Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 02:33 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,946,617 times

Advertisements

Holy Canoli!

I was just at Tyson's Mall and was amazed that:
1) I easily found a parking space! That never happens at this time of year. Never before, anyway.
2) I saw many more people at Dulles Town Center earlier today. Now that's a first.

To be fair, it wasn't a ghost town. There were a good number of people there--but not the usual crowd. Tyson's was always the place to go if you wanted to enjoy the hustle and bustle of holiday crowds. Today? Not so much.

What do you think? Did I just hit it at a weird time or are the crowds hitting the other malls due to fear of driving to Tyson's?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2010, 02:37 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,446,560 times
Normie! If only we knew what each other looked like, we could have had coffee! I also was at Tysons Corner then Dulles Town Center today! LOL!

We also had luck with parking and finding some good deals.

Old 11-27-2010, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
Normie! If only we knew what each other looked like, we could have had coffee! I also was at Tysons Corner then Dulles Town Center today! LOL!

We also had luck with parking and finding some good deals.
Oh, that would have been fun! We hit DTC first, then went to Tysons. Did you see the brand new hat store at DTC? We found a really well made fedora for my husband for only $38. I couldn't believe it! The owner of the store was there today, so I had to say "my hat is off to you" for opening an independent business like that in the middle of a recession. He appreciated my enthusiasm (but maybe not the pun... )

We also found some interesting artwork at the Albuquerque Shop. This was the first time I had actually wandered into it. When it first opened I thought it would close in a month or two. I mean, who buys SW art in Virginia? Apparently a lot of people, since it's still in business. Anyway, I popped in there today and liked what I saw so I bought some myself.

I didn't end up buying anything at Tyson's. My favorite store there, the puzzle store, closed last year. Other than that, I find I like to window shop there but they dont seem to have things I want to buy. And some of those vendors in the middle of the walking area are a little too aggressive for me.

Old 11-27-2010, 02:57 PM

214 posts, read 487,996 times
I HATE the annoying cart-people at Tysons. There is nothing worse than dragging two small children through the mall and getting accosted every 5 minutes. "Excuse me, can I just ask you one question?" "Excuse me, do you want nicer hair?" "Excuse me, you really need this lotion." UGH!

Old 11-27-2010, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYmama2dallas View Post
I HATE the annoying cart-people at Tysons. There is nothing worse than dragging two small children through the mall and getting accosted every 5 minutes. "Excuse me, can I just ask you one question?" "Excuse me, do you want nicer hair?" "Excuse me, you really need this lotion." UGH!
I wonder if the mall regulates how much they're allowed to accost people. Because the ones at Tyson's do seem much more aggressive than the cart-people at other malls.

Old 11-27-2010, 03:05 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,446,560 times
I'll agree about the cart people -- they are rather annoying -- but it is the American entrepenurial spirit at work so I'll cut them some slack!

We did Tyson's first, then briefly stopped at Dulles Town Center on the way home. Daughter is approaching college graduation so we were in search of "business suits". Found a couple great deals at Lord & Taylor!

Old 11-27-2010, 07:59 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,090,101 times
I read that many stores at Tysons opened at midnight on Black Friday, whereas a smaller number of Dulles Town Center stores opened at 4:00 and 5:00 AM, with most opening at 6:00 AM. Perhaps a lot of the hard-core shoppers had already made their way to Tysons by the time you arrived this weekend. Personally, I think December 23rd is a good date to start Christmas shopping.

But I think it's great if people in Loudoun and Western Fairfax save the gas money and shop at DTC instead. I've never been there, except to go to Benihana's. The latter was OK to try once, but we probably won't return. For the amount we spent, we could have had a better meal in a quieter atmosphere at Neisha Thai at Tysons, or the Lebanese Taverna or Maggiano's at the Tysons Galleria.

Last edited by JD984; 11-27-2010 at 08:32 PM..

Old 11-28-2010, 07:18 AM

170 posts, read 583,323 times
still too early, the crowd will show up, don't worry.

Old 11-28-2010, 07:33 AM

219 posts, read 472,270 times
We were at DTC yesterday too and were taken aback by the crowds. Most crowded we have seen it. DTC is our destination for the carousel, the train and kid haircuts.

Where is the hat store & does it have a good selection for women?

Old 11-28-2010, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perries View Post

Where is the hat store & does it have a good selection for women?
To the best of my recollection, it's near the toy store and Kinkade paintings. About halfway down the hall that leads to Macy's.

We were focusing on the independent stores Saturday because it was Small Business Saturday. That turned out to be an interesting way to look at a mall. I was surprised to see how many independent businesses there were at DTC. When you go to a mall you think everything there will be a chain (and a lot are). But we found quite a few local businesses, too.

We were looking for men's hats but as I recall they had quite a few hats for women, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia