Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 10:51 AM

7 posts, read 30,800 times

Advertisements

We have lived and worked in Herndon for the past few years, and are now ready to buy in the $425k range.

Townhomes will be a last resort because they have all of the disadvantages of renting (parking woes, noise, lots of stairs, no garden or yard, ugly views) for much more money.

We HATE long commutes. South Riding is out because of the hideous traffic getting in and out of that neighborhood and traveling up Rt. 28. We used to live in Chantilly, and it took 30-45 minutes to travel the six miles to our jobs in Herndon. We work 70 hours+ a week and refuse to spend any more time commuting than is absolutely necessary -- no more than 20 minutes.

We don't have children (and will likely homeschool or private school when we do) so schools are only a concern for resale value.

We've found a few 2-car garage, single family homes in good condition backing to a common area in Herndon (Hiddenbrook) and Sterling (Sugarland)....usually with the original owners.

Which will offer greater safety and better resale value: Northern Herndon, or Sterling north of Rt. 7?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2007, 11:18 AM

1,123 posts, read 5,332,190 times
Lived in NoVa for 40 years. If the houses are priced about the same then they should be very different!

Hearndon is closer in than Sterling and would attract more future buyers because of commuting issues.

Sterling Point I believe is older and was one of the original Sterling subdivisions - could be wrong here, but I am pretty sure that is where friends of ours lived in 1985 and it was old then. There are lots of businesses out in that area now so future homebuyers would like being close. It isn't as isolated as it was 15 years ago.

It sounds as if you plan to purchase a home with the intention of selling in the short term, vs living there forever. So you definitely want to look at resale values in those neighborhoods, crime (which might be higher in either of those areas), schools. When you invest in real estate (which is what it sounds like) - location, location, location is the key.

Good luck! Housing prices and taxes are the reason I left town. It is just sick what you have to pay to buy a house there now. I can buy a new beautiful SFH for that price in Hampton Roads.

Old 07-09-2007, 11:20 AM

1,123 posts, read 5,332,190 times
Darn - sorry. I reread your post and you said Sugarland - not Sterling Point. But I still think they are older homes on the other side of Rt 7.
Sorry

Old 07-09-2007, 11:39 AM

Thanks for the response. The homes in Sugarland/Sterling and Hiddenbrook/Reston are actually very similar -- 1970s contemporaries.

We are not investors, but do consider this a starter home that we will grow out of in 5 or so years.

Old 07-09-2007, 03:06 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,471,463 times
If you like the two houses about equally, I would say go with Herndon in a heartbeat because of the Silver Line. Phase-2 won't be done within your 5-year timeframe, but Phase-1 will be either completed or close enough to completion to have a very significant impact on resale value, and market anticipation of Phase-2 will help you out by then as well.

Old 07-09-2007, 03:22 PM

Default I'm Not Impressed With The Silver Line

You may be right, but I have a hard time imagining 1. the metro expansion proceeding on schedule and 2. the silver line being attractive for Herndon residents, most of whom work in the Dulles Technology Corridor -- not downtown.

I avoid taking the Metro whenever possible. Driving is much, much faster and I can stay out of bad weather. Really, I will be surprised if people are excited about riding a smelly metro train for 90+ minutes as it makes it way through 16 VA stations.

Old 07-09-2007, 03:50 PM

1,261 posts, read 6,104,940 times
Hi: For what it's worth, I just wanted to share that Hiddenbrook is a very nice, safe community. We rented a home there temporarily while relocating and I found the neighbors to be very nice. Good luck.

Old 07-09-2007, 03:59 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,471,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aea136 View Post
You may be right, but I have a hard time imagining 1. the metro expansion proceeding on schedule and 2. the silver line being attractive for Herndon residents, most of whom work in the Dulles Technology Corridor -- not downtown.
Construction schedules are always tough to keep to, but even with some Phase-1 slippage, the opening of Silver Line service would be within a 5-6 year window. Herndon residents may work predominantly in the Corridor today, but there are tons of District-based people who will jump at the chance to grab a house in Herndon once there is train service available.

Quote:
I avoid taking the Metro whenever possible. Driving is much, much faster and I can stay out of bad weather.
Well, the weather is the weather, but the faster thing will depend rather heavily on when and where you are going. My own PM rush-hour commute via Metro for instance is less than half the time of driving, as well as much less than half the cost, and less than one-tenth the aggravation.

Quote:
Really, I will be surprised if people are excited about riding a smelly metro train for 90+ minutes as it makes it way through 16 VA stations.
Smelly? This ain't Chicago. And Wiehle Avenue to Farragut West will be about 45 minutes. Service every 7 minutes. When they build it, people will come, Ray. People most definitely will come...

Old 07-10-2007, 08:10 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,886,424 times
Quote:
And Wiehle Avenue to Farragut West will be about 45 minutes. Service every 7 minutes. When they build it, people will come, Ray. People most definitely will come...
In Droves!

Herndon will be the better investment. Sterling north of 7 is fine and safe. Sterling park is the less desirable part of town.

Old 07-10-2007, 08:29 AM

3,306 posts, read 8,559,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5stones View Post
In Droves!

Herndon will be the better investment. Sterling north of 7 is fine and safe. Sterling park is the less desirable part of town.
Sugarland run and Sterling park are about the same. Most of Sterling North of rt. 7 is fine, except parts of Sugarland run. Not to say that you won't like the area, but Sugarland has more than it's fair share of local gang, drug problems, then other parts of Countryside. Again this is no Ghetto compared to most places, but for Sterling, Surgarland run and Sterling park are considered more "ghetto" then other parts of Sterling.

I lived in what was considered a "ghetto" part of Leesburg and never had any problems, so it's sometimes more percieved than reality, but it's always best to be aware what you might be getting yourself into when you buy a home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia