Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 09:50 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times

Advertisements

What's in the future for Tyson's Corner?

Seems like an interesting area, the metro is going to be going through there soon. Plus, large shopping mall, etc.

What do you foresee happening here?

Without knowing it, for whatever reason, I just imagine a large popular successful mall surrounded by parking lots, and some strip malls and chain restauraunts all around that - with a ton more parking lots for all of them. (Am I right about that part?)

In my mind, I just imagine a subway hopefully going to the center of the mall, where people will start there. For whatever reason, I imagine them locked at the mall from there, rather than being some random stop in the middle of parking lots. (But I could be wrong about that).

Then I imagine typical suburban SFH, maybe some garden style apartments, all scattered about somewhat around in whatever isn't designated for commerical along the main arteries and whatnot.

This is just my guess, and take in mind, I don't know Tysons at all. Is any of that based on reality?

So, what is the future there...I heard about many large buildings and some walkable areas and some downtown-ish like feel or plan for it. But I can't really imagine how that would all work, or if I have that right.

So, back on topic, and feel free to address any of the above as well, but what is the future of Tyson's Corner?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2011, 03:58 AM

2,499 posts, read 3,405,402 times
"There is no place I know, like the world of pure imagination." ~Willy Wonka

We drove past there on New Year's Day. Between building the new Metro line through Tysons Corner and and the expansion of the Beltway around it (from Braddock Road to the bridge at the Potomac), that area is a complete mess. Not sure what the future reality will be like for people who live and work there. I believe they recently discontinued the free shuttle bus that ran through it.

Last edited by Fern435; 01-05-2011 at 04:30 AM..

Old 01-05-2011, 06:29 AM

660 posts, read 1,705,463 times
Tysons looks different from the description you gave, sorry. That's about what it looked like in 1990, but looking at Google Maps is a pretty clear indicator that times have changed.

The Metro is going to Tysons because it has more office space than most cities' downtowns. There are some strip malls, but I'd say they are significantly outnumbered by 20 story buildings. Parking lots do abound, and the area isn't pedestrian friendly, but you're describing your typical suburban shopping mall, not your typical edge city (and Tysons is one of the kings of American edge cities). There are some expensive garden style apartments, and a few expensive high rise buildings in the area, but there aren't any SFHs within at least half a mile of the malls.

Old 01-05-2011, 06:53 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,086,150 times
Tysons is more like a downtown area. I see it becoming more and more urban. Lots and lots of tall office buildings, with some apartment buildings and condos mixed in. The strip malls that exist there will mostly make way for other tall buildings. The land there is too valuable to support strip malls, IMO.

There has been talk of a major tear down of the office buildings so that the streets could be reworked into a grid pattern. I doubt that will ever happen. Talk about a project that would be way too expensive. Even worse, can you imagine what a project like that would do to the traffic congestion??? Plus, I also don't think it's really worth the effort--to be honest I don't think it's that hard to drive on the current street pattern, especially once you've done it a few times.

Every once in awhile there's talk about Fairfax County incorporating and becoming a huge city. If that ever happened Tysons would probably become the government center. If that happened, I'd like to see some interesting architectural designs for the government buildings. Tysons could use a few intersting pieces of architecture.

Old 01-05-2011, 06:57 AM

660 posts, read 1,705,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Every once in awhile there's talk about Fairfax County incorporating and becoming a huge city. If that ever happened Tysons would probably become the government center. If that happened, I'd like to see some interesting architectural designs for the government buildings. Tysons could use a few intersting pieces of architecture.
But what about the toilet bowl building on 123?

Old 01-05-2011, 06:58 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,086,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen 81 View Post
But what about the toilet bowl building on 123?
LOL, I'll give you that one. I actually really love that building. It's a guilty pleasure, I know.

Old 01-05-2011, 07:23 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,230,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
What's in the future for Tyson's Corner?

Seems like an interesting area
I have never heard anyone express enthusiasm for Tyson's Corner, other than for shopping. But not as an area in general or as a destination (except for indoor shopping, as mentioned). I guess you mean interesting as in promising.

Although there are some semi-tall buildings,there is no sense of city or urban living at the moment. It's a car culture office park with a couple of indoor shopping malls with the usual assortment of stores you find in indoor malls. As well as car dealerships and some strip malls west of Rt 123. To go from one building to the next you get back in your car and drive. You don't do that in a true downtown.

As for the future, I assume you've seen this? Transforming Tysons Corner*- Fairfax County, Virginia

This Tysons West Street View | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/fairfaxcounty/4727681788/in/set-72157624106285751/ - broken link) and this Tysons East Street View | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/fairfaxcounty/4727037825/in/set-72157624106285751/ - broken link) look feasible for Tysons. I can't say it looks particularly interesting, but it's an improvement and better use of the land, IMO, to cluster residential units into a mixed-zoned, more dense development.

Old 01-05-2011, 07:33 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,948,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
To go from one building to the next you get back in your car and drive. You don't do that in a true downtown.
I think that's likely if you need to cross Rt. 7 to get to another building. However, I see lots of people walking from building to building along International Drive. I get physical therapy on an office building there and afterwards I frequently walk to a restaurant in the building next door or to the mall. I see other people walking on the sidewalks there, especially at lunch time. Very few people walk across Rt. 7, however. (And I should also note that right now I drive more because it's a little cold for too much walking, LOL).

Old 01-05-2011, 07:35 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,948,929 times
Here's a photo tour you might find interesting. This hasn't been updated since July, and construction has progressed quite a bit since that time. So if any of you who work out that way want an interesting lunch time project, it would be great to have new photos to show how the construction is coming along.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/north...ng-silver.html

Old 01-05-2011, 08:04 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,091,039 times
Tysons is not hip, but it's still a magnet and effectively the center of NoVa. It's home to the largest concentration of jobs in NoVa; it has the top shopping centers in the region; it is close to the largest concentration of upper-income communities (Great Falls, McLean, Vienna and City of Falls Church); and the nearby high schools are consistently among the highest performing schools in NoVa. People who can take advantage of all this (for example, live in McLean or Vienna, work at Capital One, SAIC or Freddie Mac, shop at the Galleria, and send their kids to McLean, Marshall or Madison) are, in fact, often very enthusiastic about the area.

On the other hand, there are far more people who work in Tysons than live there, it grew topsy-turvy and is not aesthetically pleasing, and traffic can be horrible. As a result, people are sensibly thinking about what can be done to improve Tysons. The improvements fall into two categories - (1) infrastructure projects that are now underway (such as bringing Metro to Tysons); and (2) large-scale redesign projects (which are far less certain ever to occur).

As to the former, it's made Tysons more congested than ever right now, but some of us remember what Rockville Pike was like when the Red Line was being extended to Shady Grove. It takes time to build subway stations and, yes, it's inconvenient in the short-term, but extending Metro to Tysons makes perfect sense and will benefit the region.

As the larger plans to redesign Tysons, make it pedestrian-friendly, etc., my guess is that there ultimately will be a series of incremental steps over many years to redesign parts of Tysons. When push comes to shove, the powers that be will be hesitant to "kill the goose that laid the golden egg." A place like Old Town Alexandria is pretty and pedestrian-friendly, but far more businesses have wanted to be in high rises and office parks in Tysons near the Beltway and Dulles instead. Large chunks of Tysons will only be redesigned if, at the end of the day, someone is going to be there to pay for it and the changes expand, rather than diminish, the tax base.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia