Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 10:18 PM

1 posts, read 2,152 times

Advertisements

Got a phone call from a tutor asking our kid to attend a Prep class for 2nd grade students. (yes, 2nd grade)

The class is for preparing the screening test of Advanced Academic Program of fairfax County public schools (FCPS).

It's a 2-3 hour class, and I was wondering what they could teach in such a short period. The tutor hinted they would provide some very useful information about the test.

There were rumors that the same tutor knew the test question set before the test, and offered private tutoring for 2nd graders right before the test in the last couple of years.

I want all kids (including mine) get treated fairly. What should I do now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2010, 05:23 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,650,359 times
Don't go?

I know some kids who took the test for this program and none of them went to a "prep" class. I'm sure some kids do, though. If it doesn't feel right to you, then don't do it. I agree that you should get in on your own merit not because you memorized some answers.

Old 09-18-2010, 05:27 AM

2,462 posts, read 8,918,965 times
Well, you COULD give the tutor's name and phone number to the folks in charge of the testing. If he/she REALLY has access to the test questions, then the FCPS people should be advised.

Otherwise, ask yourself if you really want to subject your second grader to a three-hour cram session for a test that is supposed to be a test of innate intellectual ability rather than an academic achievement test.

Old 09-18-2010, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claremarie View Post
Well, you COULD give the tutor's name and phone number to the folks in charge of the testing. If he/she REALLY has access to the test questions, then the FCPS people should be advised.

Otherwise, ask yourself if you really want to subject your second grader to a three-hour cram session for a test that is supposed to be a test of innate intellectual ability rather than an academic achievement test.

Also, there is nothing wrong with going to a short "prep" test to ease some anxiety or uncertainty that young children may have with how the test is going to look or be conducted. For instance, this is done at high school level with SAT prep tests. They do "practice" tests so that the student has a feel for the format of the test, how much time they are going to have, and what they are up against for that many hours.

If the prep class is something along those lines, I don't see a problem with it. However, if they are strictly going over questions and answers and trying to provide some of the real questions, that is just wrong. A second grader *might* need an hour long prep class just to practice the test. And I say *might* very generously. I think the test is geared toward that age group and most kids don't need it at all.

These 2nd grade "prep" classes are taking advantage of you to get money.

Old 09-18-2010, 05:48 AM

696 posts, read 1,693,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claremarie View Post

EXCELLENT! Consider this your rep points....it says I must spread the wealth first.

Old 09-18-2010, 05:48 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,583,639 times
I'm not sure what the point would be. If you are referring to the tests used to determine who will go to the gifted program, I have seen those and some preparation would probably increase a child's score a little bit. However, that's not the only thing used to determine "giftedness," so again, what's the point. If you really want your child in the gifted program and they don't get into it on the school side, you can simply do the paperwork yourself and get them in. That's actually how most kids in the gifted centers have gotten there. Parental placement.

Old 09-18-2010, 07:14 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,311,022 times
Bottom line: If a child needs to cram to get into the Advanced Academics program, then that child should not be in the program.

Old 09-18-2010, 07:21 AM

106 posts, read 106,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post

Also, there is nothing wrong with going to a short "prep" test to ease some anxiety or uncertainty that young children may have with how the test is going to look or be conducted. For instance, this is done at high school level with SAT prep tests. They do "practice" tests so that the student has a feel for the format of the test, how much time they are going to have, and what they are up against for that many hours.

If the prep class is something along those lines, I don't see a problem with it. However, if they are strictly going over questions and answers and trying to provide some of the real questions, that is just wrong. A second grader *might* need an hour long prep class just to practice the test. And I say *might* very generously. I think the test is geared toward that age group and most kids don't need it at all.

These 2nd grade "prep" classes are taking advantage of you to get money.
How many 2nd graders are really having anxiety or uncertainty about a test? This prep class is really to ease the parent's anxiety or uncertainty.

How much is this individual charging for this prep class?

I would report this person.

Old 09-18-2010, 07:22 AM

106 posts, read 106,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
I'm not sure what the point would be. If you are referring to the tests used to determine who will go to the gifted program, I have seen those and some preparation would probably increase a child's score a little bit. However, that's not the only thing used to determine "giftedness," so again, what's the point. If you really want your child in the gifted program and they don't get into it on the school side, you can simply do the paperwork yourself and get them in. That's actually how most kids in the gifted centers have gotten there. Parental placement.
Yes, and the test results is a percentage of the admission process.

Old 09-18-2010, 07:25 AM

I'm going to pose a question that is probably going through the original poster's mind.

Assuming all the children are very smart, if a number of children go to this "prep" class where the teacher may be all but giving out some answers, and the OP's child does not AND if these children get a few more points on the test but the OP's child is gifted, is there a chance that the OP's child might not make the program because a number of children "cheated" and got extra points?

I'm not sure how the program works. Is there a minimum point score to get in or is it scored on a curve?

If there is a minimum point requirement to get in, say 100, and OP's child gets 102 points and the cheaters get 110 points, then no big deal. But if they take the top scoring children could this prep class give those kids and edge and knock the OP's child out?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia