Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 04:33 PM

5 posts, read 6,879 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I have grown up here all my life. I was around during the 80s when it seemed like well over half of us around were from Virginia, especially in areas like down in old Marumsco Acres (huge shout out to anyone here from my hood).

As Northern Virginia has become more and more people not from the state, especially people from New York, Boston, Chicago, Buffalo, Cincinatti, Pittsburgh, and so on, its becoming more and more obvious how different those who are born here, especially in the 70s and even before the 70s, are from the transplants.

I know you still see us around. Driving 90s Chrysler minivans with faded NASCAR stickers and 2001 Ford F-150s, wondering how the thing passed inspection. When you HAVE to stop in the Wal-Mart to buy your school supplies, you wonder where all of these people came from, because you never see any people like THAT in your neighbourhood.

Yeah, a lot of us think you guys are kind of elitist, even if a little pretentious. You guys have masters degrees, some of you have more than one masters degree, and we, for the large part, never went to college. We see you in your nice clothes and Mercedes, Tesla, and Toyota Prius cars.

We aren't sure what you guys do on Friday and Saturday nights, and we know we couldn't afford to do that, but you can be sure to find us in our run down ramblers and trailer homes with the paint peeling off, watching old wrestling videos and Only In America with Larry the Cable Guy.

We've NEVER had anything to do with Washington DC except for school field trips, and you guys seem to LIVE there. When people ask you where you are from, in fact, you often answer "DC." We would never do that.

The sad thing is, many of us old locals are being priced out of the area, especially those of us who were never homeowners to begin with. Many are escaping to Fredricksburg, but I know even more who are running way further south, into the Carolinas, and out west to West Virginia.

I guess I am posting this to gauge what you transplant "DMV" people think of us yokels? I am not posting this to stir up any tension, but it is clear that there has been a clash of two cultures in Northern Virginia for some time now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2018, 04:46 PM

9,900 posts, read 14,203,544 times
I have zero issue with people who worn born and raised in NoVA. I am very good friends with a few and know 20+ more people. They all seem to be just like me; normal people just living their lives. I work with some and live in the same neighborhoods as others. I really see no difference.

What I do have a problem with are so-called nativists, who have huge chips on their shoulders regarding outsiders and take umbrage to any change or evolution; regardless of where they were born. But I normally only find those a-holes out here in cyber-land.

Old 07-17-2018, 05:24 PM

12,906 posts, read 15,705,490 times
Okay, I'm trying to take your post seriously.

I was actually born in DC back in the 1960s, family moved me out to southern Maryland, and I much later moved into Woodbridge. I am a native of this area. Maybe not NoVA but very similar. I guess I just never think of people in these terms and the "us" and the "them." I don't think this is a NoVA versus transplant thing. It's a class issue. Basically, what you describe is a person who has never gone past high school (if that) for education, somehow managed to stay in a moderate wage job, and then sound bitter about it.

I have plenty of friends who are native NoVANs, born in Woodbridge and south of that and don't fit your description.

I guess I don't see a class of cultures nor think ANYTHING of someone driving a Ford F-150 or shopping in Wal-Mart. But you do.

Old 07-17-2018, 05:27 PM

20,237 posts, read 9,152,864 times
Parents had a home and property in Nova they bought for 30K in 1958. I sold it in 2007 when they passed away for seven figures. These "outsiders" are ok by me.

Old 07-17-2018, 06:15 PM

[url]http://ourredneckpast.blogspot.com/[/url] -
Lost fragments from NOVA's past

A lot of what used to be here, before all of this yuppieism.

I grew up with people wearing Def Leppard t-shirts and missing teeth. I went to tractor pulls. The guy next door shot his cousin in the face for molesting his daughter. Another guy pulled a switchblade right after school ended in broad daylight and chased a man when he caught the guy a few doors down with his wife. The guy two doors down from me and his father had been in and out of prison more times than I could count. I remember the Fates Assembly motorcycle gang having several cookouts in Veterans Park.

Things used to be way different here, trust me. A totally different breed of people.

Then there's been the immigrant influx in 22191 that rose rapidly during the 2000s. Thats another issue all together. 90% of the type of people I just mentioned are gone now. Moved to Fredricksburg, south of that, NC, SC, WV, some even TN. A few of us are still left around, though.

Its not that we have moderate paying jobs. The ones who are left behind owned their houses, or just didn't sell when the property values went up.

Old 07-17-2018, 06:39 PM

2,262 posts, read 2,415,243 times
Quote:
When you HAVE to stop in the Wal-Mart to buy your school supplies, you wonder where all of these people came from, because you never see any people like THAT in your neighbourhood.
Honestly no. I literally avoid Wal-Mart, it's truly awful.

I can't take a lot of what you're saying seriously but I think the good thing about NoVa is everyone is welcomed here. The paradox is sadly people are getting priced out but I think that's one of the things a lot of people like about this area, it's inclusive in every sense.

Old 07-17-2018, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
Honestly no. I literally avoid Wal-Mart, it's truly awful.

I can't take a lot of what you're saying seriously but I think the good thing about NoVa is everyone is welcomed here. The paradox is sadly people are getting priced out but I think that's one of the things a lot of people like about this area, it's inclusive in every sense.
What turns you off to Wal-mart? I love it, its where I buy my diecast cars and its an affordable place to shop.

I'm leaving too, actually. I just can't afford to live here anymore.

Old 07-17-2018, 06:55 PM

2,262 posts, read 2,415,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22191Redneck View Post
What turns you off to Wal-mart? I love it, its where I buy my diecast cars and its an affordable place to shop.

I'm leaving too, actually. I just can't afford to live here anymore.
There's always people everywhere, babies crying, etc. But not all of them are bad, the one in Tysons is probably one of the best. It had a Target vibe to it.

You live in 22191? If you own, you should wait for them to finish "gentrifying" Route 1 and take the $$$$ once (if) the property values go up.

Old 07-17-2018, 07:06 PM

9,900 posts, read 14,203,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22191Redneck View Post

I grew up with people wearing Def Leppard t-shirts and missing teeth. I went to tractor pulls. The guy next door shot his cousin in the face for molesting his daughter. Another guy pulled a switchblade right after school ended in broad daylight and chased a man when he caught the guy a few doors down with his wife. The guy two doors down from me and his father had been in and out of prison more times than I could count.
Oh, so I see...you look upon violence and criminality as something to be revered. Glad I haven't met you or your low-life cohorts.....

But I do still have a Def Leppard t-shirt from the early days.....although, I do have to say I do have all of my teeth. You said you were born in the 70s; so was I. Did you never receive fluoride treatments? How have people lost their teeth?

Old 07-17-2018, 09:25 PM

2,737 posts, read 5,468,473 times
I didn’t know that people born in NOVA spelled “neighborhood” with a “u.”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia