Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2010, 01:26 PM

6 posts, read 18,389 times

Advertisements

I've just moved to Lowes Island and have seen several posts on here with pictures of the lovely walking paths. Are there any maps of the paths? I moved here from Reston where there is a fantastic website with maps & photos of the paths including distances of various loops for runners/walkers. Is there anything similar available for the Lowes Island or Cascades area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2010, 01:30 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,075,798 times
Hmmmm, I don't of one but that would be a great thing to have. I'm still discovering paths, including some with nice little bridges that make me wonder how I never knew it was there before. Of course, not all these paths are in Lowes Island (which is fairly small) but they're close enough to easily walk to.

Maybe I'll see if I can draw a rudimentary one of the paths I know and see what you guys have to add to it.

Old 09-11-2010, 02:33 PM

OK, this is a very amateur map but FWIW here are a few of my favorite paths.

A. This path was recently given an official name. I don’t recall what it is, but my neighbors call it the Path to Heron Lake. It goes through the woods, around the lake, and has a nice view of the Potomac. The path that intersects with it leads to Algonkian park and over Potomac Falls (a spillway). The eastern part of that path goes behind a neighborhood and some years has a “Halloween Trail” set up by the people who live there. There are also a few paths that cross the golf course here that intersect with the Heritage Trail (the dotted line). The Heritage Trail goes all the way to Great Falls National Park (and beyond).

B. This is a golf cart path that leads up to the Estates. All of the streets up in the Estates are fun to walk along. Take Stonehouse Place two blocks and you come to Seneca Park. There are dozens of really cool trails in Seneca Park, some of which have names (The Doggy Splash, Cardiac Hill, etc.)

C. Lightning Bug Lane connects Lowes Island Blvd to Saulty. Walk it in July and you’ll see why it got its name.

D. The Pot Of Gold Trail. A very pretty walkway along a hill overlooking the golf course and a stream. The trees/bushes are bright yellow in the fall and spring, thus the name.

E. Brockman Farm Road. The original farm road now is used as a hiking trail. When you com to the end of the road, there’s an additional trail that starts just to the right of it. And you can also hike the firebreak that extends beyond that.

F. The 55 Plus community has a few extremely short but cute trails that circle around a wooded area. They also have a pretty bridge that’s fun to walk over.

G. This is where Potomac Falls is.

H. Shady Grove Trail is not in Lowes Island but it’s just a quarter mile or so away. A pretty wooded path that’s nice to walk in the summer (when you really want some shade). Eventually connects with Algonkian Park trail. Algonkian Park has several trails, as well.

The Heritage Trail runs through Trump's golf course. The golf course also has some nice paths to walk on. (Note: if you don't belong to it, you're trespassing.) If you're on a trail that goes through the golf course, remember to be quiet, especially if someone is putting.

Old 09-12-2010, 02:04 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,939,936 times
Also worth noting: Near where Brockman Farm connects to Lowes Island Blvd, there is a side trail leading to the tunnel that goes underneath Algonkian Parkway. Another trail leads to the sidewalk near the intersection of LI Blvd. and Algonkian. The tunnel connects with the western side of the Great Falls Plaza (the side with the Karate School and the Chinese Restaurant).

Old 09-15-2010, 12:03 PM

Thanks Caladium & Normie! That map is very helpful. I'll have to wear my pedometer as I explore these trails to see what the distances are. A couple of questions -

1. Do trails G & H intersect with each other somewhere to the west of this map?
2. Can you get from E to the eastern tip of G (maybe by going out on Middle Bluff Place?

I am trying to form a nice loop to walk with my dog that starts relatively near my home and goes by the shopping center so I can get a DD treat too

Old 09-15-2010, 12:05 PM

Oh, and I forgot to say that it would be fabulous to have a website with maps similar to the one Reston has:
http://www.restonpaths.com

Your wonderful photos of your walks would be perfect for such a site!

Old 09-15-2010, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestardawn View Post
Thanks Caladium & Normie! That map is very helpful. I'll have to wear my pedometer as I explore these trails to see what the distances are. A couple of questions -

1. Do trails G & H intersect with each other somewhere to the west of this map?
2. Can you get from E to the eastern tip of G (maybe by going out on Middle Bluff Place?

I am trying to form a nice loop to walk with my dog that starts relatively near my home and goes by the shopping center so I can get a DD treat too
1. Yes, G & H intersect, although it's a little roundabout. G runs behind a series of neighborhoods and then dead ends at the soccer fields near Algonkian Park. (Near Fairhills Ct. if you're looking on a map.) You will be tempted to think you're at the end of the trail, but you can take a sharp right hand turn onto a wide fire break. This goes for about 100 yards or so and then intersects with H. Turn right and you get to the falls, turn left and you go to Algonkian Park.

By the way, I made an error drawing the entrance to G off the 7. It's actually on the left side of the river, and I drew it on the right side.

2. IMO, the best way to get from E to G is to take the little turn at the top of Clifton Point (it's where the paved path ends and the firebreak begins). Then walk down Clifton Point. It's a nice residential street, with a fairly steep hill and a pretty nice view on a clear day. At the bottom of the hill, you'll see a little path that goes between the houses. That takes you to G.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia