Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2011, 12:55 PM

1 posts, read 2,052 times

Advertisements

I have a couple questions regarding commuting to dupont circle area. Basically I just took a job on 19th and M, a couple blocks south of dupont circle. Thinking about my commute, I can get an apartment in old town that is a 7 minute walk to the Braddock metro stop, then ride the metro to farragut west (20 mins), then walk to my office for another 10 mins. Maybe throw in another 5 minutes for waiting for the metro. this is about 40-45 minutes. I was wondering if this is a realistic estimate on my part during rush hour, or am I in fantasy land?

Anyone currently doing this or a similar commute? Also, I am an avid biker, so the Mt. Vernon trail looks great. Anyone commute on the mount vernon trail? how is it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2011, 07:32 PM

8,982 posts, read 21,181,432 times
That's pretty realistic. The wait could be as much as ten minutes occasionally. And then there's the random "traffic jam" when train doors don't close due to mechanical (or passenger ) error. But that's a pretty good estimate IMO.

Old 03-28-2011, 12:26 PM

282 posts, read 873,681 times
Take a look at the bus, too. There's an express Metro bus (11Y) that runs from Old Town to downtown DC.
Metro - Bus
http://www.wmata.com/bus/timetables/va/11y.pdf

Old 03-28-2011, 12:54 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,234,916 times
I used to bike commute on the GW Parkway bike trail into DC, to Washington Circle (close to GW University). It's a popular path but not crowded during the morning and afternoon commute (heaviest recreational usage is weekends). North of Four Mile Run it's mostly straight without the twisties that characterize the trail south of Old Town. It's a mixed-use trail, so there can be walkers, joggers, rollerbladers, and cyclists, but on weekdays (especially mornings) not too much of anything other than cyclists. Pretty flat trail other than an overpass at the airport and a few other short inclines. You could do it single-speed without difficulty.

I used Memorial Bridge to cross into DC. The Rock Creek Park trail in DC isn't the greatest for bike commuting (narrow and sometimes bumpy, IIRC). You could take it to P St then on to Dupont, or get off earlier and ride more on the streets. Which raises the question - are you comfortable riding on city streets?

Old 03-28-2011, 03:59 PM

298 posts, read 681,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mibrady2 View Post
I have a couple questions regarding commuting to dupont circle area. Basically I just took a job on 19th and M, a couple blocks south of dupont circle. Thinking about my commute, I can get an apartment in old town that is a 7 minute walk to the Braddock metro stop, then ride the metro to farragut west (20 mins), then walk to my office for another 10 mins. Maybe throw in another 5 minutes for waiting for the metro. this is about 40-45 minutes. I was wondering if this is a realistic estimate on my part during rush hour, or am I in fantasy land?

Anyone currently doing this or a similar commute? Also, I am an avid biker, so the Mt. Vernon trail looks great. Anyone commute on the mount vernon trail? how is it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Mike
Hey, I worked at 19th & M in my past!

Your estimate for times is about right. Keep in mind that the walking part will be miserable in the snow and rain, so if you're going to be at 19th & M for the foreseeable future and don't have kids (you mention an apartment), you might also look on the Red Line for apartments. Cleveland Park, Woodley Park in DC would be a great commute, as would living in Dupont Circle itself, and just walking to work. Old Town is great, but not a terrific commute to NW DC, IMO. 45 minutes one way is a pretty long commute for living so close to the city.

As for biking, it can certainly be done and it really isn't too difficult a ride. I used to run from that area down Rock Creek Parkway and then down the Mt Vernon trail to Old Town. If I could run it, I'm sure you could bike it!

Old 03-29-2011, 07:00 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,491,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SallyField View Post
Your estimate for times is about right. Keep in mind that the walking part will be miserable in the snow and rain...
Bad weather days, take the Yellow Line to Gallery Place, then the Red Line to Farragut North. Adds the time for a train-change, but Farragut North exits at Washington Square. Big reduction in walk-to-office time as compared to Farragut West.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia