Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2010, 06:33 AM

2,186 posts, read 7,941,485 times

Advertisements

Anyone a member of the YMCA in Reston? Is it nice? Impressions of the facility? Any other recommendations? Since at least one of us will be working in Reston, I think it would be better to find a gym closer to Reston but if the Brambleton area has some great options, please let me know. I like the option of a Pool, of course tons of cardio and circuit equipment (preferably with some sort of tracking program like FitLinxx) that also has spinning classes and pilates. An indoor track would be a plus.

TIA for all your helpful tips!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2010, 06:48 AM

2,136 posts, read 5,308,494 times
Brambleton has Sport & Health, which opened up earlier this summer. I personally think it's really nice but some of the people who are members of Lifetime over by AOL think that's it's not as great. But then again, Lifetime is like an expensive resort. S&H has a three-lane indoor lap pool; a large outdoor pool with waterslide and splash pad; cardio and circuit equipment (not sure about the FitLinxx); a full schedule of group classes (http://sportandhealth.memfirstweb.net/club/scripts/programs/view_prog_schedule.asp?S=3&VT=W&MFCODE=BR&APP=191 - broken link) but not much Pilates; no indoor track that I've seen. The spinning room is NICE.

Every household in Brambleton was given a free one-year membership to Sport & Health by the developer, with an additional $10/mo. for a second adult, and $10/mo. for up to four kids. (I don't know if that's being extended to people buying new or not.) So sometimes it's really crowded - but that seems to be leveling out a little bit now that school's back in.

There really isn't anything else close to here. They are building a new Super Gold's over behind Verizon Business, but I don't know much about it (and it's out of the way if you are commuting from Brambleton to Reston). Oh, and there's a Fitness First (http://www.fitnessfirstclubs.com/ashburn-health-club.html - broken link) in Ryan Park.

Old 09-28-2010, 07:07 AM

2,145 posts, read 3,058,991 times
Lifetime is great. No indoor track, though.

Old 09-28-2010, 07:54 AM

2,309 posts, read 2,312,138 times
I never thought a gym mattered...a treadmill is a treadmill BUT I was wrong. LOVE Lifetime Fitness off of 28 in Sterling. We used to go to LA Fitness in Dulles but this is so much better!

Old 09-28-2010, 11:17 AM

1,449 posts, read 3,170,151 times
Our neighbors have a Y membership, but I have found that it is only cost effective with a family. However, it is pretty much the only gym in Reston that fits all your criteria (the only other places I can think of with fitness equipment, classes and a pool in Reston or Herndon are their community centers).

I get promotional offers in the mail for Lifetime Fitness and the new Gold's Gym all the time, but those are out in Sterling and a bit too far for me.

I have been a member of both Fitness First and Gold's Gym over my time here in Reston. Both good gyms with everything you asked for but the pool.

I now utilize exerciseTV both online and on my FIOS On Demand for workouts. I keep thinking about doing Zumba classes at the Herndon Community Center or over at Rhythm Street in Herndon, but just haven't found a good time for that yet (such is life when you're juggling schedules with a kid).

Old 09-28-2010, 01:14 PM

219 posts, read 472,077 times
The Y has every amenity you listed, though spinning is not in a dedicated room as it sounds like it is at the new Brambleton S&H. They do have pilates and pilates reformer, but not a ton of pilates classes to choose from. They do have a great variety of classes and I love spinning there - good instructors. If you go Y, get there eaaaarly for the weekend spins.

I suggest touring both. Though, if you qualify by residency for the free membership deal cdmurphy describes - that's hard to beat.

Old 10-01-2010, 09:21 AM

2,186 posts, read 7,941,485 times
Thanks for the tips. I will check them both out.

Old 10-01-2010, 11:28 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
I go to Fitness First here in Reston, and I've been "content" there. Ideally it would be a bit larger, as I've had the misfortune of having to wait around for machines on numerous occasions due to how busy the place can get. Reston's an extremely "fit" suburb, so with that comes extremely busy gyms/health clubs, unfortunately.

Old 10-01-2010, 12:59 PM

648 posts, read 1,333,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RestonRunner86 View Post
I go to Fitness First here in Reston, and I've been "content" there. Ideally it would be a bit larger, as I've had the misfortune of having to wait around for machines on numerous occasions due to how busy the place can get. Reston's an extremely "fit" suburb, so with that comes extremely busy gyms/health clubs, unfortunately.

You aren't kidding, RR. I have never seen so many people in my life that are dedicated to fitness like they are here. Rain or shine, blazing hot or not, I ALWAYS see people out running.
I think it's fantastic, I wish I was that ambitious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia