Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 07:36 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baileysgirl View Post
Some people say pick a food? Not sure? Like a chilis! Not sure if you have them up there.. But I know that is a favorite of her's.
I think the point was any neighborhood near a Whole Foods is bound to be a desirable area.

Bloom and Food Lion work the same way. A few years ago, Food Lion (a local grocery store) split their stores. The ones in pricier neighborhoods became a little more upscale and were renamed Bloom. The ones in the more affordable (but sometimes dicier) neighborhoods remained Food Lions. So, if you want a quick way to gauge a neighborhood, check to see if it has a Bloom or a Food Lion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2010, 09:40 AM

738 posts, read 2,956,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baileysgirl View Post
Thank you to everyone that responded....

The one she has her orientation with first is the Chicago School of Professional Psychology, which if I'm correct it is in DC.. We agree she will most likely live a good 30 minutes away. We would like to favor the southwest area...

And yes she's over living with people! So the budget is going to be tough... She will be looking for a job / internship.. She would rather find a place she can live until she graduates, (2 Yrs) It would be nice if she could find a job and get to stay.. Oh the joy! lol..

And a place that allows a small dog... I will check all these areas out.. If you have any other suggestion, let me know..
Some people say pick a food? Not sure? Like a chilis! Not sure if you have them up there.. But I know that is a favorite of her's.

Thanks again..
Have you come up with a budget/price range you're looking to find housing in? I'm not sure which area of the country you're currently from, but it can be an eye-opener to see what an apartment costs to rent in this area. Depending on the budget, she may want to reconsider roommates, or at least have a high tolerance for a longer commute, or you may just have a large budget. Hard to give good suggestions without a price range in mind though, as it varies heavily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
I think the point was any neighborhood near a Whole Foods is bound to be a desirable area.

Bloom and Food Lion work the same way. A few years ago, Food Lion (a local grocery store) split their stores. The ones in pricier neighborhoods became a little more upscale and were renamed Bloom. The ones in the more affordable (but sometimes dicier) neighborhoods remained Food Lions. So, if you want a quick way to gauge a neighborhood, check to see if it has a Bloom or a Food Lion.
Did your stores actually change when they switched the name to Bloom? Several of ours were "upgraded" from a Food Lion to a Bloom store, and I swear that not a thing changed with them

Old 10-08-2010, 10:33 AM

384 posts, read 1,028,880 times
Baileysgirl,
The Whole Foods and Trader Joes grocery stores typically locate in some of the most desireable neighborhoods. People even request that Whole Foods open a store in their neighborhood because coffee shops, cute gift shops, and yoga studios are soon to follow. In Northern Virginia, you can get a rough idea about the neighborhood by the type of surrounding grocery stores. Plus cross reference that with a REI or Ann Taylor/Banana Republic/Nordstrom and you got yourself a place to check out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia