Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 06:50 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,186,569 times

Advertisements

BREAKING NEWS — County Board Votes to Withdraw from Immigration Enforcement Program | ARLnow.com

Is Arlington County to become a sanctuary city for illegal immigrants? This afternoon the Arlington County board voted to become the first community in Virginia — and one of the only communities in the country — to withdraw from the federal Secure Communities immigration enforcement program. It was notable that the Board kept the issue off of its official agenda for today's Board meeting. The Board is known for quietly passing controversial laws without notifying the community.

The issue was promoted by Board member Walter Tejada who very publicly condemned Prince William County's efforts to get control of its significant illegal immigration problem. Tejada's condemnations included language that many believe offered welcome for PWC's illegals to Arlington.

I hope that this thread will not become an off topic politics thread. There is a significant issue, however in what happens to a community when it becomes a sanctuary for illegals. Yours truly had to flee his home in Montgomery County MD when the Silver Spring / Wheaton community flipped overnight when illegals flooded in. The sanctuary welcome was extended by the residents of the white island fortress of MoCo's Bethesda / Chevy Chase where non-whites and foreigners are effectively excluded. There is a similar wealth and community divide in Arlington.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2010, 07:23 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet walker View Post
BREAKING NEWS — County Board Votes to Withdraw from Immigration Enforcement Program | ARLnow.com

Is Arlington County to become a sanctuary city for illegal immigrants?.
More like a sanctuary for state and local constitutional rights. Moderator Cut

Last edited by FindingZen; 09-29-2010 at 07:03 AM.. Reason: off-topic; let's not make this a "federal case"

Old 09-28-2010, 07:29 PM

660 posts, read 1,704,676 times
Let's not use hyperbolic language. You said you had to flee, meaning armed bands of undocumented Latinos were banging on your door, stealing your things, and the police refused to help? You had no time to gather up your belongings and sell the house before crossing the Potomac?

Good for Arlington! The County Board probably didn't publicize the move because it knew that the anti-immigration crowd would descend en masse from places other than Arlington. The Arlington County Board is elected to represent Arlingtonians, and my guess is that the position adopted today represents the views of a majority of the community.

As far as whether this vote will change Arlington...well, Prince William County's Latino community is still the largest in Northern Virginia, percentage-wise, despite their Arizona-esque ordinance dating back to 2007, so I am skeptical that Arlington is going to change all that much. Which part of Arlington do you expect to see a flood of new arrivals from elsewhere in NoVA?

Old 09-28-2010, 09:07 PM

461 posts, read 909,333 times
Arlington is 100 percent Democrat as far as elected officials go. This has been accomplished by providing subsidized housing for approximately 30 percent of the population.

Someone ought to start a thread on the success/failure and rivalry between DC Metro area Maryland (really Montgomery County) and NOVA. DC Metro Maryland has driven itself from top employer in the area into a state of decline. NOVA has taken over as the top employer in the region.

While Fairfax County fought it's way into its position of prominence, Arlington has had the advantage of bordering (and formerly being) DC. In particular, they have an extremely high concentration of government contractors.

I agree with the OP in concern. At some point a critical mass is created when you bring in the poorest of the poor from other countries. If there is any lesson to be learned, it is the failure of MD. I'm sure glad I don't live in Montgomery right now.

Old 09-29-2010, 02:19 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
There is a better chance of 7 the cities of Hampton Roads, Virginia combining into one big city (they hate each other) than Arlington ever enforcing the law on illegal immigrants.

I've come to peace that illegals are here but one thing I will not accept is the government willfully letting them stay whenever they commit crimes other than their presence here. This was just an absolutely dirty move by not putting it on the agenda. This shows what kind of trash is on the Arlington board.

Old 09-29-2010, 04:29 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
As an American who has lived abroad in many countries for 10 years. You have no idea how COMMON it is throughout the world...even as an American...to have random authorities give visa status checks on you...just randomly in the street, etc. Anywhere.

Real interesting observing the States which seems to really care less about it. On the other hand, when all kinds of people ARE legal and ARE Americans despite the many different faces out there, it is difficult to enforce without offending nearly half of the citizenry. (I think it's only white/black who would be immune from random checks).

Throughout Asia and South America..I got those status checks all the time. But everyone knows the gringo guy in South America, or the white guy in Asia probably isn't a local citizen. However, I was always legal.

Old 09-29-2010, 05:37 AM

4,264 posts, read 9,275,556 times
For the few who have replied and seemingly have no issue with the decision made by Arlington County, will you be affected by this decision? Will your children see a loss of federal funds as they are being diverted to teach the children of the illegals to speak English so they can function in the schools, so the schools can continue to make AYP? Will your property values be affected? I have lived around a large illegal population for much of my life and they tend to live numerous families to a house in order to afford the rent, I can only imagine how many families will be required to live together in Arlington, since we all know how expensive it is to live in Arlington.

Old 09-29-2010, 05:52 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,085,417 times
I guess one question that I had is whether this is a case of Arlington wanting to have its cake and eat it, too. In other words, it seems that Arlington is becoming more expensive by the day, with fewer lower-income residents (legal and illegal) able to afford it. At the same time, the County Board takes a "stand" that allows it to demonstrate its purported commitment to human rights.

Would they have taken the same action if Arlington were in a different location, and Clarendon looked like Hybla Valley or Wheaton rather than Clarendon? Will making Arlington a "sanctuary" county have any significant impact on the number of undocumented alients who will actually be able to afford to live there?

Old 09-29-2010, 05:53 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
For the few who have replied and seemingly have no issue with the decision made by Arlington County, will you be affected by this decision? Will your children see a loss of federal funds as they are being diverted to teach the children of the illegals to speak English so they can function in the schools, so the schools can continue to make AYP? Will your property values be affected? I have lived around a large illegal population for much of my life and they tend to live numerous families to a house in order to afford the rent, I can only imagine how many families will be required to live together in Arlington, since we all know how expensive it is to live in Arlington.
Unlike where you were before, much of the immigrant population here is legal so whether Arlington follows or doesn't follow the law would have little impact on these concerns. There are multitudes of Africans and Latin Americans here on "temporary" protected status due to conflicts in their home countries. When people say they're for immigration as long as it's legal, I wonder if they realize the magnitude of this class of immigrants. Nobody seems to want to take that issue on, but I think it's a bigger deal here than illegals.

Old 09-29-2010, 06:19 AM

4,264 posts, read 9,275,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Unlike where you were before, much of the immigrant population here is legal so whether Arlington follows or doesn't follow the law would have little impact on these concerns. There are multitudes of Africans and Latin Americans here on "temporary" protected status due to conflicts in their home countries. When people say they're for immigration as long as it's legal, I wonder if they realize the magnitude of this class of immigrants. Nobody seems to want to take that issue on, but I think it's a bigger deal here than illegals.
I decided to rephase my post so as to not come across as being antagonistic, if it as you say that much of the immigrant population in NOVA is legal be it that they did the necessary paperwork or they are here on protected status due to conflicts in their home countries, why would Arlington feel the need to be named a sanctuary city? Are they anticipating an influx of illegal immigrants or do they perhaps know more than the citizens of NOVA?

Last edited by ajzjmsmom; 09-29-2010 at 06:43 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia