U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 04:25 PM

2 posts, read 3,589 times

Advertisements

I was wondering what Alexandria would be like for a 35 yr old single female. What are the safe areas to live? How much are single bedroom apartments? What is there to do? What is the tone of the area? Would living in DC be better (or would traffic be horrible to/from)?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2010, 05:52 PM

15,400 posts, read 26,459,631 times
You're bound to get lots of replies, but while you're waiting you might want to look through a bunch of threads we've had from similar people asking the same questions. Also, a really nice photo thread.

Old 09-30-2010, 07:28 PM

246 posts, read 1,243,380 times
There is tons to do in Alexandria, especially the old town area. Its close to Arlington and DC and is slightly less congested in traffic. There are plenty of high rise apartments or condo in Alexandria that have one bedrooms.....you won't have a problem finding a place; just depends how much you want to pay and the amenities you are looking for. Based on your user name, it sounds like you are from L.A., CA? I used to live along King Street just by 395. Very convenient area along King St. and Seven Corners.

Old 09-30-2010, 07:47 PM

12,226 posts, read 21,668,355 times
Moderator Cut

As to moving to Alexandria, are you talking about City or Fairfax County?

Last edited by FindingZen; 09-30-2010 at 08:02 PM.. Reason: removed deleted quote and its reference

Old 09-30-2010, 08:22 PM

8,113 posts, read 18,636,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavin' LA View Post
I was wondering what Alexandria would be like for a 35 yr old single female. What are the safe areas to live? How much are single bedroom apartments? What is there to do? What is the tone of the area? Would living in DC be better (or would traffic be horrible to/from)?

Thanks in advance!
Two of the more important questions that would help us help you would be:

1) Where will you be working? and;

2) How much is your preferred rental budget?

Note, as mentioned before, that there is the City of Alexandria as well as the unincorporated section that is in Fairfax County. If you are looking outside I-495 (the Beltway) or 395, you're in the county. My response for now will focus on the city.

Generally speaking, the vast majority of Alexandria is safe. Some parts of town where a solo lady may want to be self-aware late at night might include Arlandria, the Parker-Gray area in North Old Town and, perhaps on a "case-by-case" basis, the West End/Landmark neighborhood.

To my knowledge, 1BR apts (in complexes) can be as low as $1100 and as high as $1800.

Old Town is the downtown which, as you can imagine, trades on its historic value. You'd fit right in the demographic of the lively but not rowdy 30-plus crowd that patronizes the bars, restaurants and mostly local shops.

Just west of Old Town, Del Ray is the closest that Northern Virginia comes to a "funky" scene that attracts young families and mildly progressive types to the primarily local merchants and restaurants.

Along the major arteries of King Street and Duke Street, you can find the occasional interesting restaurant among the usual strip mall suspects.

Compared to DC, Alexandria is a more laid-back city that, other than the high-rises in Old Town and the West End, is very suburban residential. If you work in DC - and driving isn't part of your job description, then taking the Metro train - with a possible short Alexandria DASH bus or Metrobus connection - may be more convenient.

Old 10-04-2010, 12:27 PM

2 posts, read 3,589 times
The job is with the Dept of Agriculture (the announcement just specified Alexndria, so I'm not sure if it's City or Fairfax County).

My budget for rent is ~$1300 give or take (depending on the pay scale I can get).
I do have a car (so I would definitely want parking) but as far as getting to work I would much prefer to take public transportation or ride my bike (I lived 1 mile from my previous job & rode my bike for 10 yrs...very fortunate, I know).

Old 10-04-2010, 12:32 PM

8,875 posts, read 11,158,499 times
Is it the food and nutrition service? Thats in the Park Center complex, IIUC, right near king street near 395. You could get an apt in one the park center buildings (or whatever they are called now) or across King Street in the Arlington area called Fairlington, and walk to work (or a really short easy bike ride, from the more distant parts of Fairlington, or from the Shirlington area)

Old 10-04-2010, 12:39 PM

100 posts, read 195,887 times
The Carlyle Mill Apartments are a five-minute walk from the Eisenhower Avenue metro station, and the area seems safe to me. There's a lot located nearby: restaurants, a movie theater, Whole Foods--and you'd be very close to Old Town. The drawback, of course, is that the apartments are pretty expensive--the smallest unit rents for $1525, according to the complex web site.

Wish I could offer cheaper suggestions, but that's the extent of my familiarity with Alexandria apartments.

Old 10-05-2010, 08:59 AM

246 posts, read 1,243,380 times
I used to live at the Pointe at Park Center (no buffering between walls, can hear your neighbors above) and its literally less than a block from the FNS building in Alexandria. Its convenient and clsoe to 395 onramp. They are condos but many are rented out. You could walk there in two minutes. There are also two other hi-rise apartments nearby (one is called Aventine, don't know the name of the other on the corner of Ford and Park center) and another called the Palazzo down the street a little further. All those are walking distance to FNS with the USDA. FNS also has shuttle from that area that will take you to the main USDA building back in DC by the Smithsonian Metro stop during rush hour time.

Old 10-05-2010, 11:13 AM

1,624 posts, read 4,463,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zotmeister View Post
FNS also has shuttle from that area that will take you to the main USDA building back in DC by the Smithsonian Metro stop during rush hour time.
It's my understanding intra-agency shuttles are not supposed to be used for commuting purposes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia