Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2010, 05:20 PM

1 posts, read 1,651 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,

I recently got a job in Tysons' corner-- right next to the mall (literally). My husband and I want to move somewhere where our commute time is as little as possible. My school is near the VA square metro stop and I will be going pretty often. My husband works by the navy yard in DC, and likes to drive into work because he often meets with clients around the dc/va/md area throughout the day.

So, considering the various locations we need to commute to: Tysons, Arlington, and DC: where should we live? we're open to pretty much any neighborhood.

We are looking to rent an apartment or condo and we aren't concerned with paying higher rent in one place versus another.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2010, 05:32 PM

628 posts, read 1,933,048 times
Arlington seems best. Close for your husband's job. You go against the traffic to Tysons, and school is within a few miles or less. If you move farther out, you may be closer to Tysons, but in the traffic flow; your husband will have a more difficult commute; and getting to your classes could be a real headache.

Old 09-23-2010, 05:40 PM

384 posts, read 1,028,880 times
I would live as close to Virginia Square as possible. I wouldn't go further than West Falls Church. I did the work-school-home schedule and wished I lived closer to the school to maximize my time.

Old 09-23-2010, 05:46 PM

2,380 posts, read 4,513,808 times
Why not around Ballston? Hubby can Metro to Navy Yard if need be, drive to other meetings, you can reverse commute to Tysons (I'd avoid I-66 inside the beltway which is a bear for reverse commutes), and if you have night classes, then you're right at home when you get out of class.

Old 09-23-2010, 06:05 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpickrell View Post
Why not around Ballston? Hubby can Metro to Navy Yard if need be, drive to other meetings, you can reverse commute to Tysons (I'd avoid I-66 inside the beltway which is a bear for reverse commutes), and if you have night classes, then you're right at home when you get out of class.
My thoughts exactly.

Old 09-24-2010, 04:37 AM

2,462 posts, read 8,918,965 times
If money is no object, then living in Arlington near Virginia Square is a no-brainer.

Old 09-24-2010, 08:45 PM

837 posts, read 1,798,063 times
Arlington is the obvious choice, if you can afford it. You didn't say what budget you had in mind.

Old 09-26-2010, 07:22 AM

11 posts, read 33,682 times
Default Rosslyn

A nice central location to the Metro would be Rosslyn. If price isn't too important then I would recommend the Turnberry Condominiums. There is an indoor pool there and they are the nicest in Arlington.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia