Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 05:36 PM

696 posts, read 1,694,667 times

Advertisements

My daughter (almost 5) is begging me for a garden! I've never had a garden and was thinking of starting off small....maybe tomatoes. Any advice for things to look out for (including squirrels) in NOVA? Should I just grow them in pots?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2010, 06:01 PM

107 posts, read 250,825 times
I know nothing about gardening but with the price of tomatoes these days - that is a great idea!

Old 03-06-2010, 06:21 PM

628 posts, read 1,933,587 times
If you have a sunny spot on your property to turn over and enrich some soil, plant in the ground vs. pots. The problem with pots is they evaporate soil moisture too quickly, so if you don't stay on top of watering, you could damage or lose your plants. The ground holds its moisture much better. Start now with a cool weather crop like spinach, lettuce, salad greens, or spring onions. Tomatoes, cukes, and many other vegetables don't grow much until May when the soil temp reaches a certain level, so it's fruitless to begin them earlier. Start the warm weather plants amid the cool weather ones so they get a head start before the latter bolt and go to seed, at which time you should pull them out. Tomatoes are an excellent idea. You won't need more than one or two plants to bear many fruit later in summer. Try one more vegetable with the tomatoes to give your daughter another plant to excite her. You definitely should do this for your daughter, particularly because it's her initiative. Who knows where this could lead: an interest in botany or biology; an understanding of the benefits of organic growing; or learning about the nutritional value of vegetables and other foods. Who knows--she may even want to marry a farmer some day!

Old 03-06-2010, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudo View Post
I know nothing about gardening but with the price of tomatoes these days - that is a great idea!
My thought exactly!!!

Old 03-06-2010, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by statecollege View Post
If you have a sunny spot on your property to turn over and enrich some soil, plant in the ground vs. pots. The problem with pots is they evaporate soil moisture too quickly, so if you don't stay on top of watering, you could damage or lose your plants. The ground holds its moisture much better. Start now with a cool weather crop like spinach, lettuce, salad greens, or spring onions. Tomatoes, cukes, and many other vegetables don't grow much until May when the soil temp reaches a certain level, so it's fruitless to begin them earlier. Start the warm weather plants amid the cool weather ones so they get a head start before the latter bolt and go to seed, at which time you should pull them out. Tomatoes are an excellent idea. You won't need more than one or two plants to bear many fruit later in summer. Try one more vegetable with the tomatoes to give your daughter another plant to excite her. You definitely should do this for your daughter, particularly because it's her initiative. Who knows where this could lead: an interest in botany or biology; an understanding of the benefits of organic growing; or learning about the nutritional value of vegetables and other foods. Who knows--she may even want to marry a farmer some day!
That's exactly the info I was looking for!! Thank you so much. Do I need to worry about insects or other feasting on tomatoes? This is definitely the year we are going to plant. We bought our house this past fall in NOVA. One of the things we were looking at during the buying process was an area to plant a garden.

Old 03-06-2010, 07:32 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,248,320 times
Last frost date here is around April 15 (easy to remember) so wait until then to put tomato plants outside.

Old 03-07-2010, 05:30 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,946,617 times
Do you have a deck? I'd grow them on a deck or a blacony to avoid having them eaten by critters. They also have devices that grow tomato plants upside down. They look like hanging plants. I hear they work very well, and that keeps the critters from getting at them too.

Old 03-08-2010, 09:28 AM

5,014 posts, read 6,601,408 times
If you're outside the Beltway, you'll definitely need to invest in some wire mesh to keep the deer from eating your plants. Although last freeze is around April 15, tomatoes need warm ground for good root growth and so waiting to plant until mid-May generally makes for a better planting date. You can push things along some by surrounding young plants with plastic bottles filled with water -- acts as a heat trap and wind block and keeps them protected while they're setting roots.

Also, pick your varieties. You'll want indeterminate vines -- they set fruit all season -- some salad size (Early Girl, Rutgers are pretty reliable), maybe one grape/cherry (Sweet Millions), and some sandwich & salad 'maters such as Cherokee, German Pink, Mr. Stripey, Big Boy, Best Boy. DO NOT get Better Boy -- it's a mealy, near tasteless variety. If you can find Carmello plants, get some. Great flavor that has to be homegrown because the fruits do not travel well at all.

Old 01-17-2011, 01:34 PM

bumping - We grew tomatoes, basil, arugula and strawberries last year. This year we're going a bit bigger with a 6x6 raised bed. I found a great garden planner on Gardener's Supply Company | Garden Supplies, Gardening Tools and Gardening Tips for Home Gardeners. My oldest is super excited and well I am too.

Old 01-18-2011, 01:14 PM

361 posts, read 737,442 times
There is not too much that eats tomatoes...you may see the occasional tomato hornworm. The plant itself does not attract bugs, may be toxic. Get poles or cages in early -- best to keep the tomatoes off the ground. Leave plenty of room. Lots of sun. Enough water. Plenty of mulch, it seems to disappear quickly in the summer heat. Years ago we would feed them a big bucket of milk -- made from powdered milk that was cheap then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia