Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-06-2011, 09:44 AM
 
5,391 posts, read 7,240,714 times
Reputation: 2857

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
This might be difficult for some to accept but there's a lot of truth to it. I did notice a lot of participation of non-white parents in our Mount Vernon FFX County schools so perhaps our environoment down here is a little different. Not so many snooty yuppies who think they know better than everyone else.
The nugget of truth in that post is that lower-income people can have a more difficult time to get to school functions because of work requirements.

That idea, contained among accusations of...elites and snooty housewives, or that some people don't get involved in their kids' school because of snooty parents, does not in my opinion make for a post with "a lot of truth."

I wouldn't characterize the people who are most active in the public school community as snooty, stuck-up, or elite. Have you experienced otherwise?

Last edited by FindingZen; 03-07-2011 at 11:43 AM.. Reason: deleted out reference to previously edited post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-06-2011, 09:52 AM
 
Location: Maine
2,517 posts, read 3,420,253 times
Reputation: 3905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dessalines View Post
Part of the reason that you don't see many black parents at PTA meetings is because the organization is dominated by a bunch of elitist stuck up house wives whose attitude is pretty much reflected in your post. Most of the black families (we all know low income in this area means nonwhite usually black) have been in the area since it was a combination of small shops and farms. Most of the white families of less economic means moved further south to be replaced by immigrants and the people who hire them ie people with higher incomes and education levels from places other then Alexandria. Aside from not wanting to be around a bunch of...elitist, many younger less educated parents work in the service industries that require shift work. As someone of participates in sports as a volunteer coach I often have to schedule events around shift work because I want people to be in a position to participate. Perhaps the PTA could do the same.
GREAT post! I completely agree with you. So true.

We experienced some seriously disturbed PTA moms (and dads, but mostly moms) who felt they were entitled to run the FCPS school as though it was a private school. Two principals quit/left the job. In their deluded minds, these women were quite happy with themselves. They could not see a problem with their method, even if it slapped them in the face.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2011, 11:37 AM
 
5,125 posts, read 10,103,693 times
Reputation: 2871
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
The nugget of truth in that post is that lower-income people can have a more difficult time to get to school functions because of work requirements.

That idea, contained among accusations of prescription drug abusing elites and snooty housewives, or that some people don't get involved in their kids' school because of snooty parents, does not in my opinion make for a post with "a lot of truth."

I wouldn't characterize the people who are most active in the public school community as snooty, stuck-up, or elite. Have you experienced otherwise?
Whenever I see a "queen bee" in action at a PTA function, I remind myself that, whatever else I may think, it's hard to argue that she or he is overpaid for her/his contributions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2011, 11:44 AM
 
5,125 posts, read 10,103,693 times
Reputation: 2871
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
This might be difficult for some to accept but there's a lot of truth to it. I did notice a lot of participation of non-white parents in our Mount Vernon FFX County schools so perhaps our environoment down here is a little different.
The majority of parents and students in the Mount Vernon-area schools are now non-white, so one would certainly expect to see greater non-white representation in the PTA, etc. Plus, the Mount Vernon area attracts a lot of military families, and the military has been a leader in terms of integration and promotion of minorities. Perhaps that gives non-white parents a greater sense of confidence that their contributions will be welcomed and appreciated than in other parts of NoVa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2011, 12:43 PM
 
Location: Maine
2,517 posts, read 3,420,253 times
Reputation: 3905
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
The majority of parents and students in the Mount Vernon-area schools are now non-white, so one would certainly expect to see greater non-white representation in the PTA, etc. Plus, the Mount Vernon area attracts a lot of military families, and the military has been a leader in terms of integration and promotion of minorities. Perhaps that gives non-white parents a greater sense of confidence that their contributions will be welcomed and appreciated than in other parts of NoVa.
There is one area of Mount Vernon that is an exception to your assessment. You've mentioned it once in another post/different thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2011, 11:20 AM
 
1,624 posts, read 4,873,962 times
Reputation: 1308
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
Anyway, are the schools in Alexandria "good" or pretty much just as good as Fairfax public schools? I figure most of my child's education really falls on my shoulders, but I want to be sure she's got a good foundation when she's in school. I can't afford private school, so public school quality is at the top of my list when house hunting.

Thanks!
Here's my quick take. The City of Alexandria, particularly the middle and high schools, serve three very distinct constituents: 1) public housing unit kids, 2) recent immigrant kids mostly from central and south america, and 3) middle class kids from ALL races.

It's probably the only high school with large numbers in each of these categories in the NoVa with those proporations. It makes strange bedfellows and unique challenges for the school system. Some folks are OK with it, some are not. A lot are OK with it, but notice that there are fine schools and similarly priced housing stock nearby without those issues if they don't already own a home in the City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2011, 03:43 PM
 
Location: Huntersville/Charlotte, NC and Washington, DC
26,701 posts, read 41,809,416 times
Reputation: 41398
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim04 View Post
Here's my quick take. The City of Alexandria, particularly the middle and high schools, serve three very distinct constituents: 1) public housing unit kids, 2) recent immigrant kids mostly from central and south america, and 3) middle class kids from ALL races.

It's probably the only high school with large numbers in each of these categories in the NoVa with those proporations. It makes strange bedfellows and unique challenges for the school system. Some folks are OK with it, some are not. A lot are OK with it, but notice that there are fine schools and similarly priced housing stock nearby without those issues if they don't already own a home in the City.
One thing that parents don't realize is that these "constituents" are in the real world and you can't really distance yourself from them especially if you plan to stay in the DC area forever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2011, 06:56 AM
 
Location: Everywhere and Nowhere
14,129 posts, read 31,295,823 times
Reputation: 6921
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
The majority of parents and students in the Mount Vernon-area schools are now non-white, so one would certainly expect to see greater non-white representation in the PTA, etc. Plus, the Mount Vernon area attracts a lot of military families, and the military has been a leader in terms of integration and promotion of minorities. Perhaps that gives non-white parents a greater sense of confidence that their contributions will be welcomed and appreciated than in other parts of NoVa.
After I posted I had exactly that thought about the military influence. Good follow-up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top