Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 01:28 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,878,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
You just described my house. However, mine's a cheapy for 450k.
Ooh.. lucky. I have my eye on one of them that's listed at $499.. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and waiting for winter (when sellers with languishing properties tend to get a tiny bit desperate and more willing to accept semi-lowball offers, sometimes).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2010, 01:31 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,087,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
You just described my house. However, mine's a cheapy for 450k.
Actually, I would think these are a hot commodity in your area? Can't go wrong with those hardwood floors though!

Old 09-21-2010, 01:33 PM

77 posts, read 154,120 times
I agree- there are houses under 500k inside the Beltway- I said at least 700k for new/updated/renovated with a yard. I'm not the type to buy a 500k house that hasn't been touched since the 80s and want to renovate.

Old 09-21-2010, 01:38 PM

8,629 posts, read 9,130,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Bradley View Post
Ooh.. lucky. I have my eye on one of them that's listed at $499.. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and waiting for winter (when sellers with languishing properties tend to get a tiny bit desperate and more willing to accept semi-lowball offers, sometimes).
Actually my home was built in the 80s and does have hard wood floors in the family room-dining room but old carpet everywhere else and wallpaper galore.

I had nothing to do with the wallpaper except ripping it down in which it is an absolute nightmare.

Old 09-21-2010, 01:38 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,087,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by novadc View Post
I agree- there are houses under 500k inside the Beltway- I said at least 700k for new/updated/renovated with a yard.
Yes but you are not the OP. And we do not know what location they're looking at or if they only want something turn-key.

Quote:
I'm not the type to buy a 500k house that hasn't been touched since the 80s and want to renovate.
Maybe so. But there are plenty of people who'd jump at the opportunity to work on a project like jmking's house.

Old 09-21-2010, 01:40 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,085,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherm941 View Post
Fairfax county is known for good schools and there are many great and safe places to live. I know it may be frustrating, but picking a "side of town" is very important for your commute so it is really impossible to research to far without knowing exactly where you will work. Just know most of Fairfax county is nice with very good schools and you won't have trouble finding saftey and good schools. The biggest problem with the area is the price of real estate. You may want to rent first until you get a feel of exactly where you want to go because it is such an investment. I am not sure what kind of houses are inside the beltway for under 500,000 because I have never seen them but my guess would be very small and old ramblers. Outside the beltway, a modest size properties built in the 60-70s with a standard lot are going to be 450-650.

Best of luck
Not necessarily, particularly if one is looking in Annandale, parts of Falls Church (Fairfax County, not city) Springfield or parts of Alexandria (Fairfax County, not city). The schools may not be in the "top pyramids" in the county, but they'll still be part of a county-wide system that's one of the best in the country.

It's a different dynamic in the City of Alexandria - the SFHs may often be more expensive, but people also have more reservations about the public schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia