Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 03:15 PM

389 posts, read 1,224,434 times

Advertisements

We have family coming in town. I'm looking for fun Christmas things to do on Christmas Eve morning/early afternoon in D.C.and NOVA. Taking the metro would be a plus, but it isn't necessary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2010, 03:33 PM

43 posts, read 82,181 times
Seeing the Christmas trees outside at the White House is always a real Washington treat for the holidays. They won't be lit up during the day probably, but you can enjoy all the decorations that they'll have out. If anyone is up for ice skating, you can go to the National Gallery of Art's Sculpture Garden for ice skating. And I also love visiting the Botanical Gardens in front of the Capitol building. They have special displays and a model train just for Christmas. If the family likes trains, Union Station has a large model train display from Norway, plus Union Station usually looks nice this time of year.

Old 12-05-2010, 04:12 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,826,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLgirl367 View Post
We have family coming in town. I'm looking for fun Christmas things to do on Christmas Eve morning/early afternoon in D.C.and NOVA. Taking the metro would be a plus, but it isn't necessary.
What part of Nova are you in?

Old 12-05-2010, 04:16 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,826,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjw703 View Post
Seeing the Christmas trees outside at the White House is always a real Washington treat for the holidays. They won't be lit up during the day probably, but you can enjoy all the decorations that they'll have out. If anyone is up for ice skating, you can go to the National Gallery of Art's Sculpture Garden for ice skating. And I also love visiting the Botanical Gardens in front of the Capitol building. They have special displays and a model train just for Christmas. If the family likes trains, Union Station has a large model train display from Norway, plus Union Station usually looks nice this time of year.
The Botanical Gardens would be where I'd head. (Not sure how kids would feel about it, though.) It's cheerful and Christmassy, and it's also warm! On a cold day, sitting among the tropical plants and smelling the orchids is a treat.

If you need to duck out of the weather, you can walk from the Capitol Building to the Library of Congress. Both of those places are great to take visitors to. The Library of Congress is a gorgeous building with a lot of interesting art. Probably more interesting for adults than kids.

If the kids like to run and you're anywhere near Dulles I would consider the Dulles Air & Space Museum. It's a great museum, and it also has some nice long ramps that kids can run on.

Old 12-05-2010, 05:19 PM

i'm in stafford. thanks for the suggestions so far. we did the botanical gardens 2 years ago, and it is an option for this year as well. i did not know about the model trains at union station. the kids are a bit young for the library of congress, etc...

the dulles air and space is something we've wanted to do, but the drive to dulles from stafford is so....................blah......it'd be nice if there was an outer expressway that connected 95 and 66

please keep the suggestions coming....we've also thought about mt. vernon, but don't know if the kids would get bored w/ that.........

Old 12-05-2010, 07:35 PM

384 posts, read 1,024,324 times
I would recommend walking/driving around Old Town Alexandria. People go all out decorating their homes. Then drive up GW parkway, park at Gravelly Point, and look at the airplanes taking off.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:36 AM

303 posts, read 588,454 times
Well this is at the National Harbor, MD but I understand its suppossed to be pretty awesome. I'm sure the kids would love it (adults too!). Lots of other stuff to see and do there also.

ICE! Experence | Christmas on the Potomac at Gaylord National

Main website for National Harbor

http://www.nationalharbor.com/consumer/home.htm

Last edited by VAFan; 12-06-2010 at 08:40 AM.. Reason: Adding link

Old 12-06-2010, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAFan View Post
Well this is at the National Harbor, MD but I understand its suppossed to be pretty awesome. I'm sure the kids would love it (adults too!). Lots of other stuff to see and do there also.

ICE! Experence | Christmas on the Potomac at Gaylord National

Main website for National Harbor

National Harbor
we are actually doing that this week!!!!

Old 12-06-2010, 10:38 AM

1,266 posts, read 5,593,294 times
We went to ICE a couple of weeks ago. It was OK. The line is AWFUL! Be prepared for it. We thought to ourselves we would never do this again unless we were the first ones there for the day and yes we had tickets in advance! I think my kid had more fun ice skating than he did looking the ice sculptures.

Old 12-06-2010, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEATHER72 View Post
We went to ICE a couple of weeks ago. It was OK. The line is AWFUL! Be prepared for it. We thought to ourselves we would never do this again unless we were the first ones there for the day and yes we had tickets in advance! I think my kid had more fun ice skating than he did looking the ice sculptures.
did you go on the weekend?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia