Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 11:10 AM

7 posts, read 10,837 times

Advertisements

I'm a teacher from Puerto Rico, with planning on relocating at NOVA. I have several job offers, from MD, DC, and VA, but the two that are most interested for me are on Alexandia and the other is in REston. The beggining salary is 30,800. I know is not so much, but compare in PR that is a LOT. Ok, I was looking for aptos in the area of Reston and there are extremely expensive. I can start with an apt, between 800 or 900 months. So I thought that I will look at cities or county near Reston, where I can take the metro and get to my possible job.

Can anyone advice me of places (counties, cities) were is not so expansive and that I can get to Reston via public transportation. I don't think I will be a car inmediatly. I'm able to pay 800, 900, maybe a 1,000 for an apto, but not more that that.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2010, 11:18 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
That salary is (IMO) too low to live near Reston or Alexandria, especially if you don't have a car and don't plan to buy one. I'd look at some other job opportunities in other cities, if it was me. If you do decide to come out here your best bet for an inexpensive apartment near Reston would probably be in Herndon or Sterling Park. If you really like to walk, you might find a place that's walking distance (but it's doubtful). I'm not sure what the bus connections would be like, but you could google that.

Old 10-18-2010, 11:21 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,941,268 times
There is no metro to Reston. There are buses that run, but you won't be able to take the subway.

Would you be open to a roommate? In my opinion, that's the only way it would be affordable to live here on that salary. My husband and I paid $1600/month for a 2 bedroom apartment in Alexandria, directly on a bus line. If you shared that with a roommate, it'd fit your $800 budget. (Utilities were extra)

Old 10-18-2010, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
There is no metro to Reston. There are buses that run, but you won't be able to take the subway.

Would you be open to a roommate? In my opinion, that's the only way it would be affordable to live here on that salary. My husband and I paid $1600/month for a 2 bedroom apartment in Alexandria, directly on a bus line. If you shared that with a roommate, it'd fit your $800 budget. (Utilities were extra)

I'm open to roommate, the only worry is How to choose the best one. I've seen classified, but I do not know if I should trust them???!!!

Old 10-18-2010, 11:54 AM

4,437 posts, read 8,122,653 times
Not sure if you can still negotiate the job offer, but check out Salary.com - Average Salary Information, Job Search, Education Opportunities and Career Advice to see if the offer is inline.

Old 10-18-2010, 11:58 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,941,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
Not sure if you can still negotiate the job offer, but check out Salary.com - Average Salary Information, Job Search, Education Opportunities and Career Advice to see if the offer is inline.
Pretty impossible with a public school district. They have salary schedules, and all first year teachers with bachelors degrees make the same amount. Private schools might allow you to negotiate a little more, but it's not like the corporate world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelek_29 View Post
I'm open to roommate, the only worry is How to choose the best one. I've seen classified, but I do not know if I should trust them???!!!
It's luck of the draw. I've emailed back and forth, met up in person, and gone with my gut. There is no guarantee. You may be able to find a short term lease under the "temporary" section on craigslist. Then, if you like the roommate you could renew. If you didn't, it'd only be a few months until you could move.

Old 10-18-2010, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
Pretty impossible with a public school district. They have salary schedules, and all first year teachers with bachelors degrees make the same amount. Private schools might allow you to negotiate a little more, but it's not like the corporate world.

It's luck of the draw. I've emailed back and forth, met up in person, and gone with my gut. There is no guarantee. You may be able to find a short term lease under the "temporary" section on craigslist. Then, if you like the roommate you could renew. If you didn't, it'd only be a few months until you could move.

Thanks for your advice!!!

Old 10-18-2010, 02:54 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,087,071 times
I think your best option would be to room with someone. I have a friend who is in her 2d yr of teaching (early childhood) and she shares a house with 2 other professional young people.

You didn't mention specific schools. Depending where the school is located, you might be able to find a place within walking distance to the school.

Old 10-18-2010, 03:58 PM

216 posts, read 632,752 times
Another option is potentially finding someone who is renting out a basement apartment in their house. My mom is currently looking for a tenant for her basement near Tysons Corner (private entry, with its own kitchen). Let me know if you are interested.

Old 10-19-2010, 11:56 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
I'm surprised about the salary. $30K seems to be extremely low for a teacher's salary in this area. Would you working in a public or private school?

Having learned a bit from my lady who teaches in Fairfax County Public Schools, around $40K would seem to be reasonable for, say, someone fresh out of college with a bachelor's degree to expect. You would still benefit from one roommate on that, but at least you won't need three or four of them. An apparently bilingual person such as yourself could command even more of a premium as there are a lot of Spanish-speaking kids here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia