Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 10:38 PM

33 posts, read 109,179 times

Advertisements

We will be relocating to NOVA this summer (Arlington or Mclean) and I have not found a realtor that I feel comfortable with (I have only spoken with a few over the phone).

My preference would be a female with children in the public school system. I am more interested in advice regarding the public schools. We will be looking to rent or buy.

If we look at a property I want the realtor to have knowledge of the specific area (especially the schools, which elementary school my children will attend). I don't want to have to do all the leg work myself (checking with the local school boards, etc..).

Any help would be appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2010, 06:22 AM

652 posts, read 1,304,565 times
A realtor will be able to help you with what school your children would attend but, be aware, they're not allowed to comment on whether a school is "good" or "bad." It's a fair housing violation. You'll have to check that out yourself through greatschools.net and other websites.

Old 04-28-2010, 06:40 AM

982 posts, read 3,487,163 times
Realtors will be able to help determine which schools your children will attend, but we are not allowed to give opinions. We're pretty much allowed to point you in the right direction, then leave you to do what it is you're trying to avoid...doing the legwork yourself.

I can share opinions about something I've actually experienced, but If I tell you the school system is absolutely wonderful, you move your family to a particular area based on what I told you, I could get myself in a world of trouble if your experience isn't what I told you. The same goes for judging "good" vs. "bad" neighborhoods. I don't like that we have to operate that way, but since people want to sue anytime something isn't what they expect, it's something I try to avoid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane09 View Post
We will be relocating to NOVA this summer (Arlington or Mclean) and I have not found a realtor that I feel comfortable with (I have only spoken with a few over the phone).

My preference would be a female with children in the public school system. I am more interested in advice regarding the public schools. We will be looking to rent or buy.

If we look at a property I want the realtor to have knowledge of the specific area (especially the schools, which elementary school my children will attend). I don't want to have to do all the leg work myself (checking with the local school boards, etc..).

Any help would be appreciated!!

Old 04-28-2010, 08:29 AM

33 posts, read 109,179 times
Thank you!! It is frustrating that a realtor can't share their opinions, but I do understand. Thank you to all of you who have privately emailed me. I am going to contact the people you have suggested!!

Old 04-28-2010, 11:12 AM

42 posts, read 125,413 times
Hey Jane,
There really isn't a short cut to figuring out what a "good" school is.

I can tell you that I personally loved Franklin Sherman in McLean, but that was 25 years ago ;-). I also went to LongFellow Middle school. I lived in Mclean for 25 years, then moved to Arlington.

Also each parent will define a good school differently. Is it purely test scores that you care about? What about a school that cuts arts and sports to have higher scores? City Data is a great place to learn about schools as well.

Sorry we can't help you. They call it "steering".

Frank
Moderator Cut

Last edited by FindingZen; 04-28-2010 at 11:26 AM.. Reason: extra info isn't necessary with your designation

Old 04-28-2010, 03:30 PM

18 posts, read 37,798 times
Default realtor

I love our realtor. She has been incredibly patient as we try to find something to meet everyone's needs, and she answers all my panicky emails really fast. I think the rules of this forum mean I can't tell you her name on here but if you wanted to contact me directly I could let you know. I actually found her via this forum having talked to a few already. She has young kids and knows the system, although of course she can't "recommend" a school. I'm so happy we found her.

Old 01-14-2011, 09:43 PM

1 posts, read 1,419 times
Hi,

I'm also planning to move to NOVA this summer and would appreciate a great realtor recomendation.

Thanks!

Old 01-15-2011, 06:42 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,963,195 times
You need to be specific about the area, no one real estate agent can know the entire area well no matter what they say.

Old 01-17-2011, 02:50 PM

92 posts, read 233,303 times
Tatiana Busch with Re/max she helped my Husband and I buy and is currently helping us sell a house in Northern Va. She has been very helpful!

Old 01-19-2011, 11:00 AM

11 posts, read 40,059 times
I know a good realtor but it's a guy. Please inbox me if interested! Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia