Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 04:25 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairfaxGuy73 View Post
Secure Communities is using a risk-based approach to prioritize enforcement actions involving criminal aliens..
That's a laugh and a half. Just like our "risk based approach" to terrorism and the war on drugs. Surely you've been around long enough to notice how quickly political posturing turns "risk based approaches" into zero tolerance. You apparently have way more trust in the rationality of government, particularly the Federal government, than I have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2010, 05:29 PM

461 posts, read 909,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Because under the law my understanding is that if they were to commit a crime these TPS residents can be deported. Also, as to the sanctimoniously delivered question above "why don't they just become citizens?", people here under TPS have no advantage over anyone else in gettting it. It's highly unlikely they could, even if they've lived here from the time they were a small child, which many around here have.
Those receiving Temporary Protected Statuse are supposed to be deported. Check out the word TEMPORARY.

Besides, from what I've found, they are supposed to follow the same rules as other immigrants.

"The regulation specifies grounds of inadmissibility that cannot be waived (for TPS applicants), including those relating to criminal convictions and the persecution of others."

http://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/homesec/RS20844.pdf

Old 10-01-2010, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Those receiving Temporary Protected Statuse are supposed to be deported. Check out the word TEMPORARY.
And how's your government doing with that? Just how much TEMPORARY do you see going on around here? You've apparently bought their bull hook, line, and sinker.

Old 10-01-2010, 06:24 PM

461 posts, read 909,333 times
Quote:
And how's your government doing with that? Just how much TEMPORARY do you see going on around here? You've apparently bought their bull hook, line, and sinker.
That's my point. Azizimom acts like it's the worst thing in the world for a criminal alien to get deported because it's so in her mind that the immigrant should stay here forever. This is wrong.

Sure, I know that every time a foreigner comes here in a student visa, TPS or whatever, all they want to do is stay here forever, and that often includes illegally or through marrying an American just so that they can remain here.

I also know that TPS is often a bogus way to skirt our immigration laws and that most of the people coming here are in no danger at all other than what goes with any Third World country.

Oh yeah, another is those H1-B work visas that allow foreigners to take away jobs from Americans because they take less pay and then work the system as hard as they can to stay here again, and in what would have been American jobs.

You seem to have it imbeded in your mind that these temporary programs are permanent paths just like Azizmom. Well, the law says differently.

"Aliens who receive TPS are not on an immigration track that leads to permanent residence or citizenship. The “temporary” nature of TPS is apparent in the regulation."

Old 10-01-2010, 06:58 PM

Quote:
You seem to have it imbeded in your mind that these temporary programs are permanent paths just like Azizmom. Well, the law says differently.
No I'm saying just the opposite. TPS has evolved into a permanent way for these people to remain here without even the need for a path to citizenship. My theory is our government has a deal with the ruling elites of these countries to relieve them of the danger that a large disaffected underclass could present to them. In exchange they back our policies and corporate interests. This is why the program is never rescinded.

Old 10-01-2010, 07:28 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,275,556 times
Quote:
That's my point. Azizimom acts like it's the worst thing in the world for a criminal alien to get deported because it's so in her mind that the immigrant should stay here forever. This is wrong.

Sure, I know that every time a foreigner comes here in a student visa, TPS or whatever, all they want to do is stay here forever, and that often includes illegally or through marrying an American just so that they can remain here.

I also know that TPS is often a bogus way to skirt our immigration laws and that most of the people coming here are in no danger at all other than what goes with any Third World country.

Oh yeah, another is those H1-B work visas that allow foreigners to take away jobs from Americans because they take less pay and then work the system as hard as they can to stay here again, and in what would have been American jobs.

"Aliens who receive TPS are not on an immigration track that leads to permanent residence or citizenship. The “temporary” nature of TPS is apparent in the regulation."

I have to say I am really lost here on how you came to the conclusion that I think it is the worst thing for a criminal alien to be deported? I would ask that you take the time and go back and read my replies to the OP and see where it was that I said they shouldn't be deported if they were illegal and a criminal. If you want to know my feelings in regard to the illegal issue please DM, as my comments would not be appreciated if I told you how I really felt.

Last edited by ajzjmsmom; 10-01-2010 at 07:48 PM..

Old 10-01-2010, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
I have to say I am really lost here on how you came to the conclusion that I think it is the worst thing for a criminal alien to be deported? I would ask that you take the time and go back and read my replies to the OP and see where it was that I said they shouldn't be deported if they were illegal and a criminal.
But how do you feel if they're legal and a criminal? That's the more likely scenario in Arlington and elsewhere around here.

Old 10-01-2010, 07:56 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,275,556 times
Quote:
But how do you feel if they're legal and a criminal? That's the more likely scenario around here.

If they are not a citizen and they are caught commiting a criminal act that falls into the definitions that has set up, then they need to be deported, as I said earlier part of them being here as a TPS is that they not be a criminal, when they are caught committing a crime then they need to leave. They are not citizens they are merely here legally, just like someone with a green card, when they violate that, then they need to be deported, be they 19 or 99. There is a big difference between being here legally and being a citizen, those who are here on TPS are not citizens.

Old 10-01-2010, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
If they are not a citizen and they are caught commiting a criminal act that falls into the definitions that has set up, then they need to be deported, as I said earlier part of them being here as a TPS is that they not be a criminal, when they are caught committing a crime then they need to leave. They are not citizens they are merely here legally, just like someone with a green card, when they violate that, then they need to be deported, be they 19 or 99. There is a big difference between being here legally and being a citizen, those who are here on TPS are not citizens.
That's a fair and honest answer. A lot of smoke gets blown about illegals and the real issues get lost in it.

My question is whether there should be TPS in the first place. Many times it puts us and these folks into rather uncomfortable situations as in the case of a 19 year old lifelong resident being exiled to a strange land for a relatively minor offense.

Old 10-01-2010, 08:13 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
This is a second reminder to keep this thread focused on Arlington or NOVA in general. General discussion about immigration will have this thread either moved to the Illegal Immigration sub-forum under Politics or closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia