U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Old 12-25-2010, 03:05 PM
424 posts, read 1,415,240 times
Reputation: 153


We live in a townhouse and I noticed that the gas pipes in the backyard appear to be a bit worn out (given that the house is 14 years old). The question I have is - can I call Washington Gas to take care of this? Or, is this something they won't handle given that it is in my premises?

Also, who should I call for this? What kind of contractor, in other words?

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2010, 03:47 PM
4,709 posts, read 11,977,291 times
Reputation: 3802
The only gas piping you should see outside the house are from the ground, up to the meter, and then into the house...or if the meter is inside the house...all you should see is a vent pipe outside the house. Gas is an underground utility....like your water service.

These pipes don't "wear out"....they might get rusty, but that doesn't hurt anything. I paint mine occasionally, but that's just for aesthetics.

If it's like other utilities, it's the gas company's responsibility to the meter. And from the meter and throughout the house is your responsibility. Natural Gas Contractors are usually plumbers or HVAC contractors.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2010, 03:56 PM
Location: On the Chesapeake
40,303 posts, read 52,479,357 times
Reputation: 53713
If this is in a previously rural area that just got developed there might be lines on the surface, that was the way it was done back 60 or more years ago. They didn't bury them in unpopulated areas.

As to the wearing out, they'll rust. I worked gas fields for a manufacturing company back in the 70s and we had lines on the surface then (ranging from 3 inch to 24 inch) that had been put in around 1900 when the plant was built. They were just then needing to be replaced.

You can call Washington Gas for an inspection.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:34 AM.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top