Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 02:52 PM

25 posts, read 47,246 times

Advertisements

When we lived in SoCal and Washington state, we had the picture-framing super store, Aaron Brothers. Is there a comparable type of 'mega store' here in the DC metro area? Not looking for anything custom....just copious varieties of standard-size picture/photo frames. Haven't been able to identify a similar store out in the this area. We live in Old Town Alexandria (which obviously doesn't lack in framing stores--just not the kind we're looking for--with tons of pre-made frames to choose from), if that makes a difference. Happy to drive wherever for a great store. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2010, 03:08 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times
Wish I could help you--we used to have Aaron Brothers here. I'm not sure if we do any more. I just googled it to give you directions, and I'm getting conflicting info. The Aarons site seems to indicate no nearby stores, but google seems to think there's a store in Sterling and one in Silver Spring. Maybe you can call and find out for sure. You can also try Michaels.

Here's what google says, maybe you can call and find out for sure if this place is still open:

Aaron Brothers
46301 Potomac Run Plaza
Suite 135
Sterling, VA 20166

(703) 430-4918

Last edited by normie; 09-26-2010 at 03:17 PM..

Old 09-26-2010, 03:11 PM

384 posts, read 1,028,880 times
I have used pre-made frames from Michaels Arts and Crafts in Springfield. They had a lot of frames and mats to choose from. I have also bought frames from IKEA and they were a complete disaster to assemble.

Old 09-26-2010, 03:50 PM

5,014 posts, read 6,597,909 times
Michaels and AC Moore both are the types of places you're looking for. You can usually find coupons for 40% off one item, and 2-3 times a year, each place offers 1/2 price framing.

Old 09-26-2010, 06:04 PM

491 posts, read 1,170,106 times
Pretty sure Aaron Brothers closed all their local stores in this area, and on Rockville Pike, too. Try the phone numbers, tho--maybe Rockville's is still open. Good store; good sales!

Nowadays I check ACMoore (and look for a coupon). Michaels has gotten sloppy and expensive.

If you want to take a ride into Fairfax City, Total Framing (on Main Street, in the shopping center next to the one that has Trader Joe's) is a great place, too. They have a nice selection of ready-made frames (tho not as many as ACMoore's), and they also do reasonably priced custom work for when you need that.

Old 09-26-2010, 07:08 PM

696 posts, read 1,693,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayh View Post
When we lived in SoCal and Washington state, we had the picture-framing super store, Aaron Brothers. Is there a comparable type of 'mega store' here in the DC metro area? Not looking for anything custom....just copious varieties of standard-size picture/photo frames. Haven't been able to identify a similar store out in the this area. We live in Old Town Alexandria (which obviously doesn't lack in framing stores--just not the kind we're looking for--with tons of pre-made frames to choose from), if that makes a difference. Happy to drive wherever for a great store. Thanks.
I miss Aaron Brothers! We have some beautiful frames with the kids pictures in them on the stairwell. Last weekend a visiting little friend somehow knocked it down and broke the glass.

Believe it or not I've found some good frames at Kohls. Otherwise I'd pick AC Moore over Michaels....cheaper too.

Old 09-26-2010, 07:11 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
We had a great one on Telegraph, Pearl Art and Crafts. Unfortunately I think they closed due to the road construction around there.

Old 09-26-2010, 07:31 PM

Thanks to everyone who posted such helpful and quick replies on this drizzly Sunday. It's hard to believe that Aaron Brothers (or something of the like) hasn't been able to make a go of it in this area. I guess if my day job ever falls through, I have a good franchising opportunity to consider!

Old 09-27-2010, 03:09 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,087,071 times
What size(s) of frames are you looking for? Some of the best places I have found large frames (and small ones too) has been thrift and consignment shops, auctions, yard sales, and flea markets. Some of them are practically brand new and only need a general cleaning. Alot already have the glass, mats, and hanging devices already installed. I have found some incredible frames including antique, solid wood, hand-carved frames from Mexico, gold leaf, and ornate plaster. If you're a DIYer you can stain or paint the frames to match your decor.

If you need glass or replacement glass you can get that at Home Depot or Lowes (they'll cut to size) as well as masonite for the backing. They also sell the wire, clips, and things needed for hanging.

Old 09-27-2010, 04:35 PM

Looking at garage sales is a great suggestion. I can't count how many yard and garage sale signs we've driven by this summer...never thought to stop and see if we could pick up some inexpensive frames. Just looking for the standard sizes...so nothing out of the ordinary. Thanks for the suggestion.

And for the benefit of others who have read this thread, I confirmed that the closest Aaron Brothers is Atlanta--so just a bit outside of our typical weekend excusion range!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia