U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2010, 12:25 PM

11 posts, read 43,369 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I am currently looking into buying a property in the Sterling Park, VA area. I've heard mixed reviews about the area, some saying to stay away, others saying its not as bad as people "hype" it up to be. Does anyone have any advice/information they could share about the area, or know of a website that i could go to to get stats? I'm not too familiar with the area myself.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you,
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2010, 12:43 PM

1,059 posts, read 2,823,380 times
I have lived in Sterling since 1992, not in Sterling Park but I am very familiar with the area. I have recommended Sterling Park to many buyers and will continue to do so. I do not make generalizations but will respond to specific questions if you DM me.

Old 12-13-2010, 01:17 PM

4,006 posts, read 4,427,924 times
I lived in Sterling (though not Sterling Park) for 10 years. I would buy in only certain areas these days. Do you have kids? If so I would be careful about the schools as well.

Old 12-13-2010, 02:52 PM

3,315 posts, read 9,667,669 times
I lived in Sterling (not Sterling Park) for 20+ years. Some neighborhoods are "better" than others. If you let us know roughly what neighborhood/street you are considering it would help.

Old 12-15-2010, 02:04 PM

11 posts, read 43,369 times
The name of the street is Hoga Rd.

Old 12-15-2010, 05:54 PM

9,569 posts, read 14,741,304 times
I think it really depends on what you are used to. It is definitely lower-income than other areas in Northern Virginia which is why it gets a bad rap. You see a lot of lower-end stores such as Big Lots, Goodwill, and Family Dollar. The supermarket is Bottom Dollar (low-end Food Lion) rather than Blooom (high-end Food Lion). There is what I believe to be a low-income housing aparatment complex near the shopping center (called William Watters). I think it's for the elderly.

On the other hand, there are a couple of very nice parks in Sterling Park. I particularly like the one near the community center/library since it's gated and easy to watch my children. We have gone into the library there, and it's very nice. But I must say the few times we have been there it's been pretty empty. We live in Vienna, and it's always packed in our library so I was kind of surprised and wondered if families don't push their kids to read there as much as in other places in NoVA. Of course, it could be that I just went there at non-busy times.

I do feel like I have to watch my back a bit more there and it doesn't feel as safe to me as where I live. But if it was the best I could do with the money I had, I would be okay living there. I lived in a similar community in Silver Spring.

Qualifier: I am not super familiar with Sterling Park - only around the shopping center/park/library that I mentioned. So take my opinons with a grain of salt.

Old 12-16-2010, 06:36 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,823,380 times
The older neighborhoods in Sterling Park can vary from block to block. I would advise you to go there after school is out and see if there are large numbers of teens on the street. Go on the weekends and see if neighbors are out and talk with them. Note if large numbers of cars or trucks are parked on the street, that usually means large numbers of adults living in the house. You have to check whether the homes on the street are well maintained. There is no one street in Sterling Park that is to be avoided, you will have to use your judgment. That said, there are many good houses to be had in Sterling Park and at prices that are more reasonable than other areas in Sterling.

As far as the library use goes, I think many people go to the library in Cascades, it is much larger than the one in Sterling Park. It could be that many people don't know the library is there, it is off the main road and doesn't really stand out.

Old 01-20-2011, 02:45 PM

3 posts, read 40,505 times
to jump in with a question: how is the crime around the golf club? Also, any information on Guilford ES?

Old 01-21-2011, 06:00 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,299,560 times
Assuming you didn't know this already:
Got a '4' on greatschools
60% Hispanic, 21% White, 11% Asian, 8% Black
58% eligible for free/reduced price lunches

This is the area between W Church Rd, the W&OD Trail, and S Sterling Blvd, many streets here have tree names.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia