Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you view the Dulles Town Center [VA] in comparison to any other mall you've been to?
Far better 1 3.70%
Equal to some of the ones I've been to 17 62.96%
Lacking this or that in comparison to the ones I've been to. 9 33.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 09:04 AM

19,496 posts, read 9,525,458 times

Advertisements

How do you view the Dulles Town Center in comparison to any other mall that you've been to - and please give us an idea of what other malls and location [city/STATE].
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2010, 09:27 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
I'd say it's equal to a lot of other malls I've been to.

It's not far superior to all other malls--for example, it's not a tourist destination or huge, like Mall of America. It doesn't have an ice rink or anything like that. It doesn't have lots and lots of "Rodeo Drive" level stores (although it does have several very nice jewelers, Lord & Taylor, and Nordstrom).

Some things that I like:

1. It has a nice assortment of the sort of stores that I actually buy things from. Some upscale, but mostly upper middle class stores. I wish there were more gift shops/unusual shops but I guess it makes sense that a lot of those stores are closing these days. Still, they have 4-5 stores that are fun to browse through (as well as the typical clothing, furniture, sporting goods, and department stores). The Swarovski crystal shop, the Albuquerque artwork shop, and the sports autograph shop are 3 favorites.

2. I like the restaurants there, especially the Benihana and Cheesecake Factory. Mimi's is a popular place to get breakfast.

3. It's a good place to meet friends. You can go there before the stores open and see people meeting at the Starbucks and the Caribou. Also a fair number of people walking the malls for exercise. Lots of community events, such as fireworks in the parking lot and little fairs and festivals in the mall.

4. Parking is better than at most malls. It's easy to find a space, even at Christmas.

5. I love the train! Also the carousel and the kids playground that looks like Dulles Airport.

6. This is a weird one, I know, but I like that a few of the stores are only accessible from the outside. I bought a really interesting chair at that two store furniture store next to Nordie's. I didn't even know that store was there until the day I was shopping for chairs! I can't quite explain why I find this amusing, but I do.

I like that it's ringed by restaurants, then a second ring of apartments, hotels, and office buildings. I like that a lot of people can walk there from where they work or live. Also, it's a good place to catch the bus.

Old 10-12-2010, 11:32 AM

2,136 posts, read 5,308,494 times
I like Dulles Town Center. I usually go there at least once a week - on Sundays we like to take our kids to the play area, the food court, and either a train ride or carousel ride. (The play area is a germfest; we are always sure to hose down with sanitizer afterward. Tysons is better in that respect.) We have also been to the free weekly Rocknoceros concert.

It's never too crowded (but then again I don't go near any mall near the holidays). The food court has some good options. There are a lot of stores that I actually shop at (unlike Tysons).

Old 10-12-2010, 11:46 AM

100 posts, read 219,941 times
I like it, and I miss it. (I've been there just a couple of times, if that, since moving to Alexandria.) It's busy but not chaotic like Tysons, and there are several good restaurants. There are far more youth-oriented stores than are useful to me, although I enjoyed them 10 years ago when I was in my early 20s. I think it's a good "family" mall, while having lots of options for teenagers, too.

Old 10-12-2010, 11:49 AM

172 posts, read 563,803 times
I like DTC - it's got all of my "go-to" stores - Lord & Taylor, Nordstrom, Bath & Body Works, Dicks Sporting Goods, etc. Plus, all of the kid/teen stores my DS likes. It's not huge like the malls in Texas, or Tysons & Pentagon City, but it's sufficient for me & my family. And it's clean & a not a big "teen" hangout like I've seen at other malls. Works great for me .

Old 10-12-2010, 12:21 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times
It's my favorite of the malls in northern VA, although Tyson's is more fun if you're window shopping during the holidays. DTC is where I actually buy things.

My favorite thing about DTC is watching the people in the Cookology cooking classes. They always seem to be making something intriguing and I love seeing all the students in their white chef hats. Also, who doesn't love that train? It's hilarious.

DTC does a good job getting new tenants for vacant stores. I like the furniture store that moved into the old Disney Store. The store I miss is the Virginia Store. It was fun to go in there and see little wooden models of Loudoun buildings and other local merchandise.

Old 10-12-2010, 01:01 PM

2,136 posts, read 5,308,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
DTC does a good job getting new tenants for vacant stores. I like the furniture store that moved into the old Disney Store. The store I miss is the Virginia Store. It was fun to go in there and see little wooden models of Loudoun buildings and other local merchandise.
Yeah, I liked that store too. After the DTC one closed, there was still at least one other, at Manassas Mall. I went there a couple of times but I think it's closed now too (I haven't been to Manassas Mall for years.)

I was thrilled when the Body Shop finally came to DTC. Now if we could just get L'Occitane...

Old 10-12-2010, 01:39 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
Speaking about restaurants, don't forget P. F. Chang's is opening in November. Can't wait, I love having lunch there.

Old 10-12-2010, 02:46 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,240,040 times
I went there once after an interview in Herndon. I think I got some earrings at piercing pagoda and a t-shirt at Hot Topic. It was nice if I lived in the area I'd be all about it but I wouldn't go out of my way to shop there. It doesn't have anything that I can't get at Fair Oaks or Pentagon City. Tysons is just too big and busy for me I rarely go there. But I would consider Tysons a destination mall while I would actually consider Dulles Town Center to be kinda ordinary. And I'd say the same about Fair Oaks mall but since I work just across the street I'm over quite a bit.

Old 10-12-2010, 08:47 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Dulles Town Center is also my favorite mall in the region for the aforementioned reasons. My friends and I love Tysons for Brio and the movie theater. Fair Oaks is fine in my book as well. I like the Kirkland's there. I've bought numerous home decor items there "on the cheap" since moving here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia