Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 12:16 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times

Advertisements

Concerns Raised Over Green Power Plant | Loudoun Independent

Last February, Hamilton-based Green Energy Partners announced plans to build a "hybrid energy power plant" south of Leesburg. Instead of using coal, it will harness solar power, steam and natural gas to produce electricity. The design uses wastewater from Leesburg that currently goes into the Potomac (approximately 5 million gallons a day).

Fairfax Water has now sent a letter to Loudoun officials protesting this proposal. They're concerned that converting wastewater to steam could eventually alter water levels in the river since the wastewater would no longer be returned to the Potomac. Green Energy Partners argues that their system would clean the Potomac and the Chesapeake watershed.

So... what do you think? Is this power plant a good idea or a bad idea?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2010, 12:49 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Steam is water vapor, no? Wouldn't all of that water vapor just ascend into the atmosphere and just come back down as rain at some point?

Old 01-02-2010, 02:04 PM

I'm not a climatologist, but I'm guessing the Fairfax Water Authority thinks steam would be blown out over the ocean before it had a chance to fall to the ground.

Personally, I'm not to worried about water levels since the Potomac gets fed by snow pack from West Virginia. Yes, we have droughts every once in awhile. But not year after year, so the river has a chance to recover. Right now excess snow melt runs off into the river. So, my guess is if the level was lowered by the power plant, all that would happen would be less of the snow melt would run off into the ocean.

The thing that makes me wonder is... why did Fairfax Water Authority take so long to file this protest? It's been almost a year since the proposal. And I wonder why the Loudoun Water Authority isn't also protesting. Hmmmmm....

Old 01-02-2010, 02:35 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
The thing that makes me wonder is... why did Fairfax Water Authority take so long to file this protest?
Maybe because Fairfax County is California "punctual?"

Old 01-03-2010, 09:03 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Maybe because Fairfax County is California "punctual?"
Ummmm..... what????????

Old 09-15-2010, 02:05 PM

I know this got approved last spring. I was wondering if anyone knew if it was operational yet, or when they expect it to start operating.

Old 09-16-2010, 02:02 PM

I vaguely recall reading that it would open next spring. But I haven't seen anything about it in the paper for a long time. I wonder if something happened to this project? (Or, maybe things are humming along, which makes it boring. No news is good news, as they say.)

Old 09-16-2010, 03:15 PM

You know, you should contact the editor at the Loudoun Independent and see if they'll do a story on what's new with this project. That's one of the few places that still has reporters who dig up stories (as opposed to printing press releases). I'll bet they'd think it was a interesting idea for a story or at least they'd know who to contact to find out.

Old 09-16-2010, 05:32 PM

509 posts, read 974,161 times
Normie had me curious about this - I hadn't heard about it, but not living in Loudoun County I suppose it wasn't big enough news to get wide mention.

Anyway, this article from April of this year claims it still needs state and federal approvals, and is a good 18 months from construction starting, and 5 years from being operational:

Environmentally Friendlier Power Plant Gets Green Light | Loudoun Independent

Also, that article has a link to their website at http://www.loudounpower.com/ - if you look though it - one place there's a list of all the approvals they need to get - it is HUGE! All kinds of state and federal agencies in the list. It is definitely a long way off from happening, until it passes all those hurdles.

Old 09-17-2010, 07:36 AM

Thanks, ngadude!

I knew this was a good place to ask. Our forum not only has a nice mix of people willing to be helpful, it also has such a diversity of knowledge and contacts. Anyway thanks again for finding the article. I've also seen one a little more recently than that one that said an approval had been given. But maybe that's just one of many approvals? It sounds like it's quite a process. So maybe Normie's right and it hasn't been in the news because this is a waiting period.

I'm very excited about this project (LOL can you tell?) and can't wait to see it in operation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia