Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 12:32 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,086,150 times

Advertisements

Finally!!! They've given authorization and ability to work for the government from home.

The House of Representatives adopted the Telework Enhancement Act of 2010, a bill that improves and expands teleworking in federal agencies. Among other things, it requires them to establish a policy under which eligible government employees are approved to telecommute. Can you believe we had to wait so long for this?

I've been teleworking for about half my working hours for two years now. It's made a definite difference in my life. Not having to commute is a wonderful thing.

Local federal workers get early holiday gift; Telework bill adopted | LoudounTimes.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2010, 02:22 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,660,053 times
I wonder how our agency will implement. I need a government asset to work from home successfully. I can only access part of my files using my home computer.

Old 11-23-2010, 03:00 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,253,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I wonder how our agency will implement. I need a government asset to work from home successfully. I can only access part of my files using my home computer.
Wouldn't the government give you a laptop you can use from anywhere and then you would just VPN in to your agency's network?

Old 11-23-2010, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Wouldn't the government give you a laptop you can use from anywhere and then you would just VPN in to your agency's network?
No.

We have a special network at our agency and it requires an asset that is "certifed" with this network. The only way to get one is to be issued one. They do give them out for people on travel but very limited supply and a 4 day advance notice.

Our agency will have to provide each employee with a laptop asset, to be used at their desk, and then taken home for telework purposes. That's the only way to be able to do 100% of your job. Otherwise, when I work it home it's like having one arm tied behind my back.

Old 11-23-2010, 04:09 PM

Quote:
No.

We have a special network at our agency and it requires an asset that is "certifed" with this network. The only way to get one is to be issued one. They do give them out for people on travel but very limited supply and a 4 day advance notice.

Our agency will have to provide each employee with a laptop asset, to be used at their desk, and then taken home for telework purposes. That's the only way to be able to do 100% of your job. Otherwise, when I work it home it's like having one arm tied behind my back.
I believe that's what I said. To participate, your agency would issue you an encrypted laptop with an activeidentity key (plugs into the side of the machine) which would then permit you to access the agency network (VPN). The laptop would be used if you're at home, on travel, or in an office (but at the office you likely wouldn't need the key). That's how it's done in most private companies and many other government agencies with teleworkers or just to enable people to work from home periodically. They do generally prohibit use of your own computer to do such work.

Doesn't sound like you have a technical barrier so much as a management barrier if they're not willing to do it. If they're doing it for people on travel, then there's no reason it can't be done for you. However, not all positions are suitable for telework so not everyone would necessarily need the laptop setup.

Old 11-23-2010, 04:25 PM

Quote:
I believe that's what I said. To participate, your agency would issue you an encrypted laptop with an activeidentity key (plugs into the side of the machine) which would then permit you to access the agency network (VPN). The laptop would be used if you're at home, on travel, or in an office (but at the office you likely wouldn't need the key). That's how it's done in most private companies and many other government agencies with teleworkers or just to enable people to work from home periodically. They do generally prohibit use of your own computer to do such work.

Doesn't sound like you have a technical barrier so much as a management barrier if they're not willing to do it. If they're doing it for people on travel, then there's no reason it can't be done for you. However, not all positions are suitable for telework so not everyone would necessarily need the laptop setup.
Gotcha!

The issue is that they don't have the budget, at this point, to purchase a laptop for everyone. When I first got to the job, we all had laptops but they were horrible. They overheated all the time, hard drives crashed all the time, awful. We then had a tech refresh and they had SUCH a bad time with the laptops that 90% of employees were given desktops with one employee in each code maybe getting a laptop. Turns out those laptops seem to function much better and now everyone was wishing they had one. I think on the next tech refresh, we will probably move back to laptops. Unfortunately, it will be at least 3 more years.

Old 11-23-2010, 07:16 PM

Quote:
The issue is that they don't have the budget, at this point, to purchase a laptop for everyone.
According to the article the bill apparently provides funding for that. I can't imagine anyone not using a laptop nowadays. Can you even buy a desktop anymore?

Old 11-23-2010, 09:59 PM

288 posts, read 734,085 times
The facility where I used to work did not look fondly upon telecommuting. Telecommuting was awarded as a privilege to a select very few government employees, never ever for a contractor. My own opinion is that they should make it mandatory, at least for a few days a week to start with. Think of it. Traffic would ease, nerves would defray, fewer people would get sick, and the air would sure smell better. How productive can it be for all workers to spend half their lives _trying_ to get to work, hating every second of it. By the time they finally do get there they are stressed and tired. On a normal day it's bad enough, but on days of wintry mixes why risk an accident and then all the time and money it will take afterward to straighten it out? There would be no further need for a liberal leave policy and there would be fewer days of missed work.

I just never understood why the workplace is so recalcitrant when it comes to telecommuting. I always saw it as a control thing. Most of us have telephones, internet connections, and our own computers that we could access our work with. Imagine what it would be like to not get old in a cubicle not having to breathe recycled stagnant air all day, with no micromanager hovering around. I think people would get a lot more work done and maybe even enjoy it. As for security, nearly everyone who does any work with the government goes through all kinds of background investigations and is required to get some kind of clearance. This makes people responsible and accountable for their work and files (supposedly). For that matter I don't see why someone can't be employed even as a contractor and do their work from another city or state. Think of it, you want or need to move, take your job with you. Unemployment rates could go down. Wouldn't it be better to spread government employees and contractors out than to have everyone concentrated in a couple of places? In the event of some kind of disaster that way the whole place wouldn't be taken out, and nobody would have to "shelter in place". So why can't it be made to work?

Old 11-24-2010, 01:32 AM

^^ What she said.

Old 11-24-2010, 03:04 AM

Quote:
According to the article the bill apparently provides funding for that. I can't imagine anyone not using a laptop nowadays. Can you even buy a desktop anymore?

Yes you can!! I bought both a laptop and a desktop over the summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia