Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 07:50 AM

27 posts, read 59,760 times

Advertisements

I am looking at a possible move from SOVA to NOVA and am curious in trying to budget for a potential move what the biggest cost of living factor there is to consider. In talking with people up there, it seems like it is housing and that everything else is fairly un-noticable especially if you know how to budget well. We are 30-somethings so we have become a lot more frugal than we used to be!

Right now I pay $1550 for a 3 bed townhouse in Hamtpon Roads (southern VA), but I will be getting at least a $20,000 raise (right at a 6 fig income right now before the raise to new job in NOVA). So I figure if I have to increase my rental payment to $2000ish for a similar place out the outskirts (chantilly, reston, etc etc) then the $20,000 raise should more than make up for that???

What else am I missing that would be that much more? Thanks for the help! Just trying to make sure the raise is enough to offset anything else that I might be missing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2010, 07:52 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
Is housing the single largest cost of living jump in NOVA? Absolutely, unless you're moving from an area that's even more expensive (LA, NYC, Honolulu, Tokyo, London, etc.)

Old 09-24-2010, 08:02 AM

No, just southern Virginia.

I'd hardly call it LA, NYC or Honolulu

Old 09-24-2010, 08:32 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
I'm not sure what else to add for extra costs, since you're already here in VA you probably pay a similar car tax. Yesterday there was a thread from a woman in Austin asking the very same question. She got a few responses on this issue which should help you.

Last edited by Caladium; 09-24-2010 at 08:41 AM..

Old 09-24-2010, 08:40 AM

214 posts, read 487,775 times
Don't forget to calculate how much of that $20,000 raise you will actually be taking home . Daycare costs are very expensive here compared to southern Virginia.

Old 09-24-2010, 08:40 AM

259 posts, read 510,276 times
My college professors always preached to me the power of empirical data. So in their honor I present to you some data. It should answer your question. I used Arlington as an example. This is a rough estimate of course, but it shows you just how much of a difference it is at a glance. As you can see the biggest factor is HOUSING. I hate that sometimes, but that's life.

Moderator cut: Copyright issue: The data presented belongs to another website.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 09-24-2010 at 09:45 AM..

Old 09-24-2010, 08:51 AM

I've looked at that chart/website quite a few times and noticed the exact same thing. Everything looks pretty dead on except housing so thats why I posed the question. I actually don't live in Hampton and won't live in Arlington so I was doing more of a comparison between say Williamsburg (where we would end up living if we stayed in SOVA) vs say Reston, Chantilly etc further out from Arlington.

I would live further out as I don't have "set" business hours so to speak. If I schedule a meeting at 10:00, I can pretty much work from the house, then go to the meeting, then go into the office if needed.

Old 09-24-2010, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunbanker View Post
I've looked at that chart/website quite a few times and noticed the exact same thing. Everything looks pretty dead on except housing so thats why I posed the question. I actually don't live in Hampton and won't live in Arlington so I was doing more of a comparison between say Williamsburg (where we would end up living if we stayed in SOVA) vs say Reston, Chantilly etc further out from Arlington.

I would live further out as I don't have "set" business hours so to speak. If I schedule a meeting at 10:00, I can pretty much work from the house, then go to the meeting, then go into the office if needed.
Actually Williamsburg would be almost as much as many areas in Northern Virginia. Either way seems like you have some expensive options.

Moderator cut: Copyright issue

Last edited by bmwguydc; 09-24-2010 at 09:46 AM..

Old 09-24-2010, 09:01 AM

This is why I've always said that it's easier for a noobie (career-wise) like myself to move to the DMV area because I don't have much to start out with in the first place. There is no major downgrade for me, I can only gain. I would assume it would be harder for a family that is already accustomed to living well, having a nice house, and having a nice salary to have to move to the NoVa and "downgrade" their lifestyle for a career move. Now I am officially going to stop complaining.

Old 09-24-2010, 10:07 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,941,268 times
Housing is absolutely the biggest expense in the area. There are a lot of little things that are more expensive here than back home (southern california), but there are several things that are cheaper, too.

For example, getting a manicure here costs $20. Back home, it was $7. Same goes for most services. Boarding my dog is double what it cost in So Cal. OTOH, a gallon of gas here is always at least $1 per gallon less than back home--and since I fill up my car WAY more often than I get my nails done, I feel like I come out ahead!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia