Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 06:49 AM

3 posts, read 15,512 times

Advertisements

Straight up question?

What town or city is a good place for a young lady to live while going to grad school in DC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2010, 08:09 AM

282 posts, read 873,019 times
In what part of the city is the school in?
Housing budget?
Tolerance for roommates and commute?
If, for example, the school is Georgetown and the budget is $2,500/mo, then Georgetown would be a good place to live. But if the school is GW, then somewhere between Foggy Bottom and Dupont would be better. If the budget is $900/mo, w/o roommates, then it's a different story.

Old 10-05-2010, 12:43 PM

461 posts, read 909,333 times
Check out the three other threads on this page, search CD and then come back.

Old 10-05-2010, 12:53 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,555,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FairfaxGuy73 View Post
Check out the three other threads on this page, search CD and then come back.
since she resurrected a three year old thread, i think she probably DID search CD.

Old 10-05-2010, 01:02 PM

461 posts, read 909,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
since she resurrected a three year old thread, i think she probably DID search CD.
My mistake.

Old 10-05-2010, 06:49 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
Note that the preceding posts were moved to this new thread from another thread to make the topic more relevant.

Old 10-05-2010, 07:01 PM

2,462 posts, read 8,918,965 times
Which school will you be attending?
Do you plan to commute by car?
Housing budget?
Living alone or with roommates?
Will you be holding down a non-campus job during grad school and, if so, where will that job be located?
Will you be commuting to and from campus during regular working hours, or late at night/weekends?
Will you be living in DC year-round, or just during the academic year?

As previous posters have noted, it's impossible to answer your question without more information.

Old 10-05-2010, 07:19 PM

384 posts, read 1,028,880 times
Straight up answer?

Rosslyn, Clarendon, Ballston, Pentagon City, Foggy Bottom, Courthouse, Capitol Hill,
Logan Circle-stan near the 14th and P Whole Foods.

Pick a whole foods and draw 1-2 mile concentric circles for the most desireable neighborhoods. I am not kidding. Trader Joes works too. Good luck!

Old 10-06-2010, 06:57 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandoras View Post
Straight up answer?

Rosslyn, Clarendon, Ballston, Pentagon City, Foggy Bottom, Courthouse, Capitol Hill,
Logan Circle-stan near the 14th and P Whole Foods.

Pick a whole foods and draw 1-2 mile concentric circles for the most desireable neighborhoods. I am not kidding. Trader Joes works too. Good luck!
That's a very good non-scientific analysis!

Note to the OP: in case you weren't aware, only the neighborhoods I bolded are in Virginia. If you had some misgivings about living in DC, there are certainly comfortable (albeit not inexpensive) neighborhoods such as those suggested above.

Old 10-07-2010, 07:15 AM

3 posts, read 15,512 times
Smile Thanks for the help..

Quote:
Originally Posted by g3org3 View Post
In what part of the city is the school in?
Housing budget?
Tolerance for roommates and commute?
If, for example, the school is Georgetown and the budget is $2,500/mo, then Georgetown would be a good place to live. But if the school is GW, then somewhere between Foggy Bottom and Dupont would be better. If the budget is $900/mo, w/o roommates, then it's a different story.
Thank you to everyone that responded....

The one she has her orientation with first is the Chicago School of Professional Psychology, which if I'm correct it is in DC.. We agree she will most likely live a good 30 minutes away. We would like to favor the southwest area...

And yes she's over living with people! So the budget is going to be tough... She will be looking for a job / internship.. She would rather find a place she can live until she graduates, (2 Yrs) It would be nice if she could find a job and get to stay.. Oh the joy! lol..

And a place that allows a small dog... I will check all these areas out.. If you have any other suggestion, let me know..
Some people say pick a food? Not sure? Like a chilis! Not sure if you have them up there.. But I know that is a favorite of her's.

Thanks again..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia