Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2010, 11:38 AM

2 posts, read 2,729 times

Advertisements

I originally posted this in the MD thread, but am reposting here based upon the recommendation of one of the replies.

My husband and I are relocating to the DC area. He will be stationed at NNMC and I'll be stationed at Andrews. We are looking for recommendations on a "half-way point" between both locations to live. He wants to metro to NNMC (total commute <1 hour) and I prefer to drive to Andrews (total commute <45 minutes).

We're looking for 3 bd/2 ba, fenced back yard is required for our dog. We don't have kids and are not concerned about school districts. We'd like to be walking distance to a metro. We prefer a more urban locale and would like to be close to restaurants, shops, etc.

We are open to living in MD, NoVA or DC as long as can find something that meets our needs. We're just not sure where to start looking. Our budget is $3,500-$4,000/month.

Any recommendations on areas to look at (or suggestions on managing our expectations) would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2010, 12:03 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,566,832 times
I feel so stupid but what is NNMC?

Old 12-27-2010, 12:08 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,900,169 times
With your budget, you should be able to find something to fit your needs. You might look at Crystal City. It's walking distance to the Pentagon City Mall & Pentagon Row center, 23rd street restaurants, and various Crystal Drive businesses. There are some really cute early 1900's homes in the neighborhoods around there. It's a ~10-20 minute walk to the metro (depending if you walk on surface streets or the underground tunnel in bad weather). You'd have a reverse commute down 395 or Rt. 1 (my commute of choice) to 495 across the bridge.

Another option would be Alexandria. A home near King Street metro should be within your budget. Again, DH could walk to the metro (it'd just be a slightly longer commute), and you'd have fairly easy access to 495. Old town is best described as "charming" and has all the amenities you'd need within a short drive.

Old 12-27-2010, 12:09 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,900,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I feel so stupid but what is NNMC?
National Naval Medical Center in Bethesda.

Old 09-25-2015, 06:49 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,844,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
National Naval Medical Center in Bethesda.
Been living in MD for 43 years and have never heard that term. I have always heard it referred to a Bethesda Hospital. Everyone knows what that is.

Old 09-25-2015, 06:56 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,844,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
With your budget, you should be able to find something to fit your needs. You might look at Crystal City. It's walking distance to the Pentagon City Mall & Pentagon Row center, 23rd street restaurants, and various Crystal Drive businesses. There are some really cute early 1900's homes in the neighborhoods around there. It's a ~10-20 minute walk to the metro (depending if you walk on surface streets or the underground tunnel in bad weather). You'd have a reverse commute down 395 or Rt. 1 (my commute of choice) to 495 across the bridge.

Another option would be Alexandria. A home near King Street metro should be within your budget. Again, DH could walk to the metro (it'd just be a slightly longer commute), and you'd have fairly easy access to 495. Old town is best described as "charming" and has all the amenities you'd need within a short drive.

Might as well look at Arlington as well. There are a lot of new condos in Clarendon and is a short Metro ride to Alexandria or Crystal City. Lots of eateries in Arlington and it is a short drive to any attractions in the DC area.
I am curious as to what kind of "urban" is desired.

Old 09-25-2015, 07:33 PM

15,395 posts, read 25,634,879 times
Other than Alexandria, I would not recommend Virginia. From Arlington, traffic would be a nightmare to Andrews. From Alexandria, it is an easy drive on 495. Alexandria means the city and the post office also uses the name for parts of Fairfax County. Rose Hill, Kingstowne (sp?) Springfield or Alexandria would all be good locations to get to Andrews. You can get on Metro nearby and head to Bethesda, but it would be long ride with a transfer to the Red Line. I would probably choose Maryland for your situation though. Silver Spring would be good. Again, the post office uses the name Silver Spring to cover a large area, but anywhere in that area might work.

Old 09-25-2015, 08:19 PM

6,512 posts, read 8,293,417 times
This thread was started nearly 5 years ago...

Old 09-26-2015, 11:12 AM

15,395 posts, read 25,634,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
This thread was started nearly 5 years ago...
I hate when that happens!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia