and it includes utilities
3. bus stop in front of building. 10 minutes to Braddock metro
4. Nice pool

con: 1. old building. maintenance is mediocre (at best)
2. VERY close to the Woodrow wilson bridge. traffic is loud. and,
helicopters also buzz through quite often.

Overall, I really like the location. being so close to Old Town, the river, parkway, etc. It is easy access to DC, and traffic is good (outside of rush hour) If you can accept the fact that it is an older building with some cosmetic problems then you should like it here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: