Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 10:50 AM

18,717 posts, read 30,975,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
Yup I know a few people who have moved here from FL because they couldn't find well paying jobs there. Other than missing the beaches and nice weather, they're happy to be here.
Funny you should say that, I've been seeing the same thing. For awhile it seemed like everyone was moving here from California. Now that seems to have slowed down but I'm meeting a lot of new people moving here from Florida and Austin.

By the way, wherever you decide to live welcome to Nova.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2010, 12:27 PM

5 posts, read 4,670 times
Thanks for all the info, folks: I really appreciate it.

Old 10-30-2010, 04:37 PM

Thanks for the photo tours, normie: they're great.

Old 10-31-2010, 12:52 PM

32,606 posts, read 77,325,549 times
As a Restonian myself I, too, would recommend living in Reston if you're going to be working here. As others have already said the traffic congestion here is immense, and while transit options aren't horrible they are sub-par (and underfunded) for the sheer size of the area. For some perspective I commute from Reston, near Lake Fairfax, to the Tysons Corner neighborhood (if you can call it a "neighborhood") of McLean, and that 7-mile commute can take me up to an hour each way at times in stop-and-go traffic that is aggravated by non-synchronized traffic signals. The only transit option is via bus, and there's no advantage to taking it when it follows that same route and sits in the same gridlock. You can also take the Toll Road (Route 267), but at rush-hour it, too, is a bear unless you drive a hybrid or carpool and can take the HOV lanes. JFromReston carpools and zooms along the Toll Road, but for someone like me who lives right near Route 7, who doesn't know of anyone who works near me in Tysons on a similar schedule, and who can't afford a hybrid (or the constant tolls) that's not the best of options. Reston is a community designed around the automobile with a lot of very wide roads, but there are some wooded trails that are great for walking or biking between some desinations.

Reston hasn't been great for me as a non-affluent young gay single early-20-something, but it's an AMAZING place for families. Trust me on that one. Nearly every religious denomination has a strong presence here (Jewish, Unitarian Universalist, Scientologist, Lutheran, Roman Catholic, Episcopalian, Muslim, etc.) Parks/open space are plentiful; one thing I WILL miss about Reston is the VERY extensive tree canopy. We're the largest DC suburb outside the Beltway, yet with just how dense the foliage is there is TONS of wildlife (deer are common in my neighborhood near Lake Fairfax). Denton56 and others claim the schools are horrible, but bear in mind even the worst schools in Fairfax County are typically "average" by most American standards; the people here have just become so spoiled that they lose sight of what a "bad" school REALLY looks like.

Reston is split into three sections that each have smaller subsections. South Reston is everything south of the Dulles Toll Road (Route 267) down to the borders of Vienna, Oakton, and Fairfax. South Reston has several lakes, some of the best trails in the community (in my opinion), and a great neighborhood shopping center (South Lakes), which has a Safeway grocery store, Starbuck's, and various restaurants and other conveniences. Students here attend South Lakes High School, which has mixed reviews. I believe South Reston is the most diverse part of our community. The Reston National Golf Course is also here. Between 267 and Baron Cameron Avenue (Route 606) is Central Reston, which includes Reston Town Center, Lake Anne, The Uplands, and the areas around Hidden Creek Country Club. There are very few single-family detached homes here (save for the Ring Road neighborhood here in The Uplands); most live in garden-styled apartment complexes or townhome/condo clusters, most of which were built in the 1970s. Reston Town Center is our fake yet friendly downtown that hosts all sorts of great annual family-friendly events, has a seasonal outdoor skating rink that doubles as a concert/events venue in the warmer months, a movie theater, restaurants, and stores (mostly upscale). The adjacent Spectrum Center has big-box chains like Best Buy, Barnes & Noble, Staples, Harris Teeter, PetSmart, etc. Lake Anne is Reston's FIRST neighborhood, built in the mid-1960s. There are plans to overhaul it, as right now it sort of has a creepy "nursing home" vibe to it as it hasn't aged as well as it could have. Nevertheless it's a great place to kayak (just $6/hr. for a rental!), and the weekly farmers' markets here on Saturday mornings are excellent. North Reston is everything north of Baron Cameron Avenue (Route 606) yet south of Route 7 (north of Route 7 is Great Falls) and is home to Northpoint Village Center, which I personally find to be the MOST "useful" village center in Reston, as it contains nearly every business I like or need. North Reston seems to be the least diverse part of Reston and is mostly Caucasian or Asian-American with fewer Latinos or African-Americans than the other parts of Reston.

Reston is really a good choice for you, and I'd be happy to recommend it. I won't "sugar-coat" its flaws the way some of the "Reston homers" on this sub-forum will; however, all of my axes to grind are because it's a place perfect for a family like yours while simultaneously NOT being ideal for someone of my demographic. There's not even a single night club here to give you a sense of how "Stepford"-like it is (even adjacent Herndon, which has a fraction of our population of 65,000, has more nightlife and draws in many of we younger Restonians; they even have a gay bar and a dive bar). Reston is family-oriented, replete with recreational opportunities, generally aesthetically-appealing (I hate the architectural styles, but that's a personal preference), has a lot of civic-minded people, etc. It also has a "crunchy" vibe, as I've only ever met one Republican here (who no longer lives here). There is pretty much every grocery option here but a Wegman's (I'd gladly trade the international market in Tall Oaks for one!)

Old 10-31-2010, 07:50 PM

1,449 posts, read 3,161,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RestonRunner86 View Post
It also has a "crunchy" vibe, as I've only ever met one Republican here (who no longer lives here). There is pretty much every grocery option here but a Wegman's (I'd gladly trade the international market in Tall Oaks for one!)
Oh, I've met plenty of Republicans here - they do exist! I don't happen to be one, but just saying they are around.

And yes, I wish for a Wegman's, as well. It seems the perfect demographic area for one, but I kind of think we don't have any land masses available big enough for that. I frequent Giant and Trader Joe's for the most part. My hubby drives past the Wegman's to get to work out in Ashburn, but the 15-20 minute drive just isn't worth it to us. Shoot, I'm happy to get some of my grocery items at Target! All I know is Whole Foods doesn't hold a candle to Wegmans and is WAY overpriced, too.

Old 10-31-2010, 08:43 PM

4,385 posts, read 8,063,419 times
VA just elected a Republican Governor, so there is at least a one - lol

Old 10-31-2010, 10:43 PM

Thanks for the additional replies, folks, especially RestonRunner86's detailed post: I'm feeling better after looking at the rental market.

Seriously, we're looking forward to living and working in NoVa and especially Reston.

Old 11-02-2010, 09:12 AM

257 posts, read 563,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RestonRunner86 View Post
Reston is really a good choice for you, and I'd be happy to recommend it. I won't "sugar-coat" its flaws the way some of the "Reston homers" on this sub-forum will; however, all of my axes to grind are because it's a place perfect for a family like yours while simultaneously NOT being ideal for someone of my demographic. There's not even a single night club here to give you a sense of how "Stepford"-like it is (even adjacent Herndon, which has a fraction of our population of 65,000, has more nightlife and draws in many of we younger Restonians; they even have a gay bar and a dive bar).
The whole nightlife/chain restaurant thing is what drives me nuts about Reston. When I chose to live where I do, I did so because I thought it would be nice to live within walking distance of places to eat and drink. But honestly, my wife and I rarely (never?) go out there. $10 for a mixed drink at Jacksons? No thanks. I've come to realize that local mom-and-pop joints are more my thing.

Old 11-02-2010, 10:44 AM

947 posts, read 1,394,115 times
RR86: Very good, very balanced post -- congrats. I think you neatly summed up Reston very well for anyone thinking of moving here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia